iModders, Is This How It Is?
Aug 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What portable source do you recommend that runs 10+ hours on a charge, has 80GB+ storage for lossless, is easily obtainable, and has fool proof ripping/incremental uploading software? Oh, and it has to drive full sized cans.

Bonus points if the same software also connects wirelessly to a low-noise, low-profile device in my den and publishes its content to an internal drive so my laptop can be turned off yet the device still plays tracks through my AV system.

Not to mention that it'll downright last for years due to sublime customer service. Hard drive replacements/battery replacements. All covered.

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #32 of 51
I do wish that the caps were inside. The dock makes me nervous, and any time it even so much as gets tapped (way too much vertical deflection/play), I hear it, so I have to be pretty careful. I don't want to ruin a $85 dock or even worse damage the line out on the actual unit. In fact, I understand that rockbox for the 4g also does gapless? If I can get a larger HDD in the 4g iMod, I might just "downgrade" for longevity's sake.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed a very love/hate relationship with the iMod. I plan to get one myself around the holiday season. The one thing I want to know from the people who would not pay the price for an iMod... What kind of "real source" might I be happier with?

You'll definitely be happy with Marantz/Rega/Arcam CDPs -> Benchmark DAC1 -> RSA B-52 - those are "Real Source"
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll definitely be happy with Marantz/Rega/Arcam CDPs -> Benchmark DAC1 -> RSA B-52 - those are "Real Source"
evil_smiley.gif

If only I had $2500 to blow on all that, makes the testes shrivel. I think I'd need a good set of 2 channel speakers also. Man, to have a standalone media center with just the DAC1 and some balanced cabled UE-11s. An amazing hi-fidelity social depravation chamber. Such a nice DAC would be wasted on me with my budget.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed a very love/hate relationship with the iMod. I plan to get one myself around the holiday season. The one thing I want to know from the people who would not pay the price for an iMod... What kind of "real source" might I be happier with?

You might also notice that the vast majority of those who have a hate relationship with the iMod are people who've never heard it. And of those who have heard it and didn't think it was "all that," fewer still actually owned one. So the love/hate relationship you refer to consists of the 99% of people who have owned one and loved it and the 99% of people who think they hate it and never actually heard it.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also notice that the vast majority of those who have a hate relationship with the iMod are people who've never heard it. And of those who have heard it and didn't think it was "all that," fewer still actually owned one. So the love/hate relationship you refer to consists of 99% of people who have owned one loved it and 99% of people who think they hate it never actually heard it.

So basically what you're saying is that the people who don't own one are talking down the iMod to convince themselves it's not worth getting. Am I tracking?

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I have the 4th gen iMod and bought it right around the time Vinnie started to intro the 5th gen. At first I was a little disappointed, but I actually have no upgrade craving on this one. I like the 4th gen. For a dap this pricey I have no interest in using disc space for video- this is exclusively for music and I also like that I don't need a bulky line out. A simple IC with right angles is so much more discreet and has better appearance. I really believe the 4th gen will be the vintage model of this line even as Vinnie upgrades with apple.

x2

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically what you're saying is that the people who don't own one are talking down the iMod to convince themselves it's not worth getting. Am I tracking?

Either that or they just don't think an iPod could ever sound good or they don't think any DAP could sound good. I've just noticed that every sizable thread about the iMod collects a large number of people posting that they would never buy that snake oil, and almost nobody posting that they bought one and didn't like it. There are a few people, less than I can count on one hand, who have posted that they listened to the iMod and it didn't blow them away. But even those folks said it's probably the best sounding DAP. They just didn't think it compared to their CD players.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #40 of 51
Actually, I own one, think it's clearly better than the stock headphone out, but I've also never had a regular iPod line out side by side with my iMod, same gear, same levels, same music etc. to do a proper comparison.

I suspect very few of us have had that luxury, though I would really like to see for myself.

So in the meantime, I believe in the process and the theory (and Vinnie's craftsmanship), and it certainly doesn't sound bad, so no complaints here.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know I have the 4th gen iMod and bought it right around the time Vinnie started to intro the 5th gen. At first I was a little disappointed, but I actually have no upgrade craving on this one. I like the 4th gen. For a dap this pricey I have no interest in using disc space for video- this is exclusively for music and I also like that I don't need a bulky line out. A simple IC with right angles is so much more discreet and has better appearance. I really believe the 4th gen will be the vintage model of this line even as Vinnie upgrades with apple.

Well said. I had a 5.5G instead of IMODing it - I gave it to my girlfriend and bought a used 4G. It'll be the last source for my travel rig
icon10.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #42 of 51
quick story: my good friend is a classical musician ~ i was playing some classical music (can't remember which) from the imod (which i had just gotten) straight to a relatively inexpensive pair of studio monitors (no preamp) and his first words after listening for a few moments were, "bro, where can i get this sound?"

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #43 of 51
iMod g5.5 is **** compared to CD Player. Get iMod Photo!

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMod g5.5 is **** compared to CD Player. Get iMod Photo!

Huh? Can anyone else verify this?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Can anyone else verify this?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

The only comparisons I've read (namely from Skylab and EFN) state that the 5g iMod has slightly tighter bass and maybe a little more micro detail, but that they are pretty similar. My contention, though, is that the 4g is more portable, because the ALO lineout docks for the 5g are rather bulky. I wouldn't want to carry one in my pocket. I wouldn't go for a long walk with the 4g in my pocket either, but I don't mind doing the dishes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back