I'm thinking about getting my first stereo setup, and I have no idea where to start.
Nov 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 51
Yep a lot of retailers sell T-Amps but pair these with less than optimal PSUs - PE has that Lepai wuth a 12V/2A PSU for example - even eBay has that same amp paired with a 12V/4A with free international ship - my very 1st Lepai i got it seperate amp and a 12V/5A PSU hehe 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA2020-Stereo-Amplifier-Tripath-12v4A-adapter-car-mp3-/120737153411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1c7ec183
Agree if u want more beef the Dayton DTA-100A is ideal but i guess for sub $100 with less than optimal PSU is still a good deal ^^ Otherwise is size is less of an issue i would go vintage/classic at that price range used 

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 51
I bought a 12/4A supply from one of those free ship international guys and took some measurements.  The Lepai actually put out more power with the supplied 2A supply than it did with the 4A supply!  Then I tried a HP power supply at 13.5v and 5A.  The extra voltage should have really helped but it was only a little better.  I think the manufacturer is limiting the voltage pretty close to 12 volts inside the amp to prevent burnout issues.  I agree, vintage amps are a good way to go if size is not an issue.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 51
I'm just going to go ahead and, at the risk of gaining the ire of the community here, admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. And I think I have to switch my decision and go for something like an integrated mp3/computer speaker (or speaker set) because I just don't have the expertise or knowledge yet to deal with wires and receivers and et cetera. And because if I go with a (nice but cheaper) speaker set, I can also afford to buy a headphone amp. 

So yeah. This thread can certainly stick around to help others... but alas... I'm out.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 51
it's your decision. it’s quite possible a PC speaker system will suit you fine – Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 gets lots of satisfied users - but it’s also very possible you’ll waste money. I/we can only give recommendations based on what (I) think is best, which is based on personal experience (and sometimes other experiences too), and personal subjective taste. I would not buy a PC speaker system because of the few I heard (owned one set) they all would be a major source of frustration. I’d take a Lepai and any speakers recommended here anyday. (to be honest, personally, I’d spend the $200 on a pair of headphones.)

regarding amp/wire etc… the components need to be connected... and then they just work. no knowledge of how they work required. there’s no secret expertise. they're made to work together.

however, it’s always best to audition before buying.

peace

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 51
I'm just going to go ahead and, at the risk of gaining the ire of the community here, admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. And I think I have to switch my decision and go for something like an integrated mp3/computer speaker (or speaker set) because I just don't have the expertise or knowledge yet to deal with wires and receivers and et cetera. And because if I go with a (nice but cheaper) speaker set, I can also afford to buy a headphone amp. 

So yeah. This thread can certainly stick around to help others... but alas... I'm out.

You're making a mistake.

If you don't understand how to set things up, learn.

A receiver is a piece of cake. Most here can make the connections in a minute (literally) and no deep knowledge is necessary. If you were nearby, I'd unplug everything and walk you through putting it back together in five minutes. You'd completely understand.

Even then, you have a community here who will answer questions.

I think cheap computer speakers are a complete waste of money. They don't sound good and are a complete loss on resale. $200 today will be worth maybe $30 or $40 in a few years.

Spend slightly more and get something like the PSB Alpha B1 and run them off any old receiver you can find.

If you really want an education, order a kit from Madisound. Some come with cabinets or you can make your own. Or take $20 of MDF to a cabinet shop and spend $30-$50 having it cut to the correct sizes. The shop I go to charges 50¢ per cut. I can have cabinets cut - by a pro with pro equipment - for about $50, including the material.

You could do it, too. Get outside your comfort zone and do something you haven't done before. That's how you learn. Not to mention getting great sound on the cheap.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #22 of 51
Ok I'm rethinking. It seems like, while towers look nicer (physically) everything points toward lower-price bookshelf speakers being higher quality than lower-price tower speakers.

So I'll look. If anyone has suggestions for a pair, and an amp that would work well with them, for under $250, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 51
Ok at my sub-200 dollar price point I'm looking at these bookshelf speakers, all from Polk:

-Polk Monitor30 Series II 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290201)
-Polk TSi100 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321811319&sr=8-1)
-Polk RTi4 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321811366&sr=1-25)
-Polk Monitor40 Series II 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203)

I would buy the Lepai Tripath amp for whichever pair of speakers I bought. 

Does anyone have an opinion on which of these speakers I should go with? I'm currently leaning toward the Monitor40 Series II, although I'd still like another opinion largely because only Newegg seems to recognize that it exists...

