Imod 5.5g with V-caps, is it able to compare with higher-end DAC??
Sep 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
The title pretty much says it all
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title pretty much says it all
cool.gif

the wolfson with its cleaned signal path (imod) is a pretty good DAC.

i dont know, hopefully EFN may reply, or someone else who has had the luxury of comparing the two items in question, depends on what you mean by higher end dac, any examples?

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMZ, Stello, maybe even lavry or benchmark??

EDIT: Almost forgot about apogee

Why would a large consumer product like the Ipod would rival the big name DAC? Only because of one cap and a not so bad dac chip? Let me doubt about it.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 15
I didn't meant to say that Vinnie product are bad in any way! I am sure the iMod is GREAT and sound the best it can be, but at the same time i am a little skeptical about his SQ compared to well implemented technology DAC that cost twice or triple the iMod. But then again it might be the best giant killer ever
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't meant to say that Vinnie product are bad in any way! I am sure the iMod is GREAT and sound the best it can be, but at the same time i am a little skeptical about his SQ compared to well implemented technology DAC that cost twice or triple the iMod. But then again it might be the best giant killer ever
confused.gif

No, you certainly have a good point, logically the imod shouldn't compete with the higher end DACs. It's very hard to find unbiased, direct comparisons though. No one even tries to measure the differences in DAC outputs though, as far as I know.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 15
If anyone wants to bring an imod of any type to the baltimore/dc meet next month, I'm bringing my apogee. We'll have a quiet room available to do such comparisons.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 15
Wow a minidac setup in a quiet room!!!
I can't wait to try my DA10 balanced in my silent home, now this will be sweet
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would a large consumer product like the Ipod would rival the big name DAC? Only because of one cap and a not so bad dac chip? Let me doubt about it.

Not neccesarily bettering the other big name DAC, I just want to know if they are in the same league, whether is there a very big gap between.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 15
I am setting here doing the A/B using computer FLAC files into my Lavry feeding my micro-ZOTL and at the same time using my Line Router to compare this with my iMod 5g with it's super cotton doc. Of course I am using the UE9 as my headphone in this.

Well unless you are real anal you will be absolutely impressed with the near equality of sound out of both of these. I am not saying they are the same but very near. Note that I am not using the V-Caps..

I am not sure that in a double blind I could tell the difference unless I found something just to focus on specifically after a long listening session to identify one from another. Volume level for one is the difficult thing to get just right in this comparison.

The test CD files are from the Ultrasone Sound test CD.

Just take this as that my hearing is not what other people have...so there really is no need for me to improve my level of equipment since I have maxed my hearing out at the level I have. I can say it this way, I have found my sweet spot....in audio equipment.

If I could get to the meet I could bring my Line Router with three inputs and have a neat sound-off between any three sources. Note my line router is passive so it can go either way as two inputs and three outputs or three inputs with two outputs.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone wants to bring an imod of any type to the baltimore/dc meet next month, I'm bringing my apogee. We'll have a quiet room available to do such comparisons.

Great!! Please post your impression if you got the chance to try it out
orphsmile.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am setting here doing the A/B using computer FLAC files into my Lavry feeding my micro-ZOTL and at the same time using my Line Router to compare this with my iMod 5g with it's super cotton doc. Of course I am using the UE9 as my headphone in this.

Well unless you are real anal you will be absolutely impressed with the near equality of sound out of both of these. I am not saying they are the same but very near. Note that I am not using the V-Caps..

I am not sure that in a double blind I could tell the difference unless I found something just to focus on specifically after a long listening session to identify one from another. Volume level for one is the difficult thing to get just right in this comparison.

The test CD files are from the Ultrasone Sound test CD.

Just take this as that my earing is not what other people have...so there really is no need for me to improve my level of equipment since I have maxed my hearing out at the level I have. I can say it this way, I have found my sweet spot....in audio equipment.

If I could get to the meet I could bring my Line Router with three inputs and have a neat sound-off between any three sources.

Nice!!
wink.gif
At least I can know its not a night and day difference between the Lavry and Imod.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan Boonstra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am reading this thread with a lot of interest.

Thanks!

and i am reading this /\ with a lot of dis-interest
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back