I'm sure it's a stupid question but...
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

noxa

500+ Head-Fier
Just a quick simple question, if i use very bassy cans out of my ipod they lack bass compared to the computer, is it a lack of power or is the issue the source is simply less bass? In the same vein if a very neutral amp with enough power to fully drive the headphones was paired with the very bassy cans would the natural bass output be reached or would the amp's neutrality to the source restrict the bass output?

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Just a quick simple question, if i use very bassy cans out of my ipod they lack bass compared to the computer, is it a lack of power or is the issue the source is simply less bass? In the same vein if a very neutral amp with enough power to fully drive the headphones was paired with the very bassy cans would the natural bass output be reached or would the amp's neutrality to the source restrict the bass output?

What headphones are they?
Does the computer have an add-on sound card? (I'm guessing no).

I might guess the computer's headphone output jack has a higher impedance then the iPods's headphone output.
So the computer might be giving the headphones a bloated bass (louder, less detail).
A good headphone amplifier (with a low impedance) should give the bass better detail.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Your very bassy can colors everything that goes into it in that direction.  However, everything in your audio chain is a player with regard to what sound finally reaches your ears. 

On board computer audio is typically very poor and often has low power, perhaps not enough to properly drive you can.

Without the specifics of each piece of equipment in your audio chain(s) (and a workking knowledge of each), that's about as far as we can go.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Most laptop's have an internal audio software that comes with the built in DAC. They usually boost the bass and highs to create a V shaped sound signature. This may not be the case with you, but it is with mine and I fixed this by disabling it and getting a Schiit Modi (external USB DAC)

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the help The laptop is an Alienware M14x and the headphones are Ultrasone signature DJ. I'm really looking to get the bass output i recieve when the laptop is the source but the cleaness of the ipod mini.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Look into the FiiO E17. Plugged up to your computer via USB, you should get a very clean sound and you use its bass boost. Then you could use the headphone amp portion of it it to boost the bass and volume on your ipod.

Besides, with all those nice headphones you have, 'bout time you got a DAC/amp if you don't have one already :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back