im716 Pod Removal Question
Oct 24, 2006 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

benton

100+ Head-Fier
I just removed my pod on my im716 and am loving it because I despised that stupid thing. However, I chose not to use resistors and went with a straight connection. The sound quality seems to not be what it used to now but I did not have resistors on hand and plan on buying a Supermini IV. In the tutorial it said not to use resistors if you have the supermini IV because it has adjustable impedance. So, my question is what do I have to do to my xin to get the SQ back to the way it was (or better!) with the pod because I have no idea how to adjust the impedance of whatever the heck that means. (I am an electrical retard)

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Tutorial? Mine were the first done here.....not aware of one. If you are getting a Supermini, I'm surprised you haven't devoured Xin's forum pages - at least Supermini support. Anyway, open the case - there are 4 jumpers. You simply move the Impedence jumper (look at the support thread). You may or may not choose to also use bassboost jumpers - experiment to decide. My preference whilst ordering the Supermini is to specify either AD8656 or AD8616 opamps for a somewhat tubey sound ....but, that's me...............your iM716's will now sing to you.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
I just removed my pod on my im716 and am loving it because I despised that stupid thing. However, I chose not to use resistors and went with a straight connection. The sound quality seems to not be what it used to now but I did not have resistors on hand and plan on buying a Supermini IV. In the tutorial it said not to use resistors if you have the supermini IV because it has adjustable impedance. So, my question is what do I have to do to my xin to get the SQ back to the way it was (or better!) with the pod because I have no idea how to adjust the impedance of whatever the heck that means. (I am an electrical retard)

The Alternatives:
The DC impedance of the podless iM716 is only around 4-5 Ohms. You will need to add resistors, or use with an amp with adjustable impedance, as suggested by BushGuy to make this unit better compatible with the source.

The Good:
As you increase the impedance, or add resistance, the prominent bass will decrease and the highs will increase. Like an EQ slider.

Move the impedance to where it is the most enjoyable to you, the music you listen to, and the environment you generally listen in. What other phones offer this custom flexibility?

The Bad:
The problem with adding resistors is they are not quickly changed, and with the flexible impedance of the amp is that you will always need that amp connected to the phones regardless of the source.

Neither alternative is much of a problem, whereas the increase in SQ far outpaces these minor inconveniences.

The Ugly:
Leaving the pod on.

Well, you’ve already gotten past that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back