Impedence adapter??
Jul 7, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always used .25 W metal film resistors. the small blue ones.

Can SMD resistors be used? I want to increase the impedence (resistance) of my koss plugs, and want to try SMD resistors inside the driver enclosure.

thanks!!
Garrett

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 12
OK thanks!!

I've always made my adapters with the resistor in-line on the "+" side of the driver. Does it make a difference which side of the driver its on?

thanks!!

Jul 13, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
OK thanks!!

I've always made my adapters with the resistor in-line on the "+" side of the driver. Does it make a difference which side of the driver its on?

thanks!!

AFAIK yes, because the ground is shared. At least I've done my DT831's as you described, and they sound pretty kickass. I don't feel like futzing with the other way to find out
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Yes, the - is ground and should be as low in resistance as possible.

i disagree with that.

once the 2 sides "join" the resistance should be as low as possible. if you are going to use a 3-wire cable for example, putting a single resistor in the plug on the "ground wire" would be a terrible idea. it may result in some interesting sonic efects-perhaps even exciting
wink.gif

the drivers dont care if the resistors are on the positive or negative side of them. this may be a leftover misconception from loudspeaker crossover design where it makes a larger diference in weather signals are in phase or not from driver to driver.

they dont really care if they are wired with the postitive or negative sides towards the "ground line" as long as they both share similar phase. i remain doubtfull of people who say they can hear if a single driver system inverts phase or not.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
For adding resistors to headphones SMC is definitly the way to go if possible, I got one inside the KSC75's much easier than trying to fit a huge through-hole one in there. See "Koss Monsters" for pic, it's tiny and much easier to solder and fit.

Of course you could use through-holes, and put them inside the jack.

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Although I'm haven't tested it myself I did read that it was better to connect the resistor straight across the +/- contacts on the headphone, plus it was just easier to do it for me.

I was wondering about that too... wire the resistor in parallel with the voicecoil , or in series? Ive always done it in series. For me, I'm just trying to get the impedence up to an optimal range for my amps.

Heres a pic... resistor in series. The resulting impedence is a happy 85 ohms. NO HISS !!! Woohoo!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try it on my KSC75 now
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back