im716 vs um1 vs se110
Apr 8, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 29
Personally I don't find the im716's to be uncomfortable. In fact, I kind of like that they go in my ear pretty far -- it makes me feel a bit more secure that they aren't going to pop out at a moment's notice. The SQ on them is absolutely mind-blowing! With my Tomahawk, they give my C700s a run for their money!

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How it can be for the same tips (for example, Comply)? Sorry, I'm not so much expirienced with earphones, just, for example, I can't push small EP-630 with tips deeper than they (tips) allow.

The UM1's nozzle sticks out 90 degrees from the body of the IEM. The body sits inside your ear and the nozzle with a tip goes into the entrance of your ear canal. The go in about as far as the EP-630.

The im716's body and nozzle are straight. The body doesn't stop you from pushing it farther into your ear canal, so it goes in quite a bit deeper. Not deep enough to get anywhere near your ear drum, just deeper than the UM1 and canal phones.

Most IEMs/canal phones fall into one of these categories (except customs). As a general rule of thumb in these forums, in ears with dynamic drivers are called canal phones. Those with balanced armature are called IEMs.

Most, if not all with dynamic drivers, only just go into your ear canal. A few with balanced armatures have the body and nozzle at near 90 degrees and go in the same distance as those with dynamic drivers (all Westones and Shure 5xx, maybe others).

Most with balanced armatures go much farther in your ear because they are more or less straight.

These pics show the UM2 and SE530PTH. You can see the nozzle at near 90 degrees from the body

1um2new.jpg

1se530blow.jpg

This pic of the ER4 shows the nozzle and the body lined up.

er4-top.jpg

Earphone Solutions has good pictures of Westone, UE, and Shure IEMs in people's ears. The im716's fit is somewhat similar to the SCL3-K.

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 29
Just mean that without an amp, I can't get enough volume for what I consider normal listening levels to suite my tast. And I don't mean ear-shattering. The 716s with pod do not play loud enough for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you mean by your listening levels. I get the same SPL level out of my iPod with my UM1 and im716. I just have to turn it up for the im716. Volume setting is unimportant, as long as it is not high enough to start clipping.

The tri-flanges were too uncomfortable for me to wear. I've read about cutting off the third, large flange, turning them into bi-flanges, but I've never tried it. I was able to get comply tips on the im716, but I destroyed them getting them off. As I stated before, I never got the small Shure olives on, but I didn't try all that hard. I've never tried the small silicone tips, but they should go on with some effort. I've never tryied the BabyBlues, so I can't help you there.

With the small Shure olives, what's needed is some way to stretch the tube so it fits over the im716's nozzle.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 29
I get enough volume out of my Zune 30GB at around 10/20, which is about the same as for my KSC75. I don't want to think about what would happen if I tried maxing the volume (while inserted into my ears).

Only reason I wouldn't get the iM716 is for reasons of portability (pod, housing for drivers is large). Also, the stock tips do kind of suck.

Edit: Okay, I exaggerated. I listen at around 12/20.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 29
You mean you are at 12/20 with 716s? Or in general? In my experience, the volume can depend greatly on the track, since they are recorded at different levels, etc. With the 716, no fear of being too loud even at 18/20.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Actually, I don't think the olives will fit on the SE110. The E2c, the SE110's predecessor, had a bigger nozzle, like most dynamic driver IEMs. I don't know what tips are available for it.

This is wrong. The olives definitely fit on the SE110.
The shures are really comfortable but SQ wise you're better off with something else, unless you can get a good deal on them.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you are at 12/20 with 716s? Or in general? In my experience, the volume can depend greatly on the track, since they are recorded at different levels, etc. With the 716, no fear of being too loud even at 18/20.

With my iPod, 50% volume is painful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberstuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is wrong. The olives definitely fit on the SE110.
The shures are really comfortable but SQ wise you're better off with something else, unless you can get a good deal on them.

Thanks for the correction. Like I said in that post, I was basing my assumption on the E2c which was the predecessor to the SE110. You know what they say about assumptions
biggrin.gif

It's interesting that the SE110 has a small nozzle. All of the dynamic driver IEM/canal phones that I've seen have pretty big nozzles.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I mean with the iM716s. And you're right, I do go up to 18 or so for classical music. I don't ever find 20/20 to not be enough, though. Maybe because I use Bass mode with the Zune, because otherwise it sounds too thin. I guess an amp with balls would help, but that kind of decreases portability.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

It's interesting that the SE110 has a small nozzle. All of the dynamic driver IEM/canal phones that I've seen have pretty big nozzles.

SE110 has an armature driver
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberstuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE110 has an armature driver
wink.gif

So I got everything wrong about the SE110.
tongue.gif

It looks so big in the pictures. I just looked at the specs of 5 Shures on EarphoneSolution, they use different words to describe each driver and none said armature.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I mean with the iM716s. And you're right, I do go up to 18 or so for classical music. I don't ever find 20/20 to not be enough, though. Maybe because I use Bass mode with the Zune, because otherwise it sounds too thin. I guess an amp with balls would help, but that kind of decreases portability.
tongue.gif

Agree, amp is a drag anywhere outside the house. I use SA6s out in the wilds, no amp needed. At home, I use the Minibox with the 716s, and they really sound great.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 29
So, se110 has the same tube as all other Shures?
OK, this brings them back into competition.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you compare um1 and se110 - which of them are the best in comfort and isolation? I guess that in SQ um1 will beat the se110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back