Images cause scroll bars for whole post
May 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pj_rage

100+ Head-Fier
I have a problem that is making reading any posts with images in them a little annoying.

What seems to happen, is that if an image posted in a post is wider than the allowed thread width (not sure what this allowed width is, but it's very very narrow, seems to be maybe 640 pixels wide?), then the entire post gets it's own scroll bars so that you can scroll and view the whole image.  The problem is that if there is any text accompanying this image, you have to scroll back and forth to read some of the lines of the text!  If the pics are in a review or guide, it's frustrating to keep trying to scroll left and right to read every other line, especially if the post is long enough that you can't even reach the scroll bars (and have to scroll by selecting text or some other means).   (It's actually a little annoying to have to scroll to view each image, and not being able to see the entire image at once too, but the text is definitely a more frustrating problem).

I'm using IE6 (ICK!  but it's what we have to use at work, for now), so maybe that is part of the problem?  I can't remember if my latest version of firefox at home has this problem too, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I can see a couple possible solutions, in order of my personal preference, if something doesn't already exist that I'm missing?

-Have the thread width scale with the browser so if I resize my browser to be wider, I can view a wider thread.
-Have the images display a thumbnail version, with a width that is equal to, or smaller than the thread width, and when you click on them, the actual size is shown.
-Have the text wrap at the forum width.  It appears to already try to do this, but seems that it accounts for the exact thread width instead of the viewable width (which would be actual width - vertical scrollbar width).
-Have the images go inside of their own scroll bars, so that the scroll bars are not on the post text as well.

Either way, I hope this makes the "to do" list, or maybe someone already has a solution?  It's just frustrating for me to read any posts with images in them, and usually they are some of the most interesting ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back