Immersive=Soundstage?
Jan 29, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wondering what you guys consider an immersive headphone or sound signature. I was hoping grado sr60's would be fairly immersive but to me it's just detailed, clean sound coming from the left and right. Also wondering if you guys have the sensation of the music being inside your head because I don't get that sensation either. I'm guessing you're not supposed to since they are open. Is it because of the lack of soundstage? To me an immersive sound signature needs to have a good sense of imagery and placement, I guess sound separation as well. Anyways, I'm guessing I'm also on the low end of the grado line, will bowl pads increase the soundstage and make it seem more lively? Sorry for all these questions, and they may seem out of order but I hope I get my point across, just wondering what you consider an immersive headphone, and which grado would you consider the most immersive thanks.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 13
Hmm, not really.

IMO,

immersion is what gets your toe tapping. Makes you think you're there, you're having fun, and you're enjoying it. It puts a smile on your face. Which, while soundstage plays a large role, it is not 100% responsible for immersion.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 13
More like soundstage= immersive. But this is just my personal preference. I like being able to relax, close my eyes, and be surrounded by sound. When I can pick up certain instruments I never paid attention to in the background, and focus on new aspects to my favorite albums.
If this is what you mean, then I don't think Grado is what you're looking for. Grado's are typically very forward and upfront. They can be immersive in the sense that they're very fun and lively especially with forward music e.g. Rock.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't think you can really rate immersion on a pair of headphones. I just think that "immersion" is way too subjective. There could be so many factors about a headphone that "immerse" you in the sound that it just seems impossible to name any one facet.

While a headphone might have really great soundstage, it might be too airy or not have enough bass-slam for some people and that would break any semblance of being in the moment of the music. As it's been said: "Trust your ears" and "If you like it, it's good."

Nylan

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm no expert, but I figure soundstage is simply down to how well the headphones are able to replicate natural reverb and the other subtle effects that playing music in a certain environment causes - since that is the way our ears judge the location and distance of certain sounds in real life.

I'm sure it does make music more immersive in terms of feeling like you're there, which I think is what you mean Goober-George, but it's also possible to feel immersed simply due to the feel of the music.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 13
Hmm.. yeah the thing is I don't find Grado's fatiguing but I rather want them more spacious and full. I'm thinking I just need to get to the higher end of Grados. I only have the grado sr-60s and with these I don't get the "I'm in the rock concert feeling" but thats what I'm going for. I feel like I want the grado sound signature in K701's but that might be contradicting haha.

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 13
My lightly modded K340's definitely get my feet tapping and these are being grossly underdriven from my H120 so soundstage is likely not the only factor
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Depending on the music I too would equate immersion with toe tapping.

p.s. I've ordered a proper amp for the K340's
smily_headphones1.gif

I have found that soundstage varies with headphones depending on what is driving them, so you may wish to pop into a headphone/music/hi-fi shop and try out a few amps. Or visit a local gathering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 13
The importance of soundstage to immersion is really a matter of two things, first whether your ear is only satisfied when it has a broad and precise soundstage presentation, and second--highly underrated--what your music is. Some music is really soundstage-dependent, and maybe this is what keeps you from being satisfied with your Grados.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 13
Getting the soundstage and the sensation that the music is your head...does that only come from nice clean amp'd signal? I have experienced this but can not remember what my setup was at the time, whether it be un-amp'd 595's or with my Airhead driven HD250 Pro's.

I have been after this same sensation though and have yet taken action to find my match. Mainly because I am unable to make up my mind on a few key items...mainly yes or no to DAC.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 13
^Yes, amp and source can have a significant impact on soundstage. Not as much as the headphones themselves, but it is definitely audible.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 13
for me, immersion is "air".
space around the voice and instruments, when the music has that 3d feel, like you are in the part of the space that is being recorded, you need a headphone with a good, realistic, soundstage to achieve this, imo, and instrument separation is also part of a good soundstage, but even with using these same headphones, I have heard it, and not heard it depending on the amp, maybe it is an artifact, or coloration and not really there at all?, but it immerses me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back