I'm treating myself after an extremely negative life experience
Nov 21, 2015 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

darwinvsjesus

Head-Fier
Hey there. So my partner of 10 years and I just moved to another state. About four days after we moved she said "I don't love you anymore. I haven't loved you for years. There's someone else. He's coming to visit and I want you out". 

So, that blows. A little background. I have bipolar disorder, and I am on a lot of meds to literally maintain my sanity. I moved in September but because of what's happened I'm moving back home. It's been so long with her, though, that I have to start my whole life over again. A big part of this is spending at least the winter living with my father, with frequent visits to the psychiatrist while I try to get my mental health back.  That said, I find that music is nourishing emotionally. I find that a genuinely immersive experience is deeply satisfying and it really helps me escape, you might say. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-25-ii  and V-moda m-100.  The Senns are too sibilant. I love the V-modas, but they are definitely not for everything. 

Since I'm not ready to get into amps and stuff -- the stress of learning all of that is not for me right now -- I'm just looking for a good pair of headphones -- that won't sound like either of the ones mentioned -- the Senns or the V-moda. Something that would be good for death metal  and acoustic music. As a small example -- let's use the following music as a representation of what I'm likely to play:

The Mountain Goats -- all of their stuff. My favorite.
Cannibal Corpse (older)
Deicide
Iron and Wine
Elliot Smith
Carcass
Marduk
Nick Drake
Purity Ring (not kidding)

Something that can handle the lows that you might hear in down-tuned guitars/bass from death metal, but also have a profile (right word?) that makes solo acoustic stuff sound very good. I've never had cans that could make Elliot Smith's self-titled album sound great.    I'm not looking for cans that will be good for electronic music, because I've got that. I'm looking for something with a rich, warm, organic sound, with treble that is balanced and not sibilant. Something that has good separation. They can be bass-heavy, but I wouldn't call myself a bass-head. Just something that would compliment the stuff I have now, meaning a new aural experience. Price is not important to me. Speaking honestly,  I'm heartbroken in a way I cannot possibly describe, and I want to treat myself to something that will actually be quite useful in terms of my mental health.  Oh, and it would be good if they were decently durable. (detachable cable or notoriously durable cables always a plus)

thanks guys.

EDIT:
I'm thinking about the Grado SR80e. I seem to remember people saying that the Grado SR225s were the best. Is the difference so distinct as to justify the price jump? Like I said, I don't care about the price, but, of course, I'd love to get the best for every dollar i'm spending. I might buy the SR80  no matter what just because they are so cheap. But would these or the 225s work? We'll start there, I guess. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 33
Please don't get Grados, if you want to avoid harsh highs, stay away from those.

Something I think will be different than the two headphones you mentioned that you own are the Audio Technica ES10. They do not require an amp, they are portable and have similar form to your other headphones, they're sturdy as hell, and they have something that your headphones don't have now; MIDS. The ES10 is awesome for vocals like many of Audio Technica's headphones and they can still offer a pretty satisfying amount of bass if the music you are listening to demands it. You can swap ESW9 or ESW11LTD pads onto them to change the sound signature a little if you would ever want to do that. 

This is my recommendation. I have owned the M100 and can say the ES10 would be a great compliment to it if you aren't wanting to listen to something V-shaped.

I hope everything in your personal life gets better too.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 33
it's not that I want to avoid harsh highs, necessarily, but rather I found the sibilance of the HD 25-1 ii to be somewhat grating. But if the Grados have that same sibilance, then they won't do. I'm thinking something with a better soundstage. I've never had the pleasure of really hearing a good soundstage.

I should add that with some metal/rock I find the v-modas  are a little muddy. Probably  due to the heavy bass. So that's one thing I want to hear differently. If I had to sum it up in a few words -- wide-open soundstage, warm,  and clear -- different from what I've already got.

-- I am looking into those Audio Technica cans now.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 33
Yep, completely agree with PETEREK. The ES10 should suit your needs. The grados are too sharp. Then again when it comes down to everything is subjective. Do you have an audio outlet nearby to audition various cans?

Of course, I hope that you will get over your personal situation. Keep well.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 33
it's not that I want to avoid harsh highs, necessarily, but rather I found the sibilance of the HD 25-1 ii to be somewhat grating. But if the Grados have that same sibilance, then they won't do. I'm thinking something with a better soundstage. I've never had the pleasure of really hearing a good soundstage.

I should add that with some metal/rock I find the v-modas  are a little muddy. Probably  due to the heavy bass. So that's one thing I want to hear differently. If I had to sum it up in a few words -- wide-open soundstage, warm,  and clear -- different from what I've already got.

I moved a long (loooong) way to be with my other, I am sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. Mental health issues are no joke either. I have friends with bipolar disorder.

I second PETEREK's recommendation regarding Grados. I love them, and the mids on them are gorgeous too, meaning acoustic stuff sounds excellent, but it takes modifications and a tolerance for treble to like them.

