IM616 in the Philippines for 15$ *UPDATE And the im716 as well!
Oct 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Fallen

100+ Head-Fier
Was looking to replace my Apple ADDIEMs (broke within 5 months). I liked-not-loved the sound of the ADDIEMS, but I bought them for retail 79$ in the US last year, and recently was trying to get in on the 30$ deals on ebay.

Not being a US resident, it was impossible to get in on the cheap ebay deal (you need a confirmed US address and credit card). And now I'm glad that happened.

Found a retail store with a bunch of new-old-stock im616's for 700 PHP, or 15 USD. And they sound so much cleaner and yet more engaging than the ADDIEMS. The detail in the highs have an energy that is so much more exciting than the strong but dry mids of the ADDIEMS.

In spite of being single driver iems, I do believe they at least match the bass of the dual driver Apple iems.

The ADDIEMS were my first BA iems, and I was impressed though not overwhelmed. But here comes a discontinued iem that is just that much better, and a whole lot cheaper, considering I paid retail plus tax for the ADDIEMS.

I'd get the ADDIEMS again if I pick up an iphone, just for the functionality. They're really not a bad iem. And if I could get them at the low price, I would. (Anyone want to trade? I'll ship two im616's to the U.S. for one ADDIEM. Though i want the newer version, hopefully, the one that doesn't break as easily).

Anyway. Loving the im616! What a great iem! And an amazing price!

I think I'll drop by tomorrow and try to pick up a spare one when my girlfriend's not watching.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 25
That is just about the deal of the century

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 25
wow.. 15$??
is it true?? i want one if u dont mind send it to indonesia..

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 25
Ok. I have new details about my miracle find.

I went back to the store today to pick up a spare set, as well as one for a friend of mine who is into headphones (the store is Ambassador Appliances in Virra Mall, Greenhills, for the pinoys out there who asked).

They said they had a LOT in stock, which was exciting, but it turns out they only had three left. The other five or so similar boxes were not headphones, but Altec Lansing ipod shuffle adapters, whose boxes look exactly the same as the headphones.

I decided to buy two and leave one. EXCEPT, when I looked closely, one of the remaining ones was NOT an im616 but an im716! It was the only one that looked previously opened, and one foam earphone was missing, but I wasn't about to complain. The tri-flanges were there anyway, I determined with my first im616 that I preferred those.

I couldn't let that one go either. So I ended up getting all three, in addition to the one I got last Sunday.

I go through headphones like a kid goes through candy, so I figured having the two spares couldn't hurt- one im616 and one im716, and I'd give the other 616 to my friend. May as well spread the love.

I discovered a few other things as well. Ambassador Appliances was re-selling the old stock of SM Appliances. I know this because there was a half-torn sticker tag on the bottom of one box, which priced the im616 at 7,736.84 Philippine Pesos, around US$166.

SM probably dumped the slow selling items off to Ambassador, and I was given a gift from the headphone gods, for which I am eternally thankful.

So in summary, I was able to get 3 im616's and one im716 for the grand total of 2,800 Philippine pesos or 60USD. I'm only keeping three of them, but still.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fellow pinoys should search the other branches of Ambassador, I know there's one in Shangri-la Edsa, Park Square, and Binondo.

As for those from other countries who PM'ed me asking me to buy for them, I'm sorry but I think I'll let my fellow Filipinos in on the deal first. We never can get good headphone deals in this country. This may be the first.

I'll upload some pics as soon as I figure out how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back