Imagine all of your 'high-end' >$1000 IEMs were made out of $12 Balanced Armatures.
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 26
Are you referring to earbuds or cheaper IEMs? Because earbuds don't go into the ear canal so there are not many options. Am a bit confused how you use the word earbuds....

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 26
I might be get shot by saying this but i can't be bothered anyway so the thing is , if one has the means to spend on over 2 , 3 k worth of quality TOTL cans or iem please carry on and do so .

For those not so lucky or does not had that spending power yet wants to experience TOTL quality type of music i would suggest and recommend to take a look at earbud .

Yes a earbud feel and looks like a cheapo , but that does not mean the music singing through these buds are of inferior to cans or TOTL iem .

Some of the very best bud money can buy u with exceptional good music cost u a merely 178 , 358 , 716 usd respectively .
And these are some TOTL bud which can surpass most of the TOTL iems , cans out there .

I been enlightened and through buds , i understood there's no need to spend that several thousand of dollars for a pricey iem to enjoy exceptional good quality totl type of music .
A true totl bud can do the job better for just serveral hundreds of dollars .

Head over to the earbud community , forget about those extortionate type of TOTL gears .
There are cheaper and better alternative out there .

Bud for hobbies and for life

The problem with earbuds is that they are an inherently flawed system. This is not a personal opinion; the fact that earbuds seat themselves within the concha of the ears already present a lot of additional variables that cannot be controlled for. The sound coming of an earbud changes significantly with fit, to the point where nobody wearing an earbud can be absolutely sure that what they're hearing one day would be the same for the next.

The way an earbud is meant to be worn means that there is no proper seal or seating for the sound to be propagated to your eardrums. Even open-backed headphones seal around the padding to prevent excess rolloff. With earbuds, there is no escaping this phenomenon and so it is fact that earbuds can not do sub-bass well. The low frequencies leak out and you lose everything below 100Hz. Before you argue with me on this, the reason why one might still "hear" the sub-bass frequencies is also due to the missing fundamental effect, an interesting concept that explains why overtones and harmonics can give the illusion that the fundamental is there when it's actually not.

I have no issue with earbuds personally, they are great if you need something that's easy to put on and if you still want to hear the world around you. But claiming that they can be better than IEMs is the same as claiming that headphones can be better than a speaker setup. An earbud will have to break the law of physics and one would have to achieve the perfect fit every single time for that statement to be true. I don't even need a TOTL IEM, a basic proper $100 IEM would kill any earbud in that metric of consistency alone (personal taste notwithstanding).

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #19 of 26
So far so good with earbuds .
Yes they're in every way surpassed every iem i had tried .
So in my case they're the best , better than iem .

You called a 150 for an earbud is overpriced ? And a $700 earbud is a scam ? You for sure ?
Please don't insult the elites lol

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 26
So far so good with earbuds .
Yes they're in every way surpassed every iem i had tried .
So in my case they're the best , better than iem .

You called a 150 for an earbud is overpriced ? And a $700 earbud is a scam ? You for sure ?
Please don't insult the elites lol

Good for you. Not that good for the majority of people.
And these are some TOTL bud which can surpass most of the TOTL iems , cans out there .

Let me know when they can actually produce meaningful subbass

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 26
Good for you. Not that good for the majority of people.

Let me know when they can actually produce meaningful subbass

Nah words are free .

I welcome anyone to come play with my bud and stuff , if anyone near woodlands ring can always Drop by my place anytime after 8pm , all are welcome , but please bring along drinks and snacks for me so that i can enjoy myself at a corner while i let you have all the time needed to find that missing link you're unable to discover previously with other gears ?

No need to book appointment. I'm just a pm away ; )

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 26
Ah! We are talking about IEMs. I thought it was a different kind of bud.

If you ever get to Los Angeles, look me up and I'll show you the difference between IEMs and a good 5.1 speaker system.

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 26
It’s similar to ask why an $1k iPhone only cost $300 for the material...time, labor, tech...
But I agree that extremely expensive TOTL IEMs (over $2k) has great profits and really overpriced.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 26
But I agree that extremely expensive TOTL IEMs (over $2k) has great profits and really overpriced.

I would argue that that isn't the case. While they are extremely expensive, I feel that this is justified by the high cost of production in terms of research and development in the technologies used. An example would be the sony ier-z1r, where they have to design their own drivers.

They also sell relatively little units, so they are unable to achieve economies of scale. The high costs are spread across the small amount of units sold, which is why they are so expensive. I doubt they are earning a high profit, I feel that a popular and cheaper priced model like the shure se215 would have earned much more money.

Profit is dependent on the price, production costs and quantity of the product sold, you cannot just look at the high prices charged and say that they are earning a high profit.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 26
I would argue that that isn't the case. While they are extremely expensive, I feel that this is justified by the high cost of production in terms of research and development in the technologies used. An example would be the sony ier-z1r, where they have to design their own drivers.

They also sell relatively little units, so they are unable to achieve economies of scale. The high costs are spread across the small amount of units sold, which is why they are so expensive. I doubt they are earning a high profit, I feel that a popular and cheaper priced model like the shure se215 would have earned much more money.

Profit is dependent on the price, production costs and quantity of the product sold, you cannot just look at the high prices charged and say that they are earning a high profit.

You underestimated the buying power of people, especially in Asia market. 64 sold at least 1k pairs of tia fourte in Asia only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back