Impact of the volume control on the overall sound
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #16 of 44
Transducers are where most of the error in an audio system is. DACs are designed to be audibly transparent. If they aren't they probably have manufacturing defects. And if it's broken, it isn't likely to be an improvement.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #18 of 44
And just to illustrate the psychological effect of these things, the Koss ESP/950, being a stat, comes with its own amp, which has a split volume knob that a lot of people find annoying as hell. I can control the volume via my notebook but had read somewhere that the sound is better if you max out the volume on your computer and control it via the amp. Finally, though, I found the split knob so annoying that I went the other way: maxed out the amp's volume and am now controlling the sound using my notebook. Sounds fantastic. Of course, I have to be careful not to start playing music with the headphones already on or I'll blow my eardrums. I just mention this to illustrate how silly some beliefs can be, almost verging on the superstitious.
It's probably better to set your digital level at 100%, adjust your amp's volume for loud listening sessions with the less sensitive headphone, then leave it that way and from now on adjust the volume level with the notebook. Most amplifiers don't perform at their best when maxed out. Plus if you have to attenuate a lot on the notebook, you might start to increase the quantization noise by an unnecessary/undesired amount.
So I believe that my proposition is beneficial for you and it keeps the very practical control from the notebook.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #19 of 44
And just to illustrate the psychological effect of these things, the Koss ESP/950, being a stat, comes with its own amp, which has a split volume knob that a lot of people find annoying as hell. I can control the volume via my notebook but had read somewhere that the sound is better if you max out the volume on your computer and control it via the amp. Finally, though, I found the split knob so annoying that I went the other way: maxed out the amp's volume and am now controlling the sound using my notebook. Sounds fantastic. Of course, I have to be careful not to start playing music with the headphones already on or I'll blow my eardrums. I just mention this to illustrate how silly some beliefs can be, almost verging on the superstitious.
Hi very interesting. I can only say that the usual situation do not require to change the volume level often ... after some tests i set the volume and i listen. If i need the urge to change a volume is usually a bad sign ... like a chair not completely comfortable. Moreover the listening at low level to me is very telling. I listen for a sort of "completeness" in the sound. With all frequencies rendered at the same level ... i am also forced to do this for neighbours. Of course not an issue with headphones but with headphones i have the soundstage issue ....

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 44
Hi so you mean to put more effort in selecting speakers or headphones ?

Yes, the general rule of thumb is to choose players, DACs and amps for features that you want, and choose headphones and speakers for the way they sound. If your transducers are good, even inexpensive equipment will make them sound good (as long as the amp has the power to push them).

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 44
It's probably better to set your digital level at 100%, adjust your amp's volume for loud listening sessions with the less sensitive headphone, then leave it that way and from now on adjust the volume level with the notebook. Most amplifiers don't perform at their best when maxed out. Plus if you have to attenuate a lot on the notebook, you might start to increase the quantization noise by an unnecessary/undesired amount.
So I believe that my proposition is beneficial for you and it keeps the very practical control from the notebook.
If you mean with my less sensitive pair of headphones, it's an amp/energizer made specifically for the 950, so I'm not going to be driving any other cans from it. But thank you for the advice. I maxed out the notebook's volume, adjusted the volume on the amp to where it was very loud to listen to but not maxed out, left it there, lowered the volume on the notebook, and will continue controlling the volume from the notebook (through Audirvana). So the amp volume is now very loud but not maxed out.

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 44
I think the maximum output from computers is pretty close to line level. At least it is on Mac.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #23 of 44
Yes, the general rule of thumb is to choose players, DACs and amps for features that you want, and choose headphones and speakers for the way they sound. If your transducers are good, even inexpensive equipment will make them sound good (as long as the amp has the power to push them).
Hi and thanks again. I think i am fascinated more by electronics. I cannot explain why ... maybe because they look more complicated ? actually if i had time i would like to start with some restoration project ... taking let's say a good vintage amp, cleaning it and replacing key parts with good new ones even if time consuming and expensive.
I am going off topic now ... but i remember an old review on a Jeff Rowland power amp i think it was. There were two versions ... one standard and another one completely rewired with high end wiring inside ... maybe Monster Cable ? the rewired version sounded quite better.
Looking inside an amp i have often been surprised to see thin cables used to connect the speakers. Do they know the Ohm law ? the more the current the bigger must be the section. I am quite sure that just addressing these small details can pay dividend for sound. Like a debottlenecking project. For both power supply rails and speakers outputs.
Thanks again, gino

