iMod or iTouch?
Nov 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #16 of 23
the whole idea about the touch is that its half ipod half newton (apple PDA line, died a long time ago), they will probobly start selling apps for it over itunes and for the iphone aswell, so music, games and pda functions,

personaly, i hoped a more dignified resurrection for the newton,

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 23
I think you have already made up your mind.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cymcym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I really like the big touch screen.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by murfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then Vinnie isn't going to be able to replace your ipod if something happens down the line and people often change their lifestyle, move, change job and drift off in general so, surely there's no saying you'll be able to contact Vinnie in X years time?

I would have thought the cache wouldn't matter quite as much on the touch either since the flash memory doesn't have to spin up like a harddisk so the cache refresh would use less power and be quicker for short reads. It's not like you'd have to sit and wait for it to pause a song halfway through and refill the cache?

Vinnie might change his lifestyle or move, but he's become very trusted here on his promises. Barring health issues, I trust him to be around for a good while. His other products other then the iMod aren't duds, he's got a legitimate business going. If Vinnie is able to work his hands and mind in twenty years, I would bet he would still accept an iMod to be updated or repaired. Thats just the reputation he has built in the last few years. I may be wrong, but its certainly better then Apple's warranty.

If apple implements the software properly, then it shouldn't be a problem on either. I play cd-sized flac files on my iMod and don't have a problem typically. I really it should be a concern for either the current iMod or iTouch. The iTouch likely does not need more cache because its flash memory like you say.

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 23
Imod owner here.
Go for Imod. I-Touch will be replaced by even better looking/function player in near future, its just the matter of time.
But Imod will still be Imod, sound quality wont change no matter what.
So Imoad it is !
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #20 of 23
The lack of tactile feedback is a huge turnoff. With my regular ipod, I can just reach in my pocket and click a button. Don't think you can do that with the iTouch.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #22 of 23
I can't complain about the sound quality of the Touch. I do plan to iMod my 80gb someday, but...

With my ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod LOD and Meier Headsix via a plain old Touch, the sound is pretty darn compelling (better than headphone out). I find myself using it MORE than my other "better" sources because of all the features and it's fun.

When i want to do serious listening, then it's a CD optical out via iBasso D1 DAC/AMP, or Macbook via Heastage Lyrix with USB DAC.

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #23 of 23
yeah, the title says it all. ive not heard the imod and i am sure with a good amp, it is the best choice for 'portable' audio. however, i have previously owned ipod nano, shuffle, the d2 by cowon and meizu m6. the touch is at least on par with the last two for sq however the meizu if it did not hiss may get my vote.

it has a wide soundstage compared the the 'excellent' d2 and a low noise floor though not as low as cowon's player. the touch also allows me to read books while listening to music and basically anything i like. most of it is just frills but if you ever do anything besides just listening to music, i must recommend the touch. it sounds good, looks good and from now, has unlimitless potential - next year the developers sdk will be out and this will be a very new and exciting platform to develop for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back