I'm officially Mid-Fi!
Apr 11, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAY
mad.gif

the HD580 ViseGripBot is not mid-fi! It's hi-fi!

x3. Especially with the amp and card. There's no point in considering a top dynamic model from a decade ago 'mid-fi', especially when the two successor models are really just tweaks on the same design. You're on the cheap end of hifi, my friend.

What ericj was mentioning is something completely different: that vintage fiends and oddity collectors are snobbish about being mid-fi. They (well, me too) delight in showing a hifi person some obscure headphone they found for $5 that can smoke his K701/HD650/etc., at least in some part of the sound spectrum. Forget that the $5 ones are falling apart and required new earpads and hours of DIY modding to sound good at all.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #32 of 42
Congratulations! The HD580 is a very good headphone indeed, competing with others which are two or three times more expensive.

I'm just curious about one thing: How does the HD497 sound relative to the HD580? Like Chingyul, I too skipped the HD497 and went straight for the HD555.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #33 of 42
Mid-Fi is a good place to be! Lots of great tunes without the Hi-Fi expectations or potential disappointments!

Gotta luv it!

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 42
Well I categorized my set up as mid-fi because honestly when I joined the forums and started to see all these $3k++ setups I assumed that any set up below $1000 was to be defined as "mid-fi". And really I have no problem seeing it as mid-fi because honestly the jump from my old setup to this one is eargasmic.

And frankly I picked the 580's not because they were the best that I could afford, but because it seemed (to me at least) that they were the "benchmark". Sort of like how the BMW 5 series is "the benchmark" for the sport sedan. It's the one most people point to as the proverbial bang for buck crowd pleaser. Sure there are a lot better, but for the price point, the performance is amazing. And that's why I bought them; to have them as a starting point to compare to the others that come after it.

And to sum it up those are my thoughts on the 580's in a nice little paragraph.

580smile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 42
Congrats ! Enjoy it while it lasts ! :wink:

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #37 of 42
Damn, i think I might have to get this setup. I was originally thinking HD 595+ iBasso T1, but 580 and P1 with that awesome mini to mini might be a better choice. It ends up being cheaper too.

I would return the Fatal1ty if i were you though. You only need stereo sound, and the Chaintech AV710 does that perfectly for much much less.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upgrade Anyone?
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

I have to say... this was me before with my unamped HD497's
frown.gif

This is me now with my iBasso amped 580's
580smile.gif

I immediately set up the amp and hooked it up to my X-Fi. I then kooed up the 580's and proceeded to fire up winamp and clicked play on Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (Headbanging ensues). I then proceeded to have an ear orgasm. That is all I have to say.

Oh and TYVM Head-Fi!
580smile.gif

Nice cans..
wink.gif
I still consider my cans Mid Fi, cause to me Hi Fi means headphones like the AKG1000/L3000/Edition 9's/GS-1000/R10/HE60/HE90/Omega 2's & around 4-5 more..

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 42
Funny, most people would consider Bose to be hi-fi.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I categorized my set up as mid-fi because honestly when I joined the forums and started to see all these $3k++ setups I assumed that any set up below $1000 was to be defined as "mid-fi". And really I have no problem seeing it as mid-fi because honestly the jump from my old setup to this one is eargasmic.

And frankly I picked the 580's not because they were the best that I could afford, but because it seemed (to me at least) that they were the "benchmark". Sort of like how the BMW 5 series is "the benchmark" for the sport sedan. It's the one most people point to as the proverbial bang for buck crowd pleaser. Sure there are a lot better, but for the price point, the performance is amazing. And that's why I bought them; to have them as a starting point to compare to the others that come after it.

And to sum it up those are my thoughts on the 580's in a nice little paragraph.

580smile.gif

It's not about the money.. I spent over 2 grand & think of my set up as mid fi or entry level into Hi Fi. If my set up is Hi Fi then there must be an ultra Hi Fi..

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #42 of 42
voltage says: Input 100~240v on the wall wart. I'm not using it much for on the go right now, so I just leave it plugged in. The manual says you can leave it with the charger plugged in and it won't blow up :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back