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 44
Design is about form following function. It isn't about making the most beautiful thing to look at. It's about creating an elegant solution to a problem. A lot of audiophilia loses track of that and ends up gilding the lily in ways that make no functional difference. It just adds complexity, cost and lack of focus to the design.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #25 of 44
Design is about form following function. It isn't about making the most beautiful thing to look at. It's about creating an elegant solution to a problem. A lot of audiophilia loses track of that and ends up gilding the lily in ways that make no functional difference. It just adds complexity, cost and lack of focus to the design
Hi ! of course i agree about the supremacy of the design above any other aspect. But in the consumer audio (much more often than in professional audio) strange things happen. For instance they do not use connectors already available, cheap and superior by design (BNC) in favour of RCA hugely expensive. Even for digital signals RCA are everywhere. Not so for scopes where the signal integrity and quality of transmission is a must. A strange world. Often i have found male and female RCAs too loose or too tight. And then in order to get a good matching i was advised to buy a male-female RCA couple from an high end brand that was costing like the value of the units to be connected. Only Dartzeel use bnc. And again it is a very cheap and readily available connector. So much better than the off the shelf rca. At least for SPDIF signals transfer they should have looked at scopes first and using the same BNC 50 ohm standard good for frequencies up to MHz ...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 44
Connectors and tone controls are only a problem if they are defective. A modern amp is not going to have problems like that. And EQ is for correcting imbalances in the transducers, not the amp. One would expect even an inexpensive modern amp to be flat and clean. The problems you’re describing just aren’t common in modern amps.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #27 of 44
Connectors and tone controls are only a problem if they are defective. A modern amp is not going to have problems like that.
I can only assure you that if i had to build something DIY for myself i would think seriously to bnc cables and connectors also for analog signals
They are superior by design They are cheap, actually dirty cheap ...
https://it.rs-online.com/web/p/cavi...2CvTbuIQwdgQZDAFT5xoCX2AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
If they are good even for scope probes ... What more is needed ?
Speaking of tone controls i have even taken out the balance control from my preamp (no tone controls) because i read somewhere about some crosstalk. It could have not been the culprit Anyway now it is not for sure. Very often less is more.
And EQ is for correcting imbalances in the transducers, not the amp. One would expect even an inexpensive modern amp to be flat and clean. The problems you’re describing just aren’t common in modern amps.
So you are using EQ during your listenings ? or perfectly balanced transducers ?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #28 of 44
[1] But if the volume pot is not that important why some audio designers select and use very expensive parts like precision stepped attenuators or rotary pot like Penny & Giles, TKD units ? is it just marketing ?

[1a] Hi i agree completely with what you say but the bigger damage to sound is done at the beginning of the chain
[2] Just to ramble a little i have a dac that imho is quite insensitive to incoming jitter an apogee rosetta 200 It converts quite well even the sound coming from the tv optical out that i guess is not the best at all
[3] Moreover the preamp can have a huge impact on sound more than the power amp for instance
Or the preamp stage in an integrated
[3a] I was looking at Burson units the best ones have stepped attenuators i guess for a reason
[4] i would be interested to read stories of people who had a volume pot replaced with a better one in their preamps/amps and what the results have been

1. Whether or not it's "just marketing" depends on which "audio designers" you're talking about, what product the part is in and who that product is aimed at. For example, Penny & Giles rotary or linear pots are extremely common in high end Pro-Audio equipment for two reasons: Firstly, they are very robustly engineered. This is vital because the pots maybe adjusted dozens or many hundreds of times a day, pretty much every day for years and by people (engineers) who typically don't personally own the equipment and therefore may not be especially careful/gentle with it. And Secondly, they are very precisely engineered. They're very accurate with low noise/distortion, which is important because there can be several of them "in the chain" in series, starting with the the mic pre-amp pot virtually at the beginning of the chain, which could be amplified by as much as 1,000 times, by the end of the mastering process. In your case though (a consumer), it IS effectively "just marketing" because the pots are NOT going to be subject to anywhere near the sort of physical abuse they have to endure in a studio/pro-audio environment AND because:
1a. True but anything you, the consumer does is NOT at the beginning of the chain, it's at the very end of the chain! The beginning of the chain is the musician/sound source, then comes the microphone and then the mic pre-amp (with a rotary pot), after that we'll have the trim pot on the desk and probably a further dozen or more subsequent pots in the chain, although for the last 1-2 decades more of these pots are now digital/virtual (though not necessarily all).

2. Any decent DAC, even a cheap one, should be insensitive to incoming jitter beyond the limits of audibility, regardless of optical or any other transport protocol.

