I'm not rich and not a big spender; I am just an audiophile!!!
Jul 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shamankl

New Head-Fier
Yesterday our living room flat screen broke and my mom was watching the one in the master room. My  dad wanted to watch the olympics and came to my room to use my tv (i dont have one...lol). He looks at me and says where is your tv. I told him i never bought one. He looks at me like "What is wrong with you?" then starts complaing of how I  spend too much money on computers, headphones, tennis rackets, and  fountain pens (he really wants his olympics). I tell him how I spent only as much as all his tv on my t1 and hd650; thats why i dont have money for one."I am not rich and not a big spender; I am an audiophile."

Then I ask him if he wants to watch the olympics on my "computer." He happily agrees and says that if the computer was a substitute for a tv my other spendings aren't so bad since "I have my need already." (Wat! All i need is music!!!)
beyersmile.png

Anyone with a similar experience?

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Well I don't have a TV either. I have a 30 inch dell 3007 I use for watching movies once in a while and a BenQ gaming monitor for everything else. My uncle offered me a TV and I'm like "I don't watch TV man and I don't have room for it, sorry lol".

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I live in Taiwan, but when I went back to visit America one time, they shut my cable TV off without warning.  When I asked them what the problem was, they said I never paid the bill (which they never sent, but this was not their fault, right?), and I would have to pay triple the normal price to turn it back on.  Being the stubborn person that I am, I refused to pay such an outrageous amount for their error.  I thought I might miss cable TV, but I really don't.  Two years later and I haven't once thought about sucking it up and paying to have TV again.

My money is all spent on photography ($$$$$) and now I added another expensive hobby, music ($$$$$).  This is me, being sad 
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Edit:  And one for you photographers out there "Wow, your camera takes great pictures!"  Either you understand the frustration, or you don't...

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Heres one

Other Person: How could you spent so much on headphones (Denon D2000, and now Denon D7000)

I take them out, plug them into my phone (HTC HD2 + Android + Neutron NEON 64bit)
Me: "this is only a small portion of what they can do, they need an amp, but listen" 

Other Person: "@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(&^%$#"

Me: "Oh yeah"

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 10
HAHA funny comment Shaman and Weird.
Me myself  don`t own a Tv ,which i use just to watch Soccer,F1 and Movies,the rest out the little box (today probably the similarity of a box is pretty non existent) is hypnotic BS.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I thought I might miss cable TV, but I really don't.  Two years later and I haven't once thought about sucking it up and paying to have TV again.

Lately, I've very much been debating cutting off my cable entirely, and just do what little tv watching I do via hulu+ and netflix.  I use both already, occasionally buy shows on itunes, so the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted just not to bother paying extra for something I hardly ever use.

I would like to say I'm an audiophile, but nope, I'm not.  I haven't spent the time, energy and money to get to say that.  But it hurts my head to see people spend a ton of money on a high def TV so they can "truly experience" the video, but use horrid headphones for their music.  Not upgrading speakers in the home and car I can understand, it gets real expensive real quick.  But you can get some really enjoyable headphones for pretty cheap.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
i think audiophile just means music enthusiast, money and gear doesnt really count against you (think car enthusiastwith honda civic)

whatever floats your boat and turns your nipples.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
"Why'd you spend $400 on headphones?!"

"The exact same reason you spent a grand on a bicycle."

Discussion with a BMX enthusiast-friend. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back