Immediate decision needed!!
Dec 21, 2001 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

That kind of reasoning never stopped you before!

You're correct there, MacDEF! Just as I have about 15 headphones and only one head (as my wife is constantly good-naturedly pointing out, I also have 11 Powerbooks around here somewhere........and only one lap!
Current inventory includes:
Powerbook 100, Powerbook 180C, Duo 210, 230, 280, 2300C, Powerbook 520C, 520C upgraded to PPC, 540C, Powerbook 5300C, G3 Wallstreet.
I really don't need another Powerbook. But the iceBook is not technically a Powerbook.........it's an iBook. Someday........soon.
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:01 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
MacDEF, that's a great price!..........tempting.
very_evil_smiley.gif
\
But I just bought an iMac and iPod...........maybe when the ibook reaches $500.
tongue.gif

Sorry about that xander...........your loss.
wink.gif

BTW, have you played with the iPod?
biggrin.gif

Actually I'm sortof a traitor. I was once on your side when I was a LOT younger. When I got my first PC I quickly realized how evil bill was, and was sucked in. Heck, I even went to an Apple Users Group.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 10:51 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Actually I'm sortof a traitor. I was once on your side when I was a LOT younger.

Me, too! I started serious computing when I got a 286 PC, learned some basic DOS.....quickly went to 386........and then I saw the light. I bought a Mac Color Classic and haven't looked back. I'm into things like elegance and simplicity.......I don't like to be confused any more than I already am!
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2001 at 11:33 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
The only thing that steers me away from an ibook is the small screen. Right now I own a Powerbook G3 233mhz, but it doesn't have USB or firewall ports (i did buy a firewall pc card, but I'd also like USB), and I love my 14.1 inch screen. I couldn't imaging moving to a small screen.

I thought that, too (coming from a PBG3). But the iBook screen is so much better than the PBG3 screen (brightness, clarity, etc.) that to be honest I don't even notice. But check one out locally first.

Quote:

The ibook is pretty okay to look at, I just like the look and feel of the G3 better, which seems more rugged.

Sadly, it isn't. The iBook line is built to be much more rugged than the "Pro" line. My iBook actually flew out of my backpack (stupid me forgot to zip it up, and then literally swung the backpack off my back to try to put it on top of the car)... it flew about five feet in the air, bounced off the car, and then hit the cement parking lot floor. It didn't even wake from sleep during the event, and when I opened the lid it woke right up and worked like nothing had happened
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Uh, question, if you aren't doing video or picture or audio editing, why use a mac??

LOL, see, I knew this was going to happen
wink.gif

Because anything you can do on a PC you can do on a Mac. That's like asking "if you aren't using your company's proprietary DOS-only accounting system, why use a PC?
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

And what, exactly, are the features you can get on a mac laptop that you cant get on a pc laptop for 1 grand?

Check out this comparison of $1300 laptops... and remember that the iBook in the two charts is now $894:

http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/ib...tout_1300.html
http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/ib...out_1300b.html

The interesting thing about that comparison is that the author gives the Windows machines *every* benefit of the doubt imaginable, but the iBook still comes out way ahead. Now drop the price by $400
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

it's a given that a computer for home use can do all that other stuff as well, and all I am asking is, why pay for a mac to do that, when you won't be using it for what a mac is better at--editing audio, video, and pictures.

Because to some people, even if you don't do those things, the Mac is better at many other things, too. For example, Microsoft Office for Mac is a much better suite than Office for Windows. And Entourage (Microsoft's commercial email app for Mac) is vastly superior to their offerings for Windows. Unlike a few years ago, when most of the 'cross-platform' stuff kind of sucked on the Mac, some of it is as good or better on the Mac now. Many of the games that do come to the Mac platform have extra features, etc. that the PC version doesn't have.

And as you mentioned, for things like movie editing and MP3s, Apple's free software that comes with their systems are the best products on the market. And who *isn't* doing something of these things nowadays? MP3s? Digital pictures?

There's the (debateable) feeling that Macs are easier to use for all of those things. I say debateable because Macs are a bit more difficult today than they were a few years ago (mainly because they have a lot more functionality now), and because Windows has improved vastly over that same time period. However, in my experience Macs still have an edge, but it's not as big as it used to be.

Plus there's the fact that when things go wrong, Macs are easier to fix -- as someone who has supported both for a living before, I can tell you that's not a minor issue
wink.gif
Again, the gap has narrowed, but it still exists.

