imod vs imac
Feb 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i was wondering what you think would be a better source for desktop use, an iMac or the red wine audio imod
I will be using the Fiio E7 and E9 combo with dt770 80 ohm pros
My main concern is SQ, not space or convineance, although it would be cool to be able to go portable :)

Also will the iMac sound better than any other laptop, say a dell, as i will be using the dac in the E7 an not the laptop soundcard?

Thanks

Dan

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd go with the iMac. You'd be able to run it into a proper DAC and desktop amp if you wanted.

I take a dim view of the iMod. iPods are essentially disposable products. They're only engineered to last a year or two. Once it dies, you'll probably have to buy another one and start over. Assuming, of course, that a newer iPod can be modded. But if you have a decent DAC and desktop amp (typically long-term gear), then you'll be able to buy newer computers and still use them.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry, thanks for the reply, but i ment the macbook :)

Also will laptops sound different, i mean after you pass them through a dac like the E7 then onto the E9, as the macbooks are pretty expensive compared to dells etc!

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 4
The computer itself doesn't matter so much as the software, the files themselves and the recording quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back