I'm picky with trance
Apr 22, 2007 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Viperx116

New Head-Fier
It's really hard to find the kind of trance that I want. I like the type with a consistent beat and not the type that's all over the place. I like the beat to be somewhat unique; it's hard for me to explain. Sometimes when I listen to different songs, they sound exactly the same. Here are some specific examples of what I like:

Dj Tiesto - Endless Wave
Mental Madness Allstars - The Anthem
2 Vibez - Always
Chicane - Overlap
Chicane - No Ordinary Morning
Chicane - Autumn Tactics
Lenny "Linus Douglas - Import Jams Theme

I also love all the songs by Rollergirl, no idea what genre it is though. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 19
Have you ever checked out any psychedelic trance? Most of it is pretty deep and has a nice melodic sound. Check out some old Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Protoculture, Astrix, Fitali, Alien Project, Astral Projection, Talpa, Electric Universe...I could go on naming em, its my favorite kind of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 19
Theoretically regular trance always has a consistent beat. If it doesn't its not really trance.

Try stuff on the Platipus label. Probably some of the most consistently high quality trance.
Early Platipus was more melodic and "ordinary" which might be what you are lookin for. Current stuff is more progressive but really they have a mix comercial catchy ones, and more serious ones.
They also have a Platipus Euro label that is straight melodic pop trance.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 19
I don't know if this fits, but I've always been a big fan of the Sasha & John Digweed collaborations (Northern Exposure) and by extension, John Digweed, who I'd describe as quite trance-y.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 19
sounds like you're not keen on breakbeat trance. i like it sometimes, so long as it doesn't get over the top, like some jazz can.

true, some of the old platipus stuff is real smooth trance, like the 'union jack' stuff.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 19
In the last couple of years I've become a huge HUGE trance head! I kinda don't like it this way though because I've neglected my beloved 80's British Synthpop genre for a long time and fear that trance may take over that position as being my number one favorite genre of all time.

Anyway here are my picks. You guys need to REALLY hunt these down!

1)Orbital - Belfast(Leama Moore Remix)

2)Latigidi - Full It's Time (Antidote's Electrified Remix)

3)Der Dritte Raum - Hale Bopp (Jackdaw Mix By Nick Warren & Starecase)<-----very rare and hard to find but nothing messes with this....NOTHING!!!!!!

4)Damien Heck & Stephanie Vezina - Aural Signature

5)Nikola Gala - Subterra Original_Mix

6)Esdeto feat. Legolath - So Real (Greed Vs. Mercurio Dub)

7)Punk Kids - The Chocolate_Room

8)Alex Stealthy - Being (Evrydaydowners Remix)

9)Dave Gahan - I Need You (G&D Unplugged)

10)Dominic Plaza - Sounds Rushing (David West Remix)<----- One of my FAVORITE trance cuts of all time

As for DJs you guys need to check out some of Johnny Monsoon's ****. Especially Johnny Monsoon - My Essential and Johnny Monsoon - Progressive...two of the best mixes I've ever heard in my LIFE! Puts all of Orbitals **** to shame and surpasses even quite a bit of Sasha's ****.

Then hunt down some of Jordy's mixes. Get ALL of his Full Moon Sessions especially FMS 1, 5, 6 DEFINITELY 8! Full Moon Session 6 and 8....OH MY GOD don't get me started on these two...

Grab Glen Okada's **** too, especially Lost in Translation and Organic.

And finally.....finally my friends.... if you don't already own Global Underground #28: Shanghai by DJ Nick Warren, then you need to buy this 2-disc set like, YESTERDAY! Seriously you WILL thank me later for this suggestion! It's one of the most beautifully put together mixes I have ever heard, especially disc-1 which is the pure definition of flawless!

May 25, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Thirded on the Infected Mushroom recommendation.

Also recommend Orbital, although they have such a diverse catalog that you have to look through a bit to find something that suits you.

Oh, and there's an obscure group called The Egg that I recommend as remarkably trans-genre good. Album is called Albumen.

May 26, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Late Night Alumni
Mr. Sam
iiO
Andain
Way Out West
Kirsty Hawkshaw
ATB
Sarah McLachlan (Remix)
Conjure One
Delerium
Foggy