iMod or iTouch?
Nov 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

cymcym

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, first post.
I want to get a dap for my Sennheiser hd595. Now obviously iMod will beat itouch + expensive LOD ( like ALO) but I really like the big touch screen.
Moreover my headphone is only a hd595 not some high-end phones like hd 650 w/ modded cable so maybe iMod would be an overkill as a source? (No upgrading my 595 anytimes soon cause if I have money I will spend it on Cds)
One more thing is that itouch use flash memory which I believe it wont stop in the middle of a track to refresh its cache during the playback of a large lossless file, will it? When I use my 4G ipod to listen to lossless file it would stop for like 2 seconds near the end of a long song.
Guys help me to decide please!

iMod + iMod cable + Headamp AE-2 + hd 595
or
iTouch + LOD (ALO or Apuresound?) + Headamp AE-2 + hd 595

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 23
The HD 595 is not a limiting factor. Using inferior source is a limiting factor.

I highly suggest you to get an iMod instead. There are some in the FS forums, which you would need at least 50 posts to post in.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 23
imod for SQ.

itouch for thrills & looks.

i havent had any issues with lossless playback on my 4G, times it has been reported i think there were issues of encoding, i listen to som elengthy lossless mixes and hasnt occured, maybe you could install rockbox and tinker with the cache/spin up settings.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 23
It depends on what you your needs are.
I recently sold my iMod and amp to get a Touch.
The iMod was a great sounding DAP but had no chance against my SACD player at home. The setup was too bulky for my tastes so there were only few occasions where I took the iMod to the road.
But for SQ alone I would always prefer the iMod.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 23
Speaking as an iMod owner, get the iMod!
smily_headphones1.gif
In the long run, if they come out with a 32gb iTouch, the wireless standard is ever upgraded past "G" (coming soon "N" standard), your portable music player is remotely hacked, or your iTouch happens to ever break out of warranty, the novelty of the iTouch may wear off. You have a lifetime warranty with Vinnie. Its such a personal experience that the "lifetime" in "lifetime warranty" actually also refers to Vinnie's lifetime as its a prestigious custom limited production product where you are dealt with one on one.

The iTouch is almost in a different field of gear when it comes to function. You seem to have already realized this. You have wireless internet, average sound quality and a big touch screen with the iTouch or a high amount of memory and amazing sound quality with the iMod.

Also, the 5th gen 60 and 80gb iPods have 64mb of cache compared to the 30gb or 4th gen iPod that only have 32mb. This is a large reason for their increased battery life. The cache is what must store a song for playback and if the full lossless file cannot fit, then it must access the hard drive or flash storage to rebuffer the cache. Therefore, any file that would pause the 60 or 80 gb iMod seems like it would undoubtedly also pause on the iTouch. The pause may be shorter however due to the flash memory being able to rebuffer the cache faster. I also have a sneaky suspicion that the iTouch may have a 32mb cache also due to its low storage capacity and that means that it will also pause tracks MORE often.

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 23
If all you want is a music player, get the iMod. If you want a toy that is almost limitless in possibility once you jailbreak it, get the itouch.

As I've stated elsewhere, I love my iTouch, but I do everything else on it (including photos and video) more that I do music.

GAD

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If all you want is a music player, get the iMod. If you want a toy that is almost limitless in possibility once you jailbreak it, get the itouch.

As I've stated elsewhere, I love my iTouch, but I do everything else on it (including photos and video) more that I do music.

GAD

Sony PSP is good for that and has all the homebrew already made for it... but only 8gb.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its such a personal experience that the "lifetime" in "lifetime warranty" actually also refers to Vinnie's lifetime as its a prestigious custom limited production product where you are dealt with one on one.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that the iTouch may have a 32mb cache also due to its low storage capacity and that means that it will also pause tracks MORE often.

Then Vinnie isn't going to be able to replace your ipod if something happens down the line and people often change their lifestyle, move, change job and drift off in general so, surely there's no saying you'll be able to contact Vinnie in X years time?

I would have thought the cache wouldn't matter quite as much on the touch either since the flash memory doesn't have to spin up like a harddisk so the cache refresh would use less power and be quicker for short reads. It's not like you'd have to sit and wait for it to pause a song halfway through and refill the cache?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back