iMod Died - Suggestions and Advice
Apr 15, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #16 of 33
I had the exact same issue before but I did go the CF mod route as it is faster access songs and much better battery life. Not to mention it is much lighter too. I don't really need more than 64gb of storage.

Glad it work out for you. You did mentions your iMod hard drive issue before.

How is the Arrow compare to TTVJ?

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 33
I realize that the CF might have been a good way to go, but capacity was important to me. It was simple and I am all thumbs so i would tell anyone to do this if they are not as adept as you are! My TTVJ is getting fixed, but once it is back I will tell you how I think they compare.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just get yourself a clip/fuze and Rockbox it? Rockbox supports ALAC, and you can still continue to use itunes if you wish. Plus it is considerably cheaper than getting a new ipod, gives you better sound quality and an equalizer that actually does something.

You know the thought "flashed" through me, but I wanted the capacity and convenience. Call me a luddite. I may try this one day just to compare the sounds, however.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 33
I finally reloaded my files and the iMod works flawlessly. Having listened to the regular iPod Classic for the last week and then switching back to the iMod really makes me realize how the iMod is a significant upgrade, clearer tones, more realistic bass and just an overall improvement in clarity and realism.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 33
Don't know if this is legal per forum rules, but I'd very much like the 240 gig upgrade also. Alas, it seems us Europeans are not all *that* welcome at Apricorn.

I wonder if someone would care to act as a relay, if I bought the item and had it shipped to him/her.

In essence I'd buy the 240 gig upgrade, have it shipped to a friendly soul who would then ship it to me, only *after* I reimburse the costs of shipping, naturally.

I'm aware someone to use this as an opportunity to get a free upgrade for their own iPod, but I'm a trusting fool of a Took, I guess.

Any takers?

Cheers,

Anders, Denmark

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 33
I purchased one and it works, and it's authentic mk2431gah because it reads as 127gb on cowon q5w and then 223gb on my 5g ipod video.

If no one else offers to do it for you send me a pm, but for peace of mind you should probably wait for someone with a better reputation on head-fi to do it for you.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know the thought "flashed" through me, but I wanted the capacity and convenience. Call me a luddite. I may try this one day just to compare the sounds, however.

Not sure if you know that Rockbox will work on your 5.5 Gen. Just an FYI, in case you didn't. They've recently completed testing changes to support large hard drives (regardless of sector size) so the next standard build should contain that. And the test build with the changes is available now, if interested. I have it on my 120GB 5.5 and it works like a champ.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you know that Rockbox will work on your 5.5 Gen. Just an FYI, in case you didn't. They've recently completed testing changes to support large hard drives (regardless of sector size) so the next standard build should contain that. And the test build with the changes is available now, if interested. I have it on my 120GB 5.5 and it works like a champ.

I do know this and as I like the convenience and ease of using iTunes, there is no need or reason to change. I am not one who likes to tweak too much and don't need the EQ. I can't seem to see any other advantage for Rockbox (and I have heard how buggy it could be).

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 33
They don't specify it is the mk2431gah but they told me it was that when I asked over email and was also what I received. The battery is their own branded one fyi.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #29 of 33
Yup but counterfeit hard drives with fake labels and fake partition sizes exist. The current $175 shipped price apricorn offers is quite below what others are offering it for, and it's a great relief to me to find out it's the real thing (only have 90gb of music on it atm, but hell, if they managed to fake a 4096K sector size I'll eat my own socks).

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #30 of 33
Happy w/my 240GB DIYmod & got the drive from apricorn. Reads 223GB avail, re-ripping anything not lossless to lossless & hoping it fits.
BTW got a good deal here on v-caps for a DIY dock & its all good. Perhaps now I can consider my work setup done
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back