+capacity
-battery
-size, weight

2. 32g Touch (will be used with LOD)
+interface
+battery
+respectable sound from lineout
+size, weight
-price with LOD ($499+$195Au/Ag Alo dock=$694USD)
-can't use FLAC
-capacity

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 18
The "respectable sound from line-out" can't compare with that of iMod.
Why spend so much money on Au/Ag ALO dock? You can get the same dock from other cable makers here with 2/3 price. I'd rather buy this for my iMod,BG caps in there, USB charger:
1410225363.jpg

Capacity is an advantage in comparison with 80gb iMod ?
rolleyes.gif

Get the Touch if you like the new tech
Get the iMod if you like the audiophile sound.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 18
personally, the touch is about to be properly launched. ipod dev team has been able to hack this thing to death. it is purported to receive multiple firmware boots and probably rockbox will be interested in that. they mentioned earlier that they were interested maybe in developing an addon to the touch interface for unsupported software - would work now. anything is possible. if you want flac support, i promise it will come out.

if you want absolute hifi fidelity sound, the imod will be unrivalled but the touch has other better opportunities in the future. i know for sure it will be turned into a high capacity protable recording system with good recording software as well as a wealth of codecs at its finger tips to transition into.

honestly, it is so much more than just an excellent audio player. i also would not bother by spending so much on a high end cable. even imod will basically just be as good as it sounds, merely a hi-fi centred device, not necessarily more hi fidelity or true to source. it will have weighting to add to the listener bias rather than the studio bias.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally, the touch is about to be properly launched. ipod dev team has been able to hack this thing to death. it is purported to receive multiple firmware boots and probably rockbox will be interested in that. they mentioned earlier that they were interested maybe in developing an addon to the touch interface for unsupported software - would work now. anything is possible. if you want flac support, i promise it will come out.

if you want absolute hifi fidelity sound, the imod will be unrivalled but the touch has other better opportunities in the future. i know for sure it will be turned into a high capacity protable recording system with good recording software as well as a wealth of codecs at its finger tips to transition into.

honestly, it is so much more than just an excellent audio player. i also would not bother by spending so much on a high end cable. even imod will basically just be as good as it sounds, merely a hi-fi centred device, not necessarily more hi fidelity or true to source. it will have weighting to add to the listener bias rather than the studio bias.

honestly: for sound, it is great. even from hp out.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Touch if you like the new tech
Get the iMod if you like the audiophile sound.

I have to agree with Lil' Knight, you need to deicde whats more important SQ or Functionality

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 18
The user experience is much better with the Touch. I have made the comparison, and I have to say the iMod is not much superior in sound quality. I would even say that the low frequencies are better in the Touch. IMHO the Touch has one of the best sound qualities among the ipods. If you use the Touch with a LOD, of course. The internal amplifier is not very good.
I have not the best opinion of the iMod, as you can see. I find it overpriced and its quality is not as good as everybody says. In my opinion is worse than a 300€ cd player, for example. It shows that it is a portable source.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The user experience is much better with the Touch. I have made the comparison, and I have to say the iMod is not much superior in sound quality. I would even say that the low frequencies are better in the Touch. IMHO the Touch has one of the best sound qualities among the ipods. If you use the Touch with a LOD, of course. The internal amplifier is not very good.
I have not the best opinion of the iMod, as you can see. I find it overpriced and its quality is not as good as everybody says. In my opinion is worse than a 300€ cd player, for example. It shows that it is a portable source.

Noted. This is a big hit against the IMOD, can you provide more details on the differences in the sound(soundstage, hi, mid, lo frequencies etc)please?
I'm sure alot more people like me is going to ask the same question in the future, and make this a referred post/poll.
(also my current combo is RS Tomahawk/UE10pro and have pico on order)

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 18
Well, I do not know... I have said it in the past with no much effect
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have read it before too in HeadFi from other members, but it seems most people do not think the same, do not know better or simply repeat what others say. For me, is pretty evident that the iMod is not a giant killer, only a good portable source.

We talked about the Touch, iMod and iRod in Auriculares.org, and specially here, if you read spanish. I was able to compare during a few weeks a Touch and an iRod, an improved iMod-like modification made by PicAudio (it sounds practically like an iMod, though theoretically the construction technique is better, picking the signal directly from the DAC pins).
Both iPods are very similar. It is clear that both are sister machines. The extension of the high frequencies is better in the iMod/iRod, and are more refined too. But the low frequencies have more body and texture in the Touch. Soundstage an instrument separation is practically the same. I could say that the iMod is marginally better, but taking into account the extraordinary interface of the Touch, I prefer to use it as my primary portable. I repeat that this is with the dock line out. The amplified output is not very good.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 18
well you can pus lossless on the itouch... you don't need FLAC..

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 18
iPod touch for me.

For some simple reasons:
1. Solid State.
2. Great user interface.
3. Its more than a music player. Browse web, ...

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 18
However, it is still, at its core, one person's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back