iMod vs. Minidisc sound quality
Sep 18, 2006 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JT22

Banned
Right now i'm enjoying the sound coming from my RH10, but i'm also thinking about sending in my 4G ipod to get imodded. Just how big of a difference in sound quality is it between these two? I'm listening with ksc75s and a PA2V2.

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 16
If you are enjoying sound out of your sony - why then spend a lot of money on imod for something that aint as portible?

Ive tried almost everything and my best sounding mp3 players are still my iPaq 4150 and Sony minidisc (which aint a patch on my iPaq). Only other Dap Ive kept is Creative Vision:M - quite good sound with latest US firmware, but can distort at times... something a Sony will never do!

Sep 18, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
If you are enjoying sound out of your sony - why then spend a lot of money on imod for something that aint as portible?

Ive tried almost everything and my best sounding mp3 players are still my iPaq 4150 and Sony minidisc (which aint a patch on my iPaq). Only other Dap Ive kept is Creative Vision:M - quite good sound with latest US firmware, but can distort at times... something a Sony will never do!

I want to upgrade because I'm always lookin for better sound, plus I listen to it at home, so it doesn't have to be portable anyways.

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 16
Why not just listen thru your hifi then - get yourself a good CD player and headphone amp - or a good soundcard for PC and steam to headphone amp?

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Why not just listen thru your hifi then - get yourself a good CD player and headphone amp - or a good soundcard for PC and steam to headphone amp?

Because I'm just a student that can't afford anything that expensive
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT22
Because I'm just a student that can't afford anything that expensive
frown.gif

And iMod + amp is cheep?

Save your money and just keep what you go - the Sony sound fine
smily_headphones1.gif
You are not going to get huge gains in SQ iModding...

I have some really expensive gear Rega hifi - and to be honest I enjoy listening to my much cheeper portible stuff as much...

Sometimes going "audiphile" does not mean more enjoyable outcome!

Sep 19, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

And iMod + amp is cheep?

Save your money and just keep what you go - the Sony sound fine
smily_headphones1.gif
You are not going to get huge gains in SQ iModding...

I have some really expensive gear Rega hifi - and to be honest I enjoy listening to my much cheeper portible stuff as much...

Sometimes going "audiphile" does not mean more enjoyable outcome!

Thanks for the advice
580smile.gif

But just one more quick question, which would sound better? An RH1 or ipod 5G through the lineout? Thanks.

Sep 19, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT22
Thanks for the advice
580smile.gif

But just one more quick question, which would sound better? An RH1 or ipod 5G through the lineout? Thanks.

i've tested both, the rh1 is prob the best sounding porti there is,

no hiss even with my cx300s, which hiss badly on the ipod

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
i've tested both, the rh1 is prob the best sounding porti there is,

no hiss even with my cx300s, which hiss badly on the ipod

What amp were you using? The ipod's line-out in itself is a clean signal without floor noise.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
Omg, I can't beleive you have an ipod. Ipods are like the worst things you can buy. I think that a dog has better sound quliaty then an ipod!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang you sure don't know what you are talking about, do you know what an iMod is? If not please don't comment on stuff you don't know. Next the headphones out of an ipod might not be that great but the line-out of the ipod provide a GREAT sound, if you still don't know what i am talking about you can A) Go somewhere else and spend your life time like you want without giving bad advice to people that want to expend their musical experiences or B) Read lot of thread here about the iMod and ipod line-out to understand what this is all about and then give some advice from what you have learn, best regards.

Luidge

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 16
I have two iPods, used 2 Rio Karmas, and have a myriad of PCDP's but I have to admit that I love the sound of my MD player. If it were not for the hassle of getting music onto the discs, I would not own a Nano. Unless you hate the bulk of the MD player, stick with it.

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 16
I have an imod, various ipods and a couple of MDs. In my opinion, the imod sounds the best to my tired old ears, with the MDs next and the shuffle next and the nano third. I use the nano mainly for audio books, as my shuffle won't bookmark audible content.

I'd consider the imod as a substitute for a home based CD player, and keep the MD for bopping around.

Hope that helps.

M

Oct 13, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 16
You must remember too that the reason that the Sony has no noise out of its headphone out is that it has only a 5mw output versus ipod at 30mw. Anything with that little amping will be virtually noiseless unless you have like 3omh iems or something.

My m-audio transit which has by far a much better line out than the Sony MD unit hisses with my um2, it is just more powerful. The ipod at least can have a dock connector added which takes the amping away and will give you very clean sound indeed from a better DAC. The sony is great, have been using MD for yonks, but no power in the amping section.

Only proplem is the sound does often seem a bit thin on much of my recordings. If I plug it into my MD home system, that thinness goes the way of the dodo, but gains noise.

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 16
i have a 10-year old portable MD player/recorder which also has an optical out...and i still love the way it sounds - straight out of the headphone jack. but every now and again i hook it up to the DAC-AH and it sounds even better...i have tons of '90s j-pop on MDs and it's my favorite way to listen to them.

i honestly don't know if the imod sounds better...but it's certainly more practical, holds a ton of stuff, and would be a great replacement for a home CD player, IMO.

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 16
shigzeo said:
You must remember too that the reason that the Sony has no noise out of its headphone out is that it has only a 5mw output versus ipod at 30mw. Anything with that little amping will be virtually noiseless unless you have like 3omh iems or something.
The reason some Sony MD have no Hiss is the HD digital amps they use, non HD amped units dont have as low a noise floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back