iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #136 of 352
Finally got a chance to do this last night and Ill say it made me
tongue.gif

I went with a 47 ohm resister..... Im really bad at giving out reviews so I'll spare you the pain, but I will say its the best thing that has happen to these phones , I really wasn't digging there sound all that much and was about to list them for sale, but this mod lifted a lot of the problems i was having with them. This mod did wonders in the vocals and also cleaned up the low end so it was tight and some what controlled. For how cheap and little time it took , I highly recommend it ......

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #138 of 352
yes. TWO resistors, one on each positive channel.

I am pretty sure any electric store has mounts of'em. If you just happen to have an electrical engineering friend, just ask away
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #139 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how have experiments with higher than 47 ohm worked out?

with my altecs on the way, as a treble freak, i don't want to lose extension, though i havn't decided on an amp yet.

I believe someone has tried 68 ohm before, which is essentially the same value as the HD mode. But he still reported improvement. Maybe the pod's just so dam detrimental to the sound
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #140 of 352
I don't think radioshack has 47 ohm 1% metal which is about is good as it gets. But smallbearelectronics does, and it ships incredibly fast. They also have the cool white heat shrink.

Dec 14, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #141 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think radioshack has 47 ohm 1% metal which is about is good as it gets. But smallbearelectronics does, and it ships incredibly fast. They also have the cool white heat shrink.

could you give me an exact link for the 47 ohm and heat shrink? thanks
BTW, which diameter (heat shrink) should I use?

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #144 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might want to try these, instead of my ER6i and needing a bass boost amp.

Can anyone point me to the $40-50 sets? I don't find them for under $90.

Got these in last week, after the buy.com $49.99 sale on the 3rd. Used them for a flight to San Francisco last week, and back (returned today).

They block sound very well, and I like them in bass mode more than my ER6i. HD mode didn't float my boat. I haven't actually tried these without a roaring jet engine and changing middle ear pressure from altitude changes, so I need to do that next - but I'm too busy auditioning my new Triple.fi 10 pro right now.

I just ordered resistors - 22, 33, 47, and 68 ohm. From what I'm reading, the 68ohm still have more bass than HD mode, but I'm expecting that I'll like 33 or 47 ohm the most.

We'll see...

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #145 of 352
on initial impressions right before my exam at 6 pm.. they are great! wonderful upper mids and treble. however it sounds more like an er6 than a er4 to me, according to graphs. as a result its a little fatiguing. Only problem is from low/mid mids. Makes me miss my warm mid shures (which are a little too warm). HD-25's are much better. I think the bass is fine in HD mode otherwise. bass mode is too much bass and clips off some of the upper treble. Also, I reallly dont get much/any microphonics a la shure! why don't more people do this?

only complaint is just my ears.. one is smaller.. so one sounds slightly louder, one isolates more, etc. sucks.

now to go to the lab and get some ~47 ohm resistors.. blue ones are metal film eh? 1% tolerance? does it matter if i match carbon fiber 5% with a multimeter to the same resistance or are the tolerances refering to load?

any tips for wrapping it all up?do i need heat shrink? how is electrical tape?

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #146 of 352
Quote:

I'd go with heatshrink as that gives a clean sturdier wrap than electrical tape ever would.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #147 of 352
doomdayz, I thought the same thing about one ear canal being smaller, and maybe yours are. But, for me, somehow the filter had already gotten dirty on the first day or it was a bad filter to start with. Dont know, but I changed the filter and it fixed the volume issue immediately.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #148 of 352
Quote:

Both work for isolating the leads. however, heat shrink gives more strain resistance than electrical tape, and you can get white heat shrink for that extra cool white on white.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #149 of 352
looks like i will go find some heat shrink, any at ratshack?

and yeah i believe its my ears.. because when no music is playing, they just feel different and block out different.

was there any comparisons between these and er-4s/p? are the ety variants still clearer even with podectomy?

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #150 of 352
Just did mines. Bought the resistors locally for $1 each (I know its a rip but I'm going on vacation soon and needed them now). I tested both 47ohm and 68ohm both 1/4W 1% metal film and found that I liked the 68ohm one better. I could definitely tell the difference between the two, echoing what most people have stated already in this thread. 47ohm had more bass but the detail was a bit more messy. 68ohm still had bass but with much better refined detail. Highs don't seem as rolled off compared to when I was listening to the HD mode on the pod. I couldn't even stand the Bass mode on the pod.

Here is what I could discern from testing the 47ohm first for an hour and then switching over to the 68ohm.

47ohm: Details resemble my AD700. Bass resembles my former sr60's. The defining part here was that it had less spatial separation compared to the 68ohm. Also, cymbals and drums on rock songs sounded messy. It was still an improvement over the pod, but I enjoy details more than I do bass.

68ohm: Details resemble my D2000. Bass resembles my AD700. Much better instrument separation. Much more detailed than the 47ohm. Again, the defining characteristic I used to distinguish between the two was listening to the cymbals and drums on my rock songs. Cymbals especially sounded more contained and less out of control. If this is what the ety sound sig is like then I can understand why so many people are addicted to it.

I have to say a big thanks to jSatch. These were getting no use at all since I'm not a big IEM fan and also because I couldnt stand the sound. Now that they sound much closer to my full sized cans I can imagine using them everywhere I go. Now to fashion myself some DIY foamies and I'm set.

IM716.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back