iMac (old 2015) + ? + desktop speaker
Jan 24, 2020 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiomonkey777

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I'm not going to lie. Struggling a bit. Lost my iFi nano BL while travelling! Have found myself back at base more, small flat, need a DAC/amp for the small office. Got my iMac and an active speaker (yey, I know it may not be the best but I'm working on this). Looking for a good suggestion for a new desktop dac/amp that will work well with the iMac. I am into MQA (a bit) so woulr like that option to be open to me as I enjoy Tidal as my main streamer. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Have a look here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../master-index-of-audio-hardware-reviews.8184/

Probably Topping/ Matrix / RME are a good choice depending on your budget.
A couple of USB-C dongles perform pretty good.
Wonder why you want lossy audio formats like MQA

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Seen mixed comments on here about the work done on audiosciencereview.com but will take a look. Now I'm well and truly grounded (as are we all), I need to get moving on this. I suddenly find I have so many audio needs! Lol.

As I've had an iFI before - I was looking at this ZEN DAC and then realised that I would need an amp as well. I may well go with one of these as I've toyed with the idea of getting one for mobile listening too - xDSD. Handy that I can get if from Amazon in Spain as well at the moment since we are living through these troubles times. Also nice to see that Amazon are making more important stuff their priority and so they should be.

As far as MQA goes, I'm an open minded chap, so like trying all the format to be honest. Plus I'm still relatively new on this audio journey so doing some exploring. In the end, it might not be for me but for now, it's fun trying stuff out and that's what music should be about really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back