iMod vs. the best PCDPs (D303, AZ6832 etc)..
Aug 3, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shunyata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just saying that for me, the imod sounds better than any other dap i've used (i havent tried the karma though), and that there could be some esoteric dap from another country or one that isnt very popular yet has better sound quality- and that because no one's heard of that player, it would mean it's either ugly, hard to use, expensive, or hard to obtain. (the rio karma kind of fits that category of hard to obtain).

The iriver comes close, but it doesnt play well with sensitive phones, and the line out isn't particularly exciting- not to mention being long discontinued and not supported much anymore.

Please refer to post #23. Thank you!
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the Vinnie and the (Apple Signal) when you need it.

My Rega Planet 2000 did sound a slight bit better than my 5.5G iMOD but not leaps and bounds.

Are you telling me an $18 pcdp sounds better than a imod?

I find that hard to believe? Since the Rega had a bit of a time!
wink.gif

so its surprising an 18 dollar pcdp sounds better than a ~500 dollar imod, yet it is common sense an imod sounds as good as a 1000 dollar home source?
blink.gif

The 18 dollars means I bought the discman from someone who had no idea what it was. I've seen "Audiophiles" sell some of these units for 200 bucks or more..

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

The 18 dollars means I bought the discman from someone who had no idea what it was. I've seen "Audiophiles" sell some of these units for 200 bucks or more..

Would you mind telling me what model the discman it is? I'm very interested.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind telling me what model the discman it is? I'm very interested.

I was referring to the discman D35. This unit is pretty low end too. There are far, far better ones..

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

I was referring to the discman D35. This unit is pretty low end too. There are far, far better ones..

Like my Denon, for an extraordinary example
icon10.gif

I see the female dock connector trose posted, and I realize that there are caps and such inside the dock itself that brings up the price. I have no knowledge on circuitry, but as far as I know, caps are inside the iMod 4G. Is there a reason the capacitators external, to improve sound quality? Not enough space?

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 61
Not enough space. Yet the price goes up. Then it forces anyone who isn't able to make their own dock (most buyers) to purchase the caps in the form of a line out cable. Sure there is the imod dock out which is just a dock with the caps in, but that's still 85 dollars.

What happened to the good old days of the 4g where all you needed was a nice mini cable?

As said before, I consider the imod, and especially the 5g imod for only those who absolutely need the ipod functionality and style, and is cost no object.

Nice unit you have there assorted
smily_headphones1.gif

And there's just something satisfying when placing a 90's telarc recording of brandenburg concertos into a classy vintage pcdp. You don't get that special feeling with a dap
600smile.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #38 of 61
Hey Shunyata, are you at all into DIY stuff? Looking at the WM8971, which is likely very similar to the WM8975 (if not identical) in terms of pin outs, it seems like one way you could do this is pull from the aux out, or pull the hp out before the coupling cap. The 5G's lineout seems to basically just be HP out at full scale, so maybe the line out pulls from the aux (unless volume control is being done post-codec, but it seems like the WM chip has control on-chip, which might help explain why have another codec in the radio remote). I doubt any new connections are being made since pulling from the BGA grid isn't particularly practical, and you can get the functional equivalent just pulling from the line out path; I doubt the difference means much compared to what you'd pick up with a mod like this, anyhow. It's a pretty straightforward operation, overall. I don't have a 5G iPod at my disposal, otherwise I might try it for the heck of it. Maybe someone else can do it *shrug*.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Not enough space. Yet the price goes up. Then it forces anyone who isn't able to make their own dock (most buyers) to purchase the caps in the form of a line out cable. Sure there is the imod dock out which is just a dock with the caps in, but that's still 85 dollars.

What happened to the good old days of the 4g where all you needed was a nice mini cable?

As said before, I consider the imod, and especially the 5g imod for only those who absolutely need the ipod functionality and style, and is cost no object.

