iMac: Difference in USB vs Digital Out? Firewire?
Apr 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dyrmaker83

Head-Fier
So I've read the new iMacs have a decent DAC built in, and the digital line out has pretty good SQ. If I want to use an external DAC, is there a difference between using a USB interface vs the digital line out? I figured there wouldn't be since their both digital, however, I'm not sure how much "bypassing" the sound card with a USB out affects the sound.

On a related note, I'm considering a DAC that is a recording interface like the E-Mu 0404. I've also seen models that use a firewire interface - would there be a difference between those? I'd be nice to use a firewire port rather than a precious USB.

I don't have an iMac yet, but will as soon as they introduce the penryn versions. Any insights are appreciated!

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 13
digital should be loseless (as in... bit loseless) so that means that it should give u exactly what the song or data gives. USB digital should be same as Optical digital interface.

also, depending on what DAC you get, the quality will obviously be affected... many mac users here will tell you to go get a DUET (apogee) because its probably one of the best recording + w/e DAC out there. (and it uses firewire)

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 13
For a 2 in 2 out recording interface the Apogee Duet is the bees knees. Best sound quality on the market for a device of its size and price (and it sounds pretty good in comparison to more expensive gear). Many are buying to use as a DAC alone. This is all from secondary sources. Mine arrives in the next few days.

Check out the thread in the dedicated sources forum.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 13
I use USB out to an external DAC from an iMac. When I was researching the subject about six months ago, the general consensus was that the differences were marginal and that you also needed to understand how the DAC processed the signal. My interpretation of the views, reviews and comparisons was that USB was "theoretically marginally better in the majority of potential set-ups". I bought an optical cable to do a comparison a few weeks ago. Will try to get time to do this over the weekend and post the results

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 13
How the dac is attached to your computer matters less than what the cable connects to. There are very highly regarded dacs that connect via each of the options (optical, usb, firewire). The biggest drawback to usb is that most usb devices are limited to 48/16. Luckily, most music is only available in 44/16, so that's not as big a deal as it could be. There are ways around that limitation for manufacturers, but it's too expensive for small builders.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks guys. I've seen a lot regarding the Apogee and it being pretty universally awesome, although it's a bit too rich for my blood at $500. The $150-$200 E-Mu seemed more in line with what I wanted to spend. I may decide to bite the bullet though.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 13
The apogee has the advantage that it's a great piece of gear that can replace several other pieces of gear. It will power most headphones as well as amps in it's price range, it's a better dac than other dacs in it's price range, and you get a good ADC taboot.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The apogee has the advantage that it's a great piece of gear that can replace several other pieces of gear. It will power most headphones as well as amps in it's price range, it's a better dac than other dacs in it's price range, and you get a good ADC taboot.

Damn that was fast! Thanks!

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 13
If you give a pm tomorrow mine will have just arrived and I'll be able to give you an impression on it compared to my digi mbox 2 (which AFAIK is about equivalent to the emu).

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyrmaker83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and I know this is covered elsewhere, but quickly - is the headphone amp section of the Duet good? Yes/no?

I was considering a Little Dot MKIII, but compromises may be made.

It's decent, but a lot will depend on what cans you want to use with it. It does fine with my Grados, although I do still prefer the sound out of my Little Dot.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 13
I have headphones that are described by most as "power-hungry" - the AKG K601. They sound better out of the HP out than out of a well reviewed medium priced USB DAC/Amp. Could use more power, but the details, soundstage, even most of the dynamic, are there.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you give a pm tomorrow mine will have just arrived and I'll be able to give you an impression on it compared to my digi mbox 2 (which AFAIK is about equivalent to the emu).

Cool. I figured you'd post about it, so unless I don't see anything I'll wait for that.

You all may have sold me on the Duet. I've looked into it more and it looks like the premium may just be worth it. I still may get the Little Dot later, but that can wait since this will do me for now. I suppose I can also justify the expense after picking up a SI t-amp for $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back