iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Jan 31, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #346 of 352
Been away from this site for some time. My Creative Zen self terminated so I bought an iPod nano. Sound was far from rich, but overly detailed and bass shy with the modded im716s at 68 Ohms so went back through this thread to see what resistor values were used. The value of resistor sets used depend mightily upon the amp (DAP) you are using.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the overwhelming positive comments on the mod. I was very happy to see the posts. As my phones are getting old, are the im716s still available?

Fallingwater, your results are not what I have experienced, but more importantly what the vast majority of others (with various other DAPs) have experienced, I would think there may have been an issue with your re-wire job. However, everyones tastes in desired sound signature are different. The beauty, I think, of this mod is that you can alter the sound sig to match your DAP with your particular taste- within the parameters of the of the transducer! That said, if you truly enjoy strong bass, I don't think these phones (or any Ety phones) will be to your liking. Every transducer has its strengths and weaknesses. I wish you luck in getting your phones to the level you want. I also had issues with bas with the tri-flanges. As mentioned somewhere here (and another thread of mine I travel through numerous custom, DIY foam ear plugs), and other posts, a good fitting foam ear plug is much preferred due to the mechanics of how bass is generated within the ear canal. Tri-flanges just don't cut it for my particular ears. Your results may vary. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...-cheap-202879/)

Thanks again everyone for the support. It was a blast reading through these pages.

Cheers, J
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #347 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been away from this site for some time. My Creative Zen self terminated so I bought an iPod nano. Sound was far from rich, but overly detailed and bass shy with the modded im716s at 68 Ohms so went back through this thread to see what resistor values were used. The value of resistor sets used depend mightily upon the amp (DAP) you are using.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the overwhelming positive comments on the mod. I was very happy to see the posts. As my phones are getting old, are the im716s still available?

Fallingwater, your results are not what I have experienced, but more importantly what the vast majority of others (with various other DAPs) have experienced, I would think there may have been an issue with your re-wire job. However, everyones tastes in desired sound signature are different. The beauty, I think, of this mod is that you can alter the sound sig to match your DAP with your particular taste- within the parameters of the of the transducer! That said, if you truly enjoy strong bass, I don't think these phones (or any Ety phones) will be to your liking. Every transducer has its strengths and weaknesses. I wish you luck in getting your phones to the level you want. I also had issues with bas with the tri-flanges. As mentioned somewhere here (and another thread of mine I travel through numerous custom, DIY foam ear plugs), and other posts, a good fitting foam ear plug is much preferred due to the mechanics of how bass is generated within the ear canal. Tri-flanges just don't cut it for my particular ears. Your results may vary. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mod...-cheap-202879/)

Thanks again everyone for the support. It was a blast reading through these pages.

Cheers, J
beerchug.gif

Didn't expect this thread to be bumped up.
biggrin.gif

But I am a convert. A few months ago, I bought an already depodded iM716 (at 33 ohms, but I'm planning to recable it to 47 ohms.) and I love it. :p

Thanks J for all the work you put into this mod,
Leon

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #348 of 352
Thank you Leon!

I'm moving to 47 Ohms too. If I remember, my wires are pretty frayed from all the previous resistor switching I did. Hope there's enough there for another swap. Good luck with your swap.

Cheers, J

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #349 of 352
Extreme thread bump!

I hadn't used my im716 in a long time because like most of you i don't like either setting on the pod, and i hadn't come up with a totally clean way to install an inline 47 ohm resistor. 

So i finally did it today. I popped the backs off of the housings, desoldered the original cable, desoldered the 0-ohm resistors from the flex pcbs, installed minim-elf 47-ohm metal film smd resistors in their place (have to be held in place with tweezers because they are cylindrical), soldered on an ibud cable, and glued the backs back on with watchmaker's hypo cement. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #351 of 352
Yeah, I just had to order the resistors, find some genuine ibuds (nicer cable), and man up. 

It helps that i have needle point tweezers and stuff already. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back