"imaging" or placebo?
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
i am pretty sure when i put on my headphones, a lot of times music sounds differently between my right ear and my left ear. is this what imaging is? like maybe lets say the beats are on the left side and the little details are on my right, something like that. my friend, however listened to the same song, dont know about her source or audio file or what kind of headphone shes using, she said the music sounds exactly the same with both ears. i use a pair of sennheiser pxc 450. shes a casual listener, so she will have a maybe 10 dollars earbud or some low model 30 dollars-ish skullcandy headphones. so i want to know, is this what imaging is? should i hear music differently between my left and right ears? or is it just placebo or something wrong with my ears? btw, i intentionally asked my friend to listen to the same song intensively so she could tell me if theres something wrong with my hearing. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 20
sounds like a strange mix to be so broken out, but I don't think it is a problem with your hearing. 

Imaging is roughly, if you close your eyes, the ability to imagine - based on sound alone - where in the room a given instrument is. Drums on the left, back behind the piano... trumpet over on the right, but not as close as the violins.. etc. 

Headphones can sometimes unnnaturally separate things out - since most mixes are optimized for speakers. When listening with speakers, you get a little bit of bleed from the left and right sides to the other (slightly delayed - further to travel) - this helps your brain with better imaging. Headphones don't do this on their own, which is why a lot of people use crossfeed plugins or amps, to mimic the effect of using speakers. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 20
oh ok, thanks. they are not so broken out actually, sometimes i will try to focus on one of my ears to try to hear whats going on there or try really hard to focus on the sound, thats when it becomes more apparent. usually when i dont do that, its not really so broken out, i would just be able to hear it once in a while, thats all. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 20
sounds like you have a nifty ability to focus you hearing and attention. Not a hearing problem. :) I wouldn't worry. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 20
oh ok thanks. but im new to the audio world and i thought my ears are definitely not "golden ears" if not considered bad. for example, my skullcandy inkd sounds ok to me while i could guess a lot of audiophiles will absolutely hate it.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 20
*shrug*

Sometimes its a matter of comparison and knowledge. Without really good headphones to compare the same piece to, how would you ever know where the deficiencies in your current headphones are? 

Frankly, enjoying what you hear is the ultimate goal. If you already do, you're more golden than someone with "golden ears" who is perpetually dissatisfied. They might have "better headphones" - but you are probably happier (and have more money left in your pocket). :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 20
Yes, the first 6 seconds are left channel only. Only when she starts singing does the stereo mix come in. Cute song.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
*shrug*

Sometimes its a matter of comparison and knowledge. Without really good headphones to compare the same piece to, how would you ever know where the deficiencies in your current headphones are? 

Frankly, enjoying what you hear is the ultimate goal. If you already do, you're more golden than someone with "golden ears" who is perpetually dissatisfied. They might have "better headphones" - but you are probably happier (and have more money left in your pocket). :)

thats true. :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
*shrug*

Definitely this!

I've honestly enjoyed every pair of headphones I've heard with the exception of one.  I can take off my headphones linked to a rather expensive set-up and still fully enjoy my $150 computer-driven speakers.  In fact, I alternate between these every day.

It's more about the music than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back