Impedance Matching
Jul 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SilentNote

100+ Head-Fier
I’m getting a new IEM with fairly low impedance at 16 ohms. My iPhone has an output impedance 4-5ohms.

I’ve read that it’s best to have an output impedance 1/8 - 1/10 of the headphone impedance.

Will I benefit from having some kind of resistor adaptor added?

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 9
So after some research, impedance adaptors actually increase output impedance.

Faux output impedance decreasing adaptors are either a diy thing and wastes power.

The simplest solution to my problem is actually getting a lighting to 3.5mm adaptor that Apple sells. It has 1ohm output impedance that will match nicely with the 16ohm IEM.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 9
-solid objective answer:
it depends.

-vague attempt at explaining:
ensuring a good damping ratio helps reduce the potential variations that could occur. so it's usually advised as a pretty simple trick to increase overall stability between amp and transducer. or simply because that's been the electrical standard for a few decades now. but it's not meant to claim that things will go wrong as soon as you don't have a good damping ratio.
as for some impedance adapters, again, the general rule of thumb is not to use them because it will come at a cost for the system. so it's not recommended by default. but every time we're in a situation with a serious issue and an adapter can help reduce or remove that issue, of course it's probably going to make sense to apply that band-aid, considering that it's well worth the smaller side effects if it fixes our big problem.

-solid general advice(but you do what you want, I'm not the police):
don't try to fix a problem before you're sure you have it. :wink:

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 9
What iem? Curious what its impedance curve looks like. Driver damping is not the only consideration, but tonal changes can occur as well with too high an output impedance.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Acoustune HS1670SS paired with iPhone SE. The 1670 has a nominal impedance of 16ohms.

As far as I can tell from ifixit teardown, the SE has the same audio chip as the 6s which means the output impedance is somewhere from 4.5-6.9 ohms, depends on who measured it.

I’ve gotten the iPhone 7 lightning to 3.5mm adaptor laying around. The adaptor has an output impedance of 0.4 ohm. So I should be set to compare the sound between the built in 3.5mm and the adaptor.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 9
looking around on their website the impedance is actually quoted at 24 ohms, not 16, so you won't be that far off. i recently picked up n5005 with the current massive sale going on which are rated at 18 and have been exclusively listening with my iphone SE and i don't have any perceived issues of a mismatch.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 9
looking around on their website the impedance is actually quoted at 24 ohms, not 16, so you won't be that far off. i recently picked up n5005 with the current massive sale going on which are rated at 18 and have been exclusively listening with my iphone SE and i don't have any perceived issues of a mismatch.

Hmm you are right. I misread the specs. I think they should work ok together then.

I’ll still test it over the apple adaptor and see if there’s any difference, when it gets delivered.

Thanks for checking it out.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9
even if it was 16 ohms, it's a single dynamic driver and not nearly as prone to FR skew due to a wild impedance curves like many multi BA units. I really think you'll be fine with the headphone out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back