Impedance Adaptor - educate me
May 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hikari

New Head-Fier
Good day guys. 

I'm looking to make an Impedance adaptor for my IEM's (Monster Miles davis trumpets)

I can't find any info online about the specs of these IEM's 

I hooked up my Fluke meter and tested my Q701's and gave me a reading of 60ohms I know by there specs its 62ohms so I can see this can be off by 2ohms 

I hooked up the IEM's to the meter and got 1.8ohms I will assume they are 2ohms ( would love if anyone could enlighten me on the true specs of these)

Ok that being said I would like to hook them up so my SCHIIT LYR amp the spec's on the output is 8-600ohms

-- So with this information would it be safe to say I would need a 6ohm resistor for each side (left and right)

Please enlighten me on any of this. I welcome any form of education....

Thanks 

May 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 5
When you are checking the impedance of the headphones with a multimeter, you
are measuring the DC resistance of the voice coil (or x-over). The rating the manufacturer
gives for an impedance value is the AC impedance at some arbitrary frequency.
The impedance of any driver varies over the range of frequencies with lower impedance
at lower frequencies and rising with frequency.

As for your situation, as long as you Lyr doesn't protest, it should be fine driving
your IEM's. Adding some resistance to the outputs may just upset the frequency
responce of your IEM's, which are probably expecting an output impedance of
the amplifier to be as close to zero as practical.

May 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Arrow thank you for the reply. 

Yes I understand the AC/DC measuring which is why I measured something I knew the awnser for the q401's
I'm using what I have at the moment. 

As for the LYR .. Schiit ceo says I quote "IEMs are out with Lyr--it's too noisy, as you've noticed"

And I do agree I hear some noise in them, I'm figuring it's due to mis matched impedance but I have know knowledge on this subject.

Am I totally wrong on this thinking. Seeing the IEM's have an ohm rating for 1.8 (note I could be off by 2 being a total close to 4)
Like I stated before using what I have and asking for help on spec's if anyone is aware of them for this IEM there not published by monster. 

May 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Since they are meant to be driven by portable devices it does not make sense that they have such low impedance as 2 or 4 ohms. They should normally have an impedance close to 16 ohms or more. If they were to have an impedance of like 4 ohms they would require a relatively high current that portable devices would not be able to provide. I think the impedance match should be fine if the amp is capable of driving 8-600 ohm loads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back