iMod 5.5 80 GB ---> Emmelline "The Blackbird" SR-71A ---> Sennheiser HD800 - suitable setup?
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ionicle

Multiple accounts: GeorgeVes
Hey there guys. I am currently considering to assemble a portable hi-fi setup, consisting of the following items:

iMod 5.5 80 GB ---> Emmelline "The Blackbird" SR-71A ---> Sennheiser HD800 ( with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 cable )

Can anyone confirm the Senns would sound nicely with such a setup? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hey there guys. I am currently considering to assemble a portable hi-fi setup, consisting of the following items:

iMod 5.5 80 GB ---> Emmelline "The Blackbird" SR-71A ---> Sennheiser HD800 ( with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 cable )

Can anyone confirm the Senns would sound nicely with such a setup? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lol --- that is a lot of bulk to carry around.  I have an RWA I-Mod and I am very familiar with the blackbird and I think you are off to an excellent start.  Like the previous poster I would question the use of the HD-800 for portable use (Transportable maybe) due to size, lack of isolation, and possibly durability concerns.  As to sound synergies I am not sure --- I know a lot of people find the HD-800s very bright.  I once used by I-Mod with a Portatube and Audio Technica 2000 as a bedside setup and was delighted with the result for classical and more laid back genres --   would never consider for portable though --- just too big and the phones not really made for dragging around outside.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 7
What kind of music do you like? That's a better start. The HD-800s are useless for a portable rig, unless you mean transportable to take to work, for example.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 7
All I really care about is the sound quality and the synergy between the components listed above. I have absolutely no issues walking around the streets with HD800's on my head, looking like a dork, and the portability of the iMod/Emmeline combo is not something I would worry about.

I already figured out that the iMod, coupled with the Emmeline would sound great. All I need to know is whether the Senns would fit in the equation properly.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I think more of the issue will be that the outside noise will drown out your music unless you went full volume and hurt your ears.

+1, the hd800s were made to be used in a quiet room, not outside your not going to be able too hear anything. the ultrasone edition 8s or the new denons would fit your needs better

ultrasones: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Ultrasone&sts=ma&N=4291129814&Ntt=edition+8

denon d7100: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882291-REG/Denon_AH_D7100_MUSIC_MANIAC_OVER_EAR_HEADPHONES.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back