iMod -> M902(analog out) -> EMP surprised!
Aug 16, 2007 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
ok, I just found out today, it's my new finding, I'm not sure why this happens.

Usually I listen to my home gear using
my laptop connected to external Audigy NX and then digital out to m902, using m902 internal DAC, it's out to EMP then headphones.

But I found today that by replacing my laptop and the audigy with iMod, it resulted in a richer, sweeter, bigger soundstage, much more involving sound!
this is very surprising and unexpected. Does this mean the the internal DAC within Grace m902 not as good as the iMOD?

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 25
I think the problem is what you are feeding into the M902- the Creative Audigy NX.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite sure what you're suggesting there.

You and me both.

Also, while I wouldn't say that the iMod is better than my Storm, I would expect the possibility that it might have better synergy with certain equipment. It does quite a few things really well, sweetness being one of them.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is what you are feeding into the M902- the Creative Audigy NX.

It could be.

The M902 shouldn't be any worse than a small iMod, even though I havn't compared A with B side by side. There are some other factors that affect the performance of the M902 or any other DACs. For example, like digital source, power cable, power condition and IC, these are all the restrictions on the sound quality of a DAC. A DAC1/DA10 with stock cable and normal power condition is not much superior than a 1212M or 1616M considering the differences in their prices, as far as I could hear.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 25
There is also a possibility that the EarMax Pro couldn't tell apart different sources sensitively or even significantly. But according to my experiences, this amp (still my lovest amp) is very sensitive to the sources.

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Pete,
I'm only using Creative Audigy NX, as a digital out to M902. Do you think Creative Audigy is an important factor as a digital source? any replacement that you know of for the laptop?

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be.

The M902 shouldn't be any worse than a small iMod, even though I havn't compared A with B side by side. There are some other factors that affect the performance of the M902 or any other DACs. For example, like digital source, power cable, power condition and IC, these are all the restrictions on the sound quality of a DAC. A DAC1/DA10 with stock cable and normal power condition is not much superior than a 1212M or 1616M considering the differences in their prices, as far as I could hear.

Any digital source recommendation that can be used with laptop?

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any digital source recommendation that can be used with laptop?

Hey Jeffri,

Take a look at this: http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=15167

I am not sure how it works like cause I don't try it yet. But it is supposed to be good, and definitely looks very strong. Don't blame it on me if you don't hear any difference by then.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 25
I used to have an Audigy but I returned it to the store, it was not too good IMO. Although I don't have a Grace, I really suspect that your weak link is the Audigy. Don't forget also that the Imod is quite spectacular when you mate it with good components like you have. The Imod has been compared favorably to several expensive CDP above $1k and it is used by several audiophile as their main source in a speaker setup. I have an Imod and although it has a slightly different sound signature, it does sound as good as my modded Squeezebox feeding a Paradisea DAC with expensive tube and power cable. So the Imod can certainly compete against your Grace as far as the DAC section so the transport section you use to feed your Grace is extremely important in order not to penalize it versus the Imod.

That is only my opinion/speculation, you have great equipment, you should base your judgment on your ears, bottom line if your Imod is better, heck you might have just saved plenty of cash!
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 25
could it be that the feed from the audigy to the grace isn't bit perfect?

have you made sure it is in music creation mode and all special effects/surround features etc. are switched off? these mainly apply to x-fi but may also be similar in the NX

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could it be that the feed from the audigy to the grace isn't bit perfect?

have you made sure it is in music creation mode and all special effects/surround features etc. are switched off? these mainly apply to x-fi but may also be similar in the NX

Yes everything off
smily_headphones1.gif
but I think Audigy is the weakest link. I just remember transport gotta be super important since I own those DCS and Esoteric transport, only transport and they costed heaps.

Now I have to find a great Digital Out off the computer. Audiophile quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 25
Hey jlingon, I'm not 100% sure but if I remember well, a while ago I had compared the Audigy versus a HagUSB feeding my DAC and the HagUSB was better. Now the HagUSB is definitely not the top you can find to feed a DAC from a PC, it is a very good device for the money but there is better then that. I think the RedWineAudio USB Select is one that is pretty good and not too expensive. There is also another from a mod company that is more like $1k and supposed to be great but I don't remember the name.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the RedWineAudio USB Select is one that is pretty good and not too expensive. There is also another from a mod company that is more like $1k and supposed to be great but I don't remember the name.

wow, that's cool. I'm going to look into USB Select, since it sounds appealing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back