I'm taking my HF1 to work...and need advice
Jun 13, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
who says you can't have headphones on while you're on the can?
wink.gif

having cans on while you're on the can is a superb idea

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
who says you can't have headphones on while you're on the can?
wink.gif

Note to self Double check the usage of the headphones before buying from Firestarter. Just kidding
icon10.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 29
Can never be too cautious with audio items at work whether you think if others around you will think it's worth something or not. I've had $5 crap headphones stolen right off my desk at one firm I was working at and this was just leaving them on my desk to go out on my lunch break. Some people don't care how much an audio item is worth as long as it's free for the taking. Always secure your gear or take them with you, better safe than sorry.

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
What's fancy to us isn't fancy to others. Most people won't even know/recognize the worth of Grado HF-1's. Most people just think they look vintage.

Haha, funny story. Back when the KSC-75's were on sale for $10 at Radio Shack, my coworker bought 1 and left it on his desk, and someone stole it. Meanwhile both my Senn HD25-1 and Grado SR225 (and Joe Grado SR100) are both sitting on my desk in open view, and they've never been taken. I guess the KSC-75s look more modern and appealing.

Tee hee. I feel bad for him, but oh well, it's just $10.

I wish I had that luck,
back almost 2 years ago, up at Mayo Clinic in the "secure" parking deck, my custom case, HP1000's and Joe G amp, along with my Melos SHA1 amp, D-555 (mine original),and cardas interconnects were taken out the trunk (hidden too)

My Koss K35's were in open view in trunk, but the thieves had great taste that day, or were not Koss fans
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad about your buddy's cans though, hope they turn up..what is up Chinchy?!

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 29
Today i used the IEMs....they were fine, but they lacked the gloriousness of a great sounding sennheiser or the addictiveness of my HF1.... and since i am listening 8 hours a day.... i'm starting to lean towards the Sure E5000...or some portable amp that can power the HD650....

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I wish I had that luck,
back almost 2 years ago, up at Mayo Clinic in the "secure" parking deck, my custom case, HP1000's and Joe G amp, along with my Melos SHA1 amp, D-555 (mine original),and cardas interconnects were taken out the trunk (hidden too)

My Koss K35's were in open view in trunk, but the thieves had great taste that day, or were not Koss fans
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad about your buddy's cans though, hope they turn up..what is up Chinchy?!

Okay I'll clue you in on the secret. The more hidden and unaccessible something is, the more someone figures that it's worth a lot. I mean really, if given a choice of a locked drawer and an unlocked drawer, which are you going to try to get into?

For that reason, I never keep any of my stuff locked up. I just leave everything out on my desk as if it's worthless. And people just assume that it is. I leave everything at work unlocked. I even leave my checks in my drawer. With the key in the lock. and the lock unlocked. And I've never had any of my stuff stolen...

I guess it also helps that I'm really messy so my desk looks like a cyclone just started throwing crap all over the place. When in doubt, I just place a pad of paper over my stuff, and it blends in with the rest of the junk.

Works for me! But your mileage my vary (YMMV)...

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Today i used the IEMs....they were fine, but they lacked the gloriousness of a great sounding sennheiser or the addictiveness of my HF1.... and since i am listening 8 hours a day.... i'm starting to lean towards the Sure E5000...or some portable amp that can power the HD650....

Well, clearly the Super fi 5 pros are no match to the HF-1s. The shure E500s are nice, but if you're going to drive them directly out of your ipod the static will most likely drive you mad. You may still want to use a line-out to an amp.

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #24 of 29
nevermind...just saw the release date for the new Shure...too long for this occasion, summer would be half over by then.
back to searching for amps that can power an HF1 or a HD595 (120ohm) or HD650.

or something that can add real bass to the KSC75.... or clarity to the PX100

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
The shure E500s are nice, but if you're going to drive them directly out of your ipod the static will most likely drive you mad. You may still want to use a line-out to an amp.

I didn't notice any static when using my Shure E4 or tested E500 with my Nano. This must be exclusive to hard drive based models?

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
nevermind...just saw the release date for the new Shure...too long for this occasion, summer would be half over by then.
back to searching for amps that can power an HF1 or a HD595 (120ohm) or HD650.

or something that can add real bass to the KSC75.... or clarity to the PX100

Get the new Supemacro IV, with switches. The bass boost and the Xin Cross are very welcome additions. Currently my Supermacro III Version 6 is driving my HD600.

Jun 14, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Get the new Supemacro IV, with switches. The bass boost and the Xin Cross are very welcome additions. Currently my Supermacro III Version 6 is driving my HD600.

Thanks... i was looking into that one earlier but couldn't figure out how to purchase one.

Update: i took it in today to work... my boss came in and started asking me about them. "Those are some big headphones David, looks like you work at a radio station." "(laughing), yea, they're pretty big." her: "Where are they from" me: "A small headphone maker in New York, they hand make these and only 480ish were ever produced." her: "wow, did they cost alot" me: "yea, around 200." her: "Bose, you know bose." me: "yea" her: "yea, my son keeps telling me to get an ipod...i bought him some bose headphones...they cost me 300 dollars, but they sound amazing (goes into a long conversation about how great bose is and how her wave radio, and ipod dock sound spectacular). I just nood and smile until she lets me get back to work....
otherwise a good day for the HF1 at work.
580smile.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
f you're not sure of the safety of the environment, i'd say bring something that won't matter if they're stolen, like the ksc75.

You could stick on a fluorescant orange or lime green sticker that says

"WARNING: HF-1 serial #s tracked closely. if you touch these, minimum 12 irate Head-fi'ers will react expeditiously."

or something like that
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back