I'm willing to be I'm the first head-fier who has had this experience.
Mar 17, 2005 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

remilard

500+ Head-Fier
I was stuck on an elevator for 90 minutes this evening with a guy wearing tri-ports. If I had my ipod and westones (and some extra tips) we could have had the first ever head-fi elevator meet.

ETA: I'm carrying a bottle of water and a deck of playing cards with me everywhere from now on. 90 minutes on an elevator = 9 hours real time

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 14
yeah . . I'm pretty sure the guy'd think you were some weirdo and get try to get away from you somehow. Even it meant forcing you to listen to his triports until you pass out from the crappiness.

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
yeah . . I'm pretty sure the guy'd think you were some weirdo and get try to get away from you somehow. Even it meant forcing you to listen to his triports until you pass out from the crappiness.

I've been very scared of Triports ever since I saw them used on 24 as a torture device (I have a hard time separating fact from fiction when it comes to 24).

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I've been very scared of Triports ever since I saw them used on 24 as a torture device (I have a hard time separating fact from fiction when it comes to 24).

Well sadly, if the situation did happen where you yourself were tortured using triports, you probably wouldn't be able to pass out and get temporarily relief. Torture is quite stimulating I believe. But I doubt such event would arise. Anyways, you shouldn't really fear them. Triports have (IMO) pretty bad build quality, you could probably just tear them in two like bruce banner. And the guy wearing them will probably be too deaf from listening to britney spears with the s**tbass turned up that he wouldn't notice you five-across-the-eyeing him with the back of the ipod and constricting his throat with the westones. So fear not, you are probably at an advantage if such a confrontation were to ever occur.

(this is a joke post if you couldn't tell. Why the hell am I still awake?
tongue.gif
)

Mar 17, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I was stuck on an elevator for 90 minutes this evening with a guy wearing tri-ports. If I had my ipod and westones (and some extra tips) we could have had the first ever head-fi elevator meet.

ETA: I'm carrying a bottle of water and a deck of playing cards with me everywhere from now on. 90 minutes on an elevator = 9 hours real time

I feel sorry for him more than you
biggrin.gif
.... Maybe his MP3 player was turned off...
icon10.gif

Garrett

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 14
lol. I feel your pain. I was stuck in an elevator for an hour once and it was some of the most miserable time in my life.

It was back in college. A bunch of guys from my dorm had all gone to the same frat recruitment thing. Since this particular fraternity was known as a home for the football team, most of the guys were big-fellas weighing 200 lbs at minimum. (How I ended up beng recruited by that fraternity is another story entirely, one that ends with me leaving it.) Tired from the long night, we arrived back at the dorm and, instead of taking the 5 or 6 flights of stairs, we all decided to take the elevator. The stage was set for a disaster.

Predictably we tried to see how many of us we could cram in. After filling every available inch with sweaty football player, someone pushed the a floor button... the doors closed... there was a squeeky noise.. and then nothing happened. For the next hour or so we stood there... It was a dank hell. The intercom was broken so we couldn't even call for help! I thought I was going to die there
frown.gif
But eventually one of us found a manual door release and we got free.

Moral of the story = those weight limits on elevators are actually meaningful!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
lol. I feel your pain. I was stuck in an elevator for an hour once and it was some of the most miserable time in my life.

It was back in college. A bunch of guys from my dorm had all gone to the same frat recruitment thing. Since this particular fraternity was known as a home for the football team, most of the guys were big-fellas weighing 200 lbs at minimum. (How I ended up beng recruited by that fraternity is another story entirely, one that ends with me leaving it.) Tired from the long night, we arrived back at the dorm and, instead of taking the 5 or 6 flights of stairs, we all decided to take the elevator. The stage was set for a disaster.

Predictably we tried to see how many of us we could cram in. After filling every available inch with sweaty football player, someone pushed the a floor button... the doors closed... there was a squeeky noise.. and then nothing happened. For the next hour or so we stood there... It was a dank hell. The intercom was broken so we couldn't even call for help! I thought I was going to die there
frown.gif
But eventually one of us found a manual door release and we got free.

Moral of the story = those weight limits on elevators are actually meaningful!

smily_headphones1.gif

You must have wanted to kiss the ground when you finally got out of there. Seriously, you guys are lucky that you didn't actually die in there. But on the bright side, had that occurred, you guys would probably all been given Darwin Awards posthumously.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Wow, thats way worse than my experience. I was in there a little longer but with three, normal sized, non sweaty people. We had room to sit down and extend our legs.

This happened after a fire (false) alarm. The grounds/building employee and the fireman told us it was allright to use the elevator, and then when we called for help the guy gave us crap about getting on an elevator during a fire alarm. Even if we handn't been told it was okay, you would think when talking to people stuck on an elevator you could bite your tongue and decline to give them crap.

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 14
I have a similar story, only mine ends in me actually breaking an elevator and barely escaping.

It was freshman year, and I was walking back from the library at like 12 (finals week). Well, I was so wired on coffee and Red Bull, that I decided it would be cool to try and see if I could pry the doors of the elevator open...in mid flight. After opening them about 2 inches, I heard this grinding sound, and the doors swung right open, while the elevator jolted to a stop. So hard in fact, that I was flung to the floor. After getting up, I stared straight ahead in amazement. Above me was the 3rd floor, and below me was the 2nd floor. Right in front of me, was cement and piping. I had actually opened the elevator doors in between floors, freaking amazing.

I had no clue what to do, so I just shimmied my way down to the 2nd floor, and ran down the stairwell to my room. Low and behold, the next day elevator repairman were working on the broken car
eek.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
It was freshman year, and I was walking back from the library at like 12 (finals week). Well, I was so wired on coffee and Red Bull, that I decided it would be cool to try and see if I could pry the doors of the elevator open...in mid flight.

WOW...so redbull and coffee dont mix?

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
WOW...so redbull and coffee dont mix?

Let's just say they have strange affects on the decision making part of your brain...As my story clearly demonstrated
biggrin.gif

And no...alcohol wasn't involved.

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 14
And people wonder why I don't like elevators. The worst experience I've ever had personally was when one stopped in between two floors of my dorm when I was attending college few years back. After contemplating my options, I manually pulled the doors apart and climbed out of it.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 14
My building is really new, so I don't know if this is a new thing, but the doors were not pry openable (at least without a machine of some type). The tech had to get on top of the car to release them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back