Nice unit you have there assorted
smily_headphones1.gif

And there's just something satisfying when placing a 90's telarc recording of brandenburg concertos into a classy vintage pcdp. You don't get that special feeling with a dap
600smile.gif

Are you referring to recording by Boston Baroque, yes that's my favorite Brandenburg as well.

So when you say that there's something that's not satisfying about DAP's in general, are you referring to a sonic quality? Or maybe just the feel you get when you're using vintage equipment? I completely understand you there, but that's not to say the iMod is not a fine piece of equipment. Before I got my Kenwood HD30GB9, which I prefer by a hairline, the 5.5G iMod would have been a perfect candidate next to the Sony HD5. Even if I knew of the 4G's existence at the time, I still wouldn't have gotten it since the amp is obligato. The 5.5 seems to be the answer, except I'd have to deal with an adaptor at a price of another interconnect (this is not a rant, it's just my financial view) or another line-out cable all-together.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Are you referring to recording by Boston Baroque, yes that's my favorite Brandenburg as well.

Yep, both discs are longtime favs of mine.
Quote:

So when you say that there's something that's not satisfying about DAP's in general, are you referring to a sonic quality? Or maybe just the feel you get when you're using vintage equipment?

Oh no I was just explaining using the logic analog audio enthusiasts use, eg: the feeling you get playing the whole album, watching the vinyl spin etc, can be applied to putting an actual cd in the player instead of clicking a few buttons and scrolling thousands of tracks on a dap..

oh never mind
redface.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Why am I kind of irritated? Because there are so many chances for people to invest in fine portable or home sources but are instead swayed into thinking an ipod is the answer for them because it sounds better than whatever they would have bought otherwise. Then they feel part of the community and feel the need to further the hype.

Pyramid scheme anyone?
blink.gif

Sheesh, there's no evil agenda here. People like what they hear and share that info with others. It's why there's a community of Head-Fiers here.

Look at the benefits of the iPod/iMod you listed. To some, they are more important than other factors. You factor in cost/value very highly and that is fine. So why is it OK to 'hype' your opinion but not OK for anyone else?

Think about it objectively and get back to us.

Aug 3, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why is it OK to 'hype' your opinion but not OK for anyone else?

Maybe because it seems the only thing people understand around here is hype?

Plus who will be left to defend the merits of pcdps if I give in to the agenda now? Not many left. It is this kind of backwards consumer movement that hinders interest in better solutions.

I've heard many say they want the best sound quality ever, are willing to carry gigantic amps and dacs- why is it wrong to suggest a pcdp? Because everyone wants 1000 songs in their pocket? A couple cd's carried is a small burden for someone who can get the best sound for real cheap without resorting to modifications of mediocre gear.

That 250+whatever hundreds for a cable would be better left for them to upgrade their music collection or headphones or get an actual desktop rig. Then no more complaining about never having money for upgrading headphones or amp and what best headphones for under this or that amount... Save the money and you can get the flagships current production headphones of any major mnfr.

Am I some kind of sabotager? No. I'm just trying to show people there are other paths in portable hifi. If my words sound too strong and agenda oriented... well. looks like you haven't really opened your eyes on what goes on around here
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Maybe because it seems the only thing people understand around here is hype?

Plus who will be left to defend the merits of pcdps if I give in to the agenda now? Not many left. It is this kind of backwards consumer movement that hinders interest in better solutions.

Well there you go, you are upset that the vast majority does not think the way you think yes? you assume that just because we like iMod or whatever we don't know the pleasure of PCDPs, that you have to be the hero and lifesaver of CDP community? and because of this other people who do not think the way you think does not know what's good in what you defined as "better solutions"? hah, such narrow perspective you have there. Yes go ahead be as sore as you are today, we used to have some members like you.....Andrea, you will like Andrea a lot..................

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #45 of 61
Is the comparison being made here between the iMod and the headphone out of the PCDP? Or is it between the iMod and a PCDP with a digital out to a DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back