I'm sorry for your wallet
Aug 17, 2005 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Edil

Head-Fier
There are a lot of people telling new members; "we are sorry for your wallet". But how high can you really go purchasing headphones and related equipment?. When i went to www.avsforum.com I was expecting to receive suggrstions to buy a system for $1,500 tops!. I ended up spending:

$4,200 in speakers
$5,375 in electronic equipment
$1,000 in cabling and other miscellaneous accesories
--------
$10,575 Total

And I'm not counting all the money spent in DVDs and CDs. To give you an idea I get the entire collection of Johan Sebastian Bach works for $800.

Can I really top that with headphone equipment?

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 15
Yes. Sennheiser HE90 + HEV90. End of the road, also end of your $14000.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 15
The other thing is one of scale... People are often looking to replace $35 headphones. And so they're looking for maybe $100. It creeps up fast. I came here looking to replace my Sony MDR-V6s that had just died. Figured I'd get an inexpensive amp and a decent closed pair of cans and be done.

Well...I'm over $2k already...

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Yes. Sennheiser HE90 + HEV90. End of the road, also end of your $14000.
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and don't forget a source (another 6-7K?), cables (IC's and power), power conditioning, and hell...let's toss in a nice audio rack too!

Whoops, I think I almost doubled that 14K
eek.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Oh yeah, and don't forget a source (another 6-7K?), cables (IC's and power), power conditioning, and hell...let's toss in a nice audio rack too!

Whoops, I think I almost doubled that 14K
eek.gif

I bet he already has a good source, power conditioning, and cables in his speaker rig. But those $17k ICs wouldn't be a bad addition
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 15
Then I went to the guitarsalon.com forums. I was expecting to buy a decent spanish classical guitar for $500 I ended spending $5,000. I think it will good for me if get out of here and wipe the cache and history of my web browser.

Is really necessary to purchase separate equipment for headphones when you already have good audio electronic equipment? At least they have that headphone plug that I can use. This could be a good thread.

How many of you have spent $10,000+ in big speakers/audio equipment and $10,000+ in headphone audio equipment?

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 15
A lot of people here have spent far more than that Edil. One member has something like 37K records, if they cost something around 10 dollars a pop thats 370,000 on records. Another guy spent 12 grand on a transport dedicated to headphone use only. There are also a bunch of people who have more than one system.

edit: You would think someone in college would be able to spell...

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
A lot of people here have spent far more than that Edil. One member has something like 37K records, if they cost something around 10 dollars a pop thats 370,000 on records. Another guy spent 12 grand on a transport dedicated to headphone use only. There are also a bunch of people who have more than one system.

edit: You would think someone in college would be able to spell...

I'm sure not a LOT.... a number, but not a lot. I would say perhaps less than 1% of the headfi population are psychotic to that end of spending 10G+.... hehehe...

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edil
There are a lot of people telling new members; "we are sorry for your wallet". But how high can you really go purchasing headphones and related equipment?

New Model Army, paraphrased: Don't ask questions, you don't want to know the answers to...

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
It's only money.

This is true.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 15
With the popularity of equity lines, where it's not atypical seeing $50k kitchen renovations and $20k home theatres... is it really a big deal to spend in the thousands for headphones? If you're a music lover and they see good use, hey why not. (I should shut up now since I primarily listen to $200 A900s).

My guitar/amp collection totals somewhere in the $15k range, and much of it is used. Of course I've taken about 15 years to build it to this point and I'll probably be selling most of it soon. But for instance I spent a good deal of money I made from my summer job at 18 saving up for a $2k Matchless Amp. That's kinda crazy I like to think, a certain amount of passion went into that purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back