3. Sure, if it's broken or faulty, otherwise it has no audible impact on sound let alone a "huge impact". Even the pots in mic pre-amps don't have a "huge impact on sound" and their "impact" is probably up to about 1,000 times more "huge" than the impact of the pot on your speaker pre-amp!
3a. Professional mic pre-amp units always (as far as I recall) have stepped pots, mainly for the precise calibration they allow relative to the other input channels/mics. But again, this is at the beginning of the chain, pretty much every subsequent pot in the production chain is not stepped.

4. That would be a thread you should probably start in one of the other forums on head-fi, because this is the Sound Science subforum, not the Sound Stories subforum. Although, if "what the results have been" are objective, then those results would be appropriate here.

[1] I did some experiments comparing a 10k log Alps Blue Velvet with a 10k log stepped attenuator with the resistors in series (not the very best) used as passive preamp ... in the same chain the sound was quite different.
[1a] And i preferred the stepped attenuator ... the system was more transparent, more detail ... better soundstage ... more dynamics.

1. I would very much like to see the results of those experiments, if as you claim, they show "the sound was quite different".
1a. Hang on, are these the results of your "experiments"? If so, then you seem to have actually done some informal, subjective comparisons, NOT "some experiments"! And if so, you do NOT know if you actually compared "a 10k Alps Blue Velvet with a 10k log stepped attenuator" or if in fact you just compared your perception/s!

Moreover the listening at low level to me is very telling. I listen for a sort of "completeness" in the sound. With all frequencies rendered at the same level ... i am also forced to do this for neighbours.

How is listening at low level "very telling" to you? The frequency response of human hearing/perception is NOT the same at different listening levels, see "equal loudness contours". So, "a sort of completeness in the sound with all the frequencies rendered at the same level" at a typical listening level will NOT sound like "all the frequencies are rendered at the same level" at a low listening level, it would sound significantly bass light.

[1] But in the consumer audio (more than on professional audio) strange things happen. For instance they do not use connectors already available, cheap and superior by design (BNC) in favour of RCA hugely expensive.
[1a] Even for digital signals RCA are everywhere.
[1b] Not so for scopes where the signal integrity and quality of transmission is a must. A strange world.
[2] If the goal is to reproduce the recordings what is the reason of eq it again ? i do not understand

1. Sure, there are some silly audiophile RCA cables that are "hugely expensive" but standard RCA connectors are no more expensive that BNC connectors. And, BNC connectors are almost never used for analogue audio signals, even in professional audio. In pro-audio, unbalanced analogue audio signals virtually always use 1/4" Jack connectors and balanced uses XLR.
1a. Again in pro-audio, BNC is virtually never used for digital audio signals, with the exception of some MADI variants. Typically it's XLR again or d-sub connectors for multi-channel.
1b. Scopes are one of the few applications where I've seen BNC connectors for (unbalanced) audio connections. BUT, using a BNC connector is not necessarily the "superior by design" choice. A connector that simply pulls out (does not lock) is the superior design in some situations. For example, in a consumer situation, where the cables might be exposed and caught/tripped on, it's obviously "superior" to just have the cable pull free rather than pulling the connected unit to the ground. And, if electric guitars used BNC connectors instead of jacks, quite a few guitarists would have inadvertently snapped their own necks, which in music circles would be decidedly "un-cool" compared to drug or alcohol overdose, suicide or being shot to death! :)

2. Two potential reasons: Firstly, personal preference, for example "bass-heads" EQ significantly more bass and Secondly, when reproducing recordings, the speakers/HPs, listening room acoustics or an individual's hearing may not have the frequency response expected by those who created the recording, in these cases EQ can often be used to somewhat compensate.

G

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 44
For instance they do not use connectors already available, cheap and superior by design (BNC) in favour of RCA hugely expensive. Even for digital signals RCA are everywhere.

Now this, I have some experience with. The RCA ports on the back of my vintage EQ box are not exactly perfect. I remember one of the ports in particular, allowing one of the connectors to go on barely snug at all. Where as my modern S.M.S.L SP200 amp, its RCA ports, allow me to get a very tight fit, with my Monoprice RCA cables.

XLR does have its place, but like you said, its not usually found in the consumer market. You don't find XLR on consumer gear, there's none on my computer, nor TV, nor vintage EQ box. The only thing that has XLR is in that new SP200 amp of mine. But if everything were to have XLR connections, then at least you would have a good solid locking connection to not have to worry about.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 44
So you are using EQ during your listenings ? or perfectly balanced transducers ?

There's no such thing as perfectly balanced speakers. Even if there was, it wouldn't be balanced any more the second you put them in your living room. My system is calibrated to my own target curve using EQ. It's all digital though using HDMI and Apple dock. No RCA connectors left.

Removing tone controls from an amp is like removing the steering wheel of a car and resolving to just drive on straight roads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back