I'm unemployed
Jun 16, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
I gave my notice two weeks ago and had my exit interview today. I have been with that company for the past 13 years. I have not been in this situation my entire adult life. Ya know, it feels kind of nice! I left on good terms and wished them the best.

My wife has been working in New York while I was in Florida. I'll be in New York tomorrow to look at apartments. My wife has been doing home health care (as a live in). We plan to be moved and settled by July 1.

I don't have a job yet, but have sent my resume to a number of employers. I had a fantastic phone interview today and will have a face-to-face in a few weeks. I'm hopeful that something hits soon. I've had some offers for temp work and may take that until I see what offers my resume yields.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 23
You seem to be dealing with it well. At least you have more listening time now right?
smily_headphones1.gif
Best of luck in your job seach.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 23
I've been unemployed for about a month now. I absolutely love it!!

I'm about to graduate at the end of this month and hope to get job sometime in July. Right now I'm living off my savings and have very little debt since my tuition was free (parent is an employee). Coincidentally, my GF has been unemployed for the past two weeks. Needless to say we've been having fun being lazy together. She started a new job though so I guess the fun is over for her. Not me though, I don't need no stinking paycheck from the "man".

EDIT:
My girlfriend also happens to be a stripper... Yeah, headphone nerds can get hot chicks too.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 23
Well as of today I join the club guys, I was "dismissed" because of a "taskforce reduction" of sorts
confused.gif

Anyhow, it's good time to find a better job, here in Spain we have some sort of unemployement insurance, that when you are out of work the government pays you something like 70 - 80% your last salary for a given number of months. I think I have about 5 or so months there, but being unemployed starts getting on you when you have been looking for a job for long and can't find one.

Just hope we all find something suitable soon guys.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
I gave my notice two weeks ago and had my exit interview today. I have been with that company for the past 13 years. I have not been in this situation my entire adult life. Ya know, it feels kind of nice! I left on good terms and wished them the best.

You did this the right way. Leaving on good terms pays major dividends down the road.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 23
I understand what your going through Denim....albeit a bit different situation still similar.

I just turned my 2 weeks in and had my exit three weeks ago, I was only there a little over a year, but I was just starting to turn things around.

I broke up with my ex of 5.5 years after a string of bad luck in 03(lay off, fired, $2500 in car repair)...I had to bite the bullet and take a room back at my folkes house, not something I thought I would do at 28. I started getting some savings back, (till I found head-fi lol) and my dad retired and my folkes decided to leave Ft lauderdale and move to Northern Fl so that is why I left my job,(try to start aknew) with what I was making doing tech support just wasn't enough to afford 1,000 a month for a 800 sq ft 1 bedroom apartmnet...

I'm looking like crazy, I had an interview today in Daytona, going to be an hour drive but hopefully things will turn around, and I can get back out on my own living with my parents well it saves me money is driving me crazy.

Good Luck Denim

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks guys, sounds like I'm not alone.

c0mfortably_numb, are you in Jacksonville? I worked there for 1 year, and moved to Lakeland after that. Jacksonville was not a very good experience for me. I thought that I would stay in Lakeland a year or so and find something better. Almost 20 years later and I'm finally leaving. I'd PM you about the opening created where I worked, but you would hate me for it.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

My wife has been working in New York while I was in Florida. I'll be in New York tomorrow to look at apartments. My wife has been doing home health care (as a live in). We plan to be moved and settled by July 1.

Excellent, welcome to New York and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif
Will you be in NYC?

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 23
Denim I'm in an even worse town, I'm in Flager County...I think population is 25,000...Everything is a drive. The only thing here is a wal-mart, a few restraunts and several one way roads that have worse traffice then New York
very_evil_smiley.gif
(I've never been to New York, just being drmatic lol) So if I want to make any kind of living I'm going to have to commute.

I am kind of getting home sick, I didn't think I would miss the hustle and bustle of Ft Lauderdale and south florida in general... but I did have quit a few freinds mostly all settled by now at this age
rolleyes.gif
but I have come to the reasoning that stuff happens and sometimes not always the way you think it should.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Excellent, welcome to New York and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif
Will you be in NYC?

Sorry about your wallet? Man, that's an understatement! I'm going from $650 / month to $1700 / month, or so for rent! Obviously, I won't be in Manhatten. I've got a huge stack of papers from rent.com to check out. I'll focus mainly on Long Island near Rockville Centre (where my wife is). I've heard good things about Astoria, and I'll check out the nearby areas. Don't know where I'll land, but as long as it's a good area, I'm OK.

I'm going to love New York once I get over the sticker shock.

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

I'm going to love New York once I get over the sticker shock.

Trudat!

Welcome to the greatest city on Earth.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 23
Unemployed? Me too!

My boss told me yesterday that today was my last day. Oh well, small business ventures are risky. At least I don't have second mortgages to pay off like my bosses.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm unemployed as well!

Its summer vacation from College, and my mother is going in for surgery, which will leave her bed bound for three months. I'm staying home to take care of her and the house, that way its less of a burden on the rest of my family, who work full time.

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 23
How often do you see a thread about unemplyoment where people are happy?
biggrin.gif
. Oh, and isn't it ironic your boss has 2 mortgages and is laying people off? LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back