import duties, applying to USED audio gear as well?
Oct 8, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry for placing this here, but I don't have any idea where to place this subject and I think this here is the right place (miscallaneous).
Unfortunately I had to pay 208,58 euro when the (used) B-Stock Aci Emerald XL speakers arrived that I had ordered from the Audio Concepts Inc.
$500 USD value (contents: speakers) was written down on custom declaration sheet.
Do import duties also apply to used audio gear?
From my experience, if it's true that it's USED (not new) electronics, you can sometimes avoid customs.
If not, I should start an investigation (file claim) and request a refund of the import duties from the customs!
I hope I will get it back because it was clearly described that the ACI parcel contained used audio gear!

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 14
Which shipping company was used for mailing? From experience, everything will have duty from imports over a certain amount. That is why for used gear people will always ask the seller to lower the value of the item purchased so they can avoid duty/taxes. All retailers had to pay duty and taxes for getting products in from other countries. I personally think it's ridiculous that duty and taxes are applied on used gear (personal sales). Custom doesn't really care either but if you want full insurance then the exact value must be declared.

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 14
Those speakers must have been expensive. Otherwise you could have asked the seller to list the parcel as a gift + write a value on it that's way lower than the actual price.
Dutch customs don't go through your stuff when it's <150€. So, as long as the seller lists your stuff <150€ customs will pretty much ignore your parcel. Only downside is insurance. It seems logical that you won't get 1000€ back if the stated value was put on 50€.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Yesterday, I started a file claim against the customs!
I believe I will be able to get a refund for the BTW import (import duties/tax) I had to pay.
I am sure BTW import does not apply to USED (second hand) audio (electronic gear) products.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those speakers must have been expensive. Otherwise you could have asked the seller to list the parcel as a gift + write a value on it that's way lower than the actual price.
Dutch customs don't go through your stuff when it's <150€. So, as long as the seller lists your stuff <150€ customs will pretty much ignore your parcel. Only downside is insurance. It seems logical that you won't get 1000€ back if the stated value was put on 50€.

Pfft. You're lucky. Here it's <45e
frown.gif

Though I hear the customs might open your parcels (or hold them and ask you to come over and open it in front of an official) and not necessarily believe it's worth what is stated in the declaration form.

Anyway, to the OP: yes, taxes and customs apply to used stuff as well, at least here.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm pretty sure it's €22 in the Netherlands for normal goods, and €45 also for goods declared as gift.

And yes, customs also apply to used goods, or everyone could just declare their items as used to avoid fees.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Where was it shipped from? Do not forget that there are two costs which can apply: 1) customs duties, and 2) VAT.

For example, here in SA, used goods generally are exempt from customs duties (though some categories still get hit for customs duties such as jewellery). However, the VAT of 14% applies to ANY incoming package, regardless of being new or used.

The reason I asked where your package came from is since if it was shipped from outside Europe, the EU tax would apply (19% IIRC).

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Import duties (VAT that is) is quite normal when importing used audio gear.
You should only pay VAT of the buying price though.

If you bought from within EU it may of course be different.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where was it shipped from? Do not forget that there are two costs which can apply: 1) customs duties, and 2) VAT.

For example, here in SA, used goods generally are exempt from customs duties (though some categories still get hit for customs duties such as jewellery). However, the VAT of 14% applies to ANY incoming package, regardless of being new or used.

The reason I asked where your package came from is since if it was shipped from outside Europe, the EU tax would apply (19% IIRC).

It was shipped from the USA, ACI (ACI Audio Gear Specials and B-Stocks!). B-Stock speakers.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 14
Ive been sort of lucky in the past months. Bought a couple of things abroad ranging from $150 and upwards and didn't pay any import duties, just a really small handling fee, if i were to equate it to dollars it would be a $3 handling fee.
Yet, i ordered some cosmetics for my wife the other day, and its value was $40 with free shipping as well, and then i got hit by customs for 14%, which was weird.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 14
In the end it all depends on the value declared by the one who ship out the parcel.
Sometimes you get "lucky" and get hit by no VAT at all, while other times you have to pay the full VAT as expected.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 14
Everyone has parcels declared as a "Gift" trick, and that never works when you declare a high dollar amount value, especially if it's insured.

I've had luck with sending stuff to the UK labelled as a "Commercial Sample" instead. Don't know if that will work with other EU countries, though.

Oct 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 14
Don't I know the story well. 20% import duty (assessed on cost, insurance and freight so more like 25-30% on cost) in Cayman so I'd hate to even begin to think about how much I've paid those rascals for new and used audio gear over the years. Could buy a new car with it. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back