im starting to get the feeling that head fi is mostly dudes..
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #46 of 76
Women like music too but they generally don't sweat details. Plus, aside from detail, what separates "audiophile" from "music lover" is the attention paid to hardware, which is common to all male hobbies: guns and other weapons, fast bikes and fast cars, audio, crafts (women into crafts don't typically hang out and marvel at teh next thing Sear's or Stanley came up with), cooking (same as last example...guys pay more attention to their BBQ grill than women their pots and pans.) Even male-centric literature takes gear into account: ours have things like Battlecruisers and Beam Rifles and YGF-X-whatever jets turning into robots; women's literature, or male literature that women read, aren't too big on the technicalities. For one, look at the movies based on Tolkien and CS Lawis: I haven't heard a woman comment on how their tactics resemble Germanic barbarians more than Teutonic Knights or Roman infantry or whatever. (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe was the most horrid and unrealistic...whatever happened to having cavalry outflanking the enemy infantry?!)

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #47 of 76

Quote:
The 13 year old girl thing, of course, refers to the infamous post here on Head-Fi where a 13 year old ended up with a pair of HD650 donated by a very kind Head-Fi'er.

Well, I'm a 13-year-old girl and I have a twin sister. Anyone want to help us out? 

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #48 of 76
I do, send me your gear. I will try it, analyze it and then give you advices what to buy next to become a real head-fier. I will also help you to learn the prudence. All for free, just send me all of your head-fi gear for inspection. Deal, baby?

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #49 of 76

Quote:
Women like music too but they generally don't sweat details. Plus, aside from detail, what separates "audiophile" from "music lover" is the attention paid to hardware, which is common to all male hobbies: guns and other weapons, fast bikes and fast cars, audio, crafts (women into crafts don't typically hang out and marvel at teh next thing Sear's or Stanley came up with), cooking (same as last example...guys pay more attention to their BBQ grill than women their pots and pans.) Even male-centric literature takes gear into account: ours have things like Battlecruisers and Beam Rifles and YGF-X-whatever jets turning into robots; women's literature, or male literature that women read, aren't too big on the technicalities. For one, look at the movies based on Tolkien and CS Lawis: I haven't heard a woman comment on how their tactics resemble Germanic barbarians more than Teutonic Knights or Roman infantry or whatever. (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe was the most horrid and unrealistic...whatever happened to having cavalry outflanking the enemy infantry?!)

Explain to me the obsession of women with shoes then. Or clothes... 

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #51 of 76
When you find a geek girl who likes you, you have got to make it work and hold on to her. Doesn't have to be headphones, but it needs to be *some*thing. Foodie, audio, indie music, musicianship, sportbikes, sports, craft beer, video games, science, science fiction, programming, day trading, politics... there needs to be something the other studies in fanatical detail or we're not going to understand each other.

It's the people who aren't fanatical about *anything* who scare me.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #52 of 76

Quote:
I do, send me your gear. I will try it, analyze it and then give you advices what to buy next to become a real head-fier. I will also help you to learn the prudence. All for free, just send me all of your head-fi gear for inspection. Deal, baby?

To Russia? I think not!

And I'm telling my sister on you too. Learn the prudence indeed!

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #54 of 76
Even the guys I know in real life think I am nuts for having 5 DAPs and 5 sets of 'phones....so I think I would keel over in a dead faint if a girl expressed interest.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #55 of 76

Quote:
Quote:

Shoes and clothes don't have technical specifications like horsepower@rpm, torque, rms power output, power to weight ratio, gear and final drive ratios, current, voltage, digital compression and resolution in bits, oversampling, jitter...I could go on and on on this...but compare that to Project Runway where it's mostly artistic perception. Audio has a lot of that too but the technical side of it is not the same as the technical side to shoes and clothes. Carrie Bradshaw isn't exactly an expert in the same things as Mr.Spock, but they're both experts.

And it's not a question of ability either. Where I'm from, women get higher grades in math than menup until college; but you go into engineering schools and science schools and with the exception of med schools, they are without a doubt male-dominated. It's preference and socialization, not ability. Which means a significant number still breaks the mold, but the thing is, there is still a mold.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #56 of 76
the reason why there are no women on these forums, is the same for anywhere else on the internet...

They are in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. That is a woman's dream.

(off color humor, but I couldn't resist)
i dont think that way btw

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #57 of 76

Quote:
the reason why there are no women on these forums, is the same for anywhere else on the internet...

They are in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. That is a woman's dream.

(off color humor, but I couldn't resist)
i dont think that way btw

Come on!

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #58 of 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shoes and clothes don't have technical specifications like horsepower@rpm, torque, rms power output, power to weight ratio, gear and final drive ratios, current, voltage, digital compression and resolution in bits, oversampling, jitter...I could go on and on on this...but compare that to Project Runway where it's mostly artistic perception. Audio has a lot of that too but the technical side of it is not the same as the technical side to shoes and clothes. Carrie Bradshaw isn't exactly an expert in the same things as Mr.Spock, but they're both experts.

And it's not a question of ability either. Where I'm from, women get higher grades in math than menup until college; but you go into engineering schools and science schools and with the exception of med schools, they are without a doubt male-dominated. It's preference and socialization, not ability. Which means a significant number still breaks the mold, but the thing is, there is still a mold.

Wonder if shoes with technical specifications you'd state will appeal to guys... 

Strange that you mention science schools. I work in the science industry all my life, and I'm always working in female dominated environment. Heck! I'd yet to have a male boss yet! Then again, environmental science does appeal to female more I guess... :p

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #60 of 76

Do you really think all women are obsessed with shoes and clothes that much?  You need to get out more, expand your horizons 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back