So yeah, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 51

Quote:
Ok at my sub-200 dollar price point I'm looking at these bookshelf speakers, all from Polk:
-Polk Monitor30 Series II 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290201)
-Polk TSi100 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321811319&sr=8-1)
-Polk RTi4 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321811366&sr=1-25)
-Polk Monitor40 Series II 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203)
I would buy the Lepai Tripath amp for whichever pair of speakers I bought. 
Does anyone have an opinion on which of these speakers I should go with? I'm currently leaning toward the Monitor40 Series II, although I'd still like another opinion largely because only Newegg seems to recognize that it exists...
So yeah, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Polk Audio Monitor series has gotten good reviews on Consumer Reports.
And I could see favoring the Monitor 40s.

But my two cents say just get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, I paid $90 for used, in great shape.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #26 of 51

Quote:
Polk Audio Monitor series has gotten good reviews on Consumer Reports.
And I could see favoring the Monitor 40s.

But my two cents say just get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, I paid $90 for used, in great shape.

Really? That's interesting, had kinda counted that one out. Hm. 
Not to discredit PurpleAngel, but for the sake of other opinions does anyone else think I should probably go with the ProMedia 2.1? 

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
Really? That's interesting, had kinda counted that one out. Hm. 
Not to discredit PurpleAngel, but for the sake of other opinions does anyone else think I should probably go with the ProMedia 2.1? 

I would say the Polk Audio 40s with an amplifier would sound better the then the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.
I suggested the Klipsch because they as least decent and cheaper.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #28 of 51
Yea, Uncle Eric to the rescue!  Good job. 

The PSB Alpha are great speakers for the money.  The Polks are discontinued and deeply discounted so they may be a good value.  Stereophile has the Polk RTiA1 on their current recommended list and the RTi4 seems to be similar.  In fact they reviewed the RTi4 earlier:

"Considering that the RTi4 costs just $320/pair, its measured performance is excellent."
John Atkinson
Stereophile
October 2004

"I was immediately taken by the RTi4's detialed, natural, and delicate midrange."
"The RTi4's high frequency-performance was detailed and extended with all recordings, but percussion fared particularly well."
"Polk Audio is to be commended for a positive evolutionary change in its most affordable speaker line."
A Stereophile Recommended Component
Robert Reina
Stereophile
October 2004

The Monitor 40 has the same sensitivity ratings of 89dB like the RTi4, so the Lepai can drive them if you listen close to them and not too loud.  The best thing would be to listen to each one you are considering.  If you can't, then I would give some weight to the good review at Stereophile who I trust.  Both have very similar -3dB specs of 60Hz (RTi4) and 57Hz (Monitor 40) so the bass extension is similar.  But detailed, natural and delicate midrange is certainly a good thing, and it seems that the RTi4 does that pretty well...hard to say about the other models.  At $150 a pair it seems like a pretty good deal.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #29 of 51

Quote:
Yea, Uncle Eric to the rescue!  Good job. 

The PSB Alpha are great speakers for the money.  The Polks are discontinued and deeply discounted so they may be a good value.  Stereophile has the Polk RTiA1 on their current recommended list and the RTi4 seems to be similar.  In fact they reviewed the RTi4 earlier:

"Considering that the RTi4 costs just $320/pair, its measured performance is excellent."
John Atkinson
Stereophile
October 2004

"I was immediately taken by the RTi4's detialed, natural, and delicate midrange."
"The RTi4's high frequency-performance was detailed and extended with all recordings, but percussion fared particularly well."
"Polk Audio is to be commended for a positive evolutionary change in its most affordable speaker line."
A Stereophile Recommended Component
Robert Reina
Stereophile
October 2004

The Monitor 40 has the same sensitivity ratings of 89dB like the RTi4, so the Lepai can drive them if you listen close to them and not too loud.  The best thing would be to listen to each one you are considering.  If you can't, then I would give some weight to the good review at Stereophile who I trust.  Both have very similar -3dB specs of 60Hz (RTi4) and 57Hz (Monitor 40) so the bass extension is similar.  But detailed, natural and delicate midrange is certainly a good thing, and it seems that the RTi4 does that pretty well...hard to say about the other models.  At $150 a pair it seems like a pretty good deal.

Hm. RTi4. Maybe that. Keep in mind, the Monitor 40 I'm talking about is the Monitor40 Series II, which appears to be different than the standard Monitor 40 (physically, at least). If someone could tell me whether or not the Series II and the original are different aside from their appearance, I'd appreciate it.

But given that Stereophile review, maybe I will just go with that. The pair, with the Lepai, with wire and stuff, would come to under $200 so that's not bad. 

So perhaps the RTi4, but if someone could tell me about the difference between Monitor40 and Monitor40 Series II, I'd appreciate it as I haven't totally discounted that one.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 51
Oh and if someone could tell me if the Monitor30 Series II would be really inferior to the other two, just thinking in the event I wind up not having quite enough money for the higher end set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back