It's a little left-field, but earbuds are making crazy advances these days. Keep an eye on the AliExpress store for VE (Venture Electronics). They make something called the Monk for $5 that is stunning. Good bass, gorgeous mids, and smooth treble.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 33
I don't know where in New Jersey you're currently residing but if it's possible to get the train to New York I would recommend a trip to Stereo a Exchange in Manhattan. No, I don't handy affiliation with them. I'm suggesting them because they have a highly thought of headphone lounge for auditioning cans.

Under the circumstances, I know that this Thanksgiving will be tough for you. Treasure those who are there for you and also take some space when you need to. Be well.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 33
I personally like the Grado's.  I own a pair of SR60e and love them.  I've always read how harsh the highs are with them, but I'm not hearing it.  When I compare them to my HD558, the highs are veiled behind the mids and sometimes get drown out by the other frequencies depending on the music.  The mids are very forward and they have punchy bass with some impact when amped.  I'm a metal head and find them quite excellent for nearly all genres I listen to (traditional, thrash, death, etc.)  I would also recommend the HD558 for metal as well.  They are very neutral across all frequencies IMO and you can even get a little more out of them if you amp them as well.  I did mod my SR60e, but only the cable to make them portable.  I'm still using the original ear pads and haven't added any tape, holes, or removed anything.  Just my .02 cents.  

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 33
  Are the Audio Technica ES10 open back? is that (open back, I mean) something I'd actually want if I'm looking for a good soundstage?

Definitely want open back if you want a bigger sound stage.  Grado's have a pretty decent sound stage (slightly more in your head) when compared to my HD558 which is definitely wider.  Closed backs will give you better bass if that's your thing.

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 33
I just want something different than what I have. I want something that will be immersive. I want something amazing. Something astonishing. I don't care about the money. For all intents and purposes, this is for my mental health. I feel like I deserve some good cans.  Let me put it this way:

The HD-25s are good, but not astounding. Definitely a small soundstage. Definitely too sibilant. I mean like HISSSSSSSSSSSS sibilant. I bought them specifically because I could literally beat the **** out of them and they wouldn't break -- and you know what? they didn't break. I bought the vmodas with the same thing in mind. I wanted ultra-durable, somewhat portable headphones with good sound.

I love music. I get goosebumps when I talk about the music I love. I want to hear it through headphones that astonish me.  That said, what might be a good choice? I've heard good things about the Sennheiser 600/650 models. But I'm wondering if I should branch out and try audio technica or AKGs.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 33
I just want something different than what I have. I want something that will be immersive. I want something amazing. Something astonishing. I don't care about the money. For all intents and purposes, this is for my mental health. I feel like I deserve some good cans.  Let me put it this way:

The HD-25s are good, but not astounding. Definitely a small soundstage. Definitely too sibilant. I mean like HISSSSSSSSSSSS sibilant. I bought them specifically because I could literally beat the **** out of them and they wouldn't break -- and you know what? they didn't break. I bought the vmodas with the same thing in mind. I wanted ultra-durable, somewhat portable headphones with good sound.

I love music. I get goosebumps when I talk about the music I love. I want to hear it through headphones that astonish me.  That said, what might be a good choice? I've heard good things about the Sennheiser 600/650 models. But I'm wondering if I should branch out and try audio technica or AKGs.

Hey buddy,

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and I believe I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope things get better for you soon.

I would really like to recommend the Philips Fidelio X2 headphones. For a couple of reasons.

1) it's the first headphone for a Long time in that price range that's considered good enough to compete with and even take over he legendary trio (dt880, Hd600, k712)

2) Having tried it extensively, if I had to pick one headphone to have, apart from the hd800, Sr-009, k812 and he1000, all of which are very expensive, it would be the Fidelio x2 regardless of price.

3) it's a very versatile headphone. It's plenty clear to me, not the last word in resolution but good enough considering its price. It's masterfully tuned, and very musical indeed. In terms of soundstaging, it throws a very very spacious soundstage that in my opinion can't really be beat till you get to the TOTL headphones that I mentioned above.

4) It's easy to drive, and not the slightest bit demanding on amplification or source. It sounds good with everything, is extremely versatile, and can only get better as you improve the source or amplification, so it will last you some ways.

5) Those top the line headphones I mentioned, (I know you don't mind spending more), but basically, the cost isn't simply in the handphones. They can be a real pain to match and pair up, and the amps and dacs can all add up to set you back 5-10k, and in my opinion, aren't necessarily more enjoyable than the Fidelios.

This is coming from someone who's had tonnes of experience with the top of the line headphones and IEMs, I've tried pretty much most custom IEMs you can think of too. Not trying to boast here, I don't believe for a moment that I have special ears and that I can hear things that people can't, but that's my experience with the Fidelios. Awesome value for money, insanely versatile and musical :)

I've had tonnes of friends who've had lots of experience too and have similar findings to me. I would thoroughly recommend you go for the Fidelios, since they sound great out of anything. And if you want in future, you can slowly play the upgrade game at your free time when you're in the mood for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back