I'm taking my HF1 to work...and need advice
Jun 12, 2006 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
So i got a boring summer job (yey)... but there is one very good thing about it..., they let me listen to music while at work....in fact most people there have ipods, mp3 players and radios...no speakers though... meaning i have to get good headphones
very_evil_smiley.gif

But instead of spending alot of money one some work headphones i thought i might use some older thing i have lying around the house...say my Grado HF-1
wink.gif

right now my opitons would have me running the HF1 out of my ipod...which has poor headphone out.... Although i don't need anymore power, i would like a decent sounds comming out of it, thus i'm wondering if any of you have ideas about what portable headphone amps synergyze well with the HF1.
Thankyou.

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 29
I wouldnt take it unless you can lock it in a drawer at night.

KSC75 or radio shack Pro35A would be a better choice IMHO. The janitors at my workplace are freikin thieves.

I really like my govibe 2 OPA2227with my all my grados. Its a pretty neutral and open sounding amp that seems to add depth at the ends of the spectrum. Where Grado SR series cans tend to drop off IMHO.

For ~$100 you can get a pint kit. The best battery powered amp I have ever heard with my Grados.

Garrett

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I wouldnt take it unless you can lock it in a drawer at night.

It's lasted this long in his house, why start locking it up now?

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 29
Both tighten up their control (esp. bass) when paired with the PA2V2. The KSC75 really benifits from it. Wider soundstage, tighter bass, more controlled highs...

That reminds me, I gotta mod it this week
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 29
depending on what i feel like bringing to work, i usually have hd650, rs1 or hf1 hanging on the wall of my cube. it's in an inconspicuous spot so passerbys won't notice them. our janitors at work are pretty good. we haven't had any issues with theft for a while now. i always have my ksc75 laying around and they've not been tampered with at all. if you're not sure of the safety of the environment, i'd say bring something that won't matter if they're stolen, like the ksc75.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.

Honestly that is a silly question. Most office environments have a lot of traffic and fancy items can and do walk away.
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 29
What's fancy to us isn't fancy to others. Most people won't even know/recognize the worth of Grado HF-1's. Most people just think they look vintage.

Haha, funny story. Back when the KSC-75's were on sale for $10 at Radio Shack, my coworker bought 1 and left it on his desk, and someone stole it. Meanwhile both my Senn HD25-1 and Grado SR225 (and Joe Grado SR100) are both sitting on my desk in open view, and they've never been taken. I guess the KSC-75s look more modern and appealing.

Tee hee. I feel bad for him, but oh well, it's just $10.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
Honestly that is a silly question. Most office environments have a lot of traffic and fancy items can and do walk away.
tongue.gif

I guess I missed where in his post he said he'd be leaving them at his workplace.

Me and my silly questions.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.

So it doesn't get stolen...

You can't really compare it being out in your house to being out in an office environment. For someone to get to the headphones in they'd either have to know you or they'd have to break in. To get them from your desk, they just have to walk up, grab them, and walk away. If you don't fancy having to replace your very expensive headphones, lock them up.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 29
the work that i do basically means that i'll take it in when i come into work and have it on all day... i doubt i'll get stolen so long as i don't leave it in the cube or the refrigerator or something like that.
obviously i can't use my IEMs since my boss sometimes comes in and starts talking to me.
I'm wondering how the airhead does with it... and anyone know on hte status of the Mini Cubed yet?
more suggestions welcome..thanks...
PS: I'll look into the KSC75.... but if i do go for something cheap like that, i might as well just use my old PX100s
PS: and the Govibe 2 and P2v2.....

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
You don't go to the toilet?
wink.gif

who says you can't have headphones on while you're on the can?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back