I'm ready to venture into the realm of full size cans.
Dec 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to spend around the $300 mark. This should include any necessary amplifiers (I would like a very small amp though). I will primarily be listening to rock, but will also listen to all the other genres except rap and country. I also need them to block out outside noise ( not just steady noise like an airplane but talking, screaming, etc.) Suggestions? THANKS
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 10
Almost all "full size" cans are just that. Full size! You wont find anything that small that needs an amp other than the Sennheiser HD-25-II

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 10
ps. I don't want them to be huge on my head. Post a picture of the can (on someones head) if you suggest it. I would also like it if the phone didn't leak noise but that isn't a very big factor. Thanks again.

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The denon d2000 come to mind, but they are 269, and need an amp to sound there best.

Can you post a picture of them on somone's head? THANKS

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 10
The Denons are full-sized headphones, and look like full-sized headphones on your head. I don't have a pic with a head in it, but here:

2007428134769.jpg

You might want to try something like the ATH-ESW9:

audio_technica_headphones.jpg

Since they are designed for portable use, they can probably be used without an amp, but sound better with one. I haven't heard them yet, but ordered a pair and am hoping for them at the end of the week. There are a couple review threads around here on them, so do a search. I remember one has pictures of a member wearing them.

Both the Denons and the Audio Technicas will run you about $300 with shipping. There aren't too many options in the closed smallish headphone ranges with good sq. The ESW9s are pretty small. The Denons are not small, but a lot of people like them. I've not heard the ATs, but have read enough to want to check them out. Do some more research (use the search function) on anything anyone recommends. That way you'll have a better shot at finding something that makes your ears happy. Good luck

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Jecklin Floats.
smily_headphones1.gif

It might go unsaid most of the time, but people at Head-Fi take geeky pride in headphone nonconformity to the rest of the world.

That being said, go get the Sony MDR-V6. $50-$60 and it fits your bill. Most everything else requires an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back