Anyways, if you don't like Macs (or don't know much about them), great. I have no problem with you. But just remember that people who use Macs aren't fools who have been duped
wink.gif
It's funny, I have more than one friend who claims all Mac users are either "fanatics" or "Microsoft haters." He simply can't deal with the idea that maybe people who use Macs have made rational decisions to do so based on the machines themselves.

Does that answer your question, Gluegun?
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 12:18 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
It's funny, I have more than one friend who claims all Mac users are either "fanatics" or "Microsoft haters."

Are you sure he's talking about Mac users? Sounds like he's talking about us Linux geeks.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Are you sure he's talking about Mac users? Sounds like he's talking about us Linux geeks.

LOL, good point... he probably lumps them all together
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Me, too! I started serious computing when I got a 286 PC, learned some basic DOS.....quickly went to 386........and then I saw the light. I bought a Mac Color Classic and haven't looked back. I'm into things like elegance and simplicity.......I don't like to be confused any more than I already am!
biggrin.gif

heh! See, that's where we differ. I quicky moved on to Linux from there.. Things werent complicated enough as they were. And those damn macs... They were so... I dunno, they just had that propritary everythings clumped togather if it breaks throw it out feel that I hated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 5:30 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

They were so... I dunno, they just had that propritary everythings clumped togather if it breaks throw it out feel that I hated.

None have ever broken. I have a 15 year old Mac Plus that still works perfectly.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 6:33 PM Post #39 of 46
This is neat reading about people's computer progressions. I actually started out on an Apple II GS, but later moved to a 486 when I wanted to play more games. Use Windows 98 now. I didn't really care for the MacOS feel until OS X. And w/ BSD as the base, it finally has the low-level control I want. But I still like the Windows platform, in part because I really enjoy building my own machines, and I am used to the Windows feel.

Dec 22, 2001 at 6:51 PM Post #40 of 46
You interest me, McDef. I will check out the iBook screen. Better than the G3 screens? Hmm. But maybe the size will still prevent me from getting an ibook. I don't know. I use a animation program called Cinema 4D that has A LOT of function windows (sometimes I dream of the Giant apple display so I could every keep window open). That's the main thing with screen size for me. I hate shuffling around through menus in Photoshop, for example. And just so people know I use my Mac for (A) Page layout (B) Video (C) Computer animation (E) Music (E) To record random thought on headphone forums. Do I sound like a Mac candidate?
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 46
It depends which specific apps you need, plus you're going to have to lay out some Big bucks to get'em. I borrowed an iBook for a short period, and the screen is way small. For the stuff you want to do with it, I predict you won't be happy with an iBook. Photoshop on a 17" screen is hard enough, don't you think? Remember too that the iBook screen is a fat pixel design, similar to an iMac.

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
You interest me, McDef. I will check out the iBook screen. Better than the G3 screens? Hmm.

Definitely a better screen: brighter, clearer, etc. Smaller, yes, but I found it easier on the eyes. And keep in mind that the resolution is exactly the same 1024x768, so you get exactly the same screen real estate as the PBG3 or a 17" CRT -- menus, etc. will appear exactly the same -- the difference being that things are a bit smaller.

However, given your uses, I would again recommend that you go to CompUSA, or another Mac retailer, and check out the iBook in person.

Originally posted by pigmode
Quote:

Photoshop on a 17" screen is hard enough, don't you think?

Well, yeah, that's why some of us use dual monitors
wink.gif

Quote:

Remember too that the iBook screen is a fat pixel design, similar to an iMac.

Again, could you clarify? The iBook uses an LCD display while the iMac uses a standard, high-quality CRT
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 8:33 PM Post #43 of 46
Yeah, I think the screen on the iBook will be too small. Too, bad. It seems like a nice unit. What do you mean by "fat" pixel, though? Larger pixels than, say, on a regular powerbook?

Dec 22, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Again, could you clarify? The iBook uses an LCD display while the iMac uses a standard, high-quality CRT
confused.gif

I hope you're not calling the iMac's CRT high quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, now i've done it. To be honest, I'm tottally unbias. I have nothing against Apple Computers, they just dont seem appealing to me any more.

And they DO break down (I've seen it, I swear).
eek.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #45 of 46
Doesn't the iBooks monitor look like it has a smaller pixel density than the Ti Book? I could be wrong. Same with the iMac, it has a very pixelated look. That said, this Windows box I'm on is my first, but I'll probably be migrating back to a Mac by the end of the year. To tell you the truth, it's something I'm really excited about.

Reliability: yes, they break. One of the strategies that Jobs used to increase Apples profitability was to cut back on build quality a little. I believe they are as good or better than anything out there, but they are not at the same level that they once were. That's my impression anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back