I'm not doing my GS-1000s any justice... help!
Nov 28, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 48
Hmm, I've spent some time thinking about it, and I'm not sure that I'm ready to spend £2200 on one piece of equipment yet, the Earmax Silver Edition is probably the most I'm prepared to spend on an amp right now.

I see that the EAR HP4 is said to have at least 10,000 hours on the valves, what should I expect from the Earmax? I would assume less from the way it's described, and even 10,000 doesn't sound like a lot if it's going to be expensive to replace the valves every few years. I'm wondering if I'm maybe best to go with the RA-1 just now if I can get it cheap, as solid-state should last a lot longer (shouldn't it?) and then maybe upgrade to the EAR HP4 later. It seems like it would be a waste to buy that when my main source is currently an iPod. (I know I'd still have money left from buying the HP4, but I'd be apprehensive on spending even more right away)

I have been considering selling my stereo speaker setup (at least £1500 worth of equipment, when new) as I prefer to use headphones, so perhaps once that's all sold I'll pick one up, I've already had interest in my subwoofer.

What is the most important component to spend your money on though? I would have thought the headphones themselves and then the source, but it seems that maybe I should be thinking of spending more on the amp? I've still got time to return the GS-1000s if my money could be better spent, but I do love the sound from them already, so I'd rather not.

When you mention that the EAR has inputs for low and high impedance headphones, what would be considered high? I know the Grados are very low at 32 ohms, but would something like the AKG K1000s be counted as high at 120? (I know that's nothing compared to Sennheiser HD-650s at 300 for example) Just thinking ahead, as I see a lot of people here have different headphones for different types of music, so I could hook them both up. (if I were to get them, or wanted to switch)

I do have a couple of slight concerns about the actual headphones now though.

Firstly, the "Y" join for the cable doesn't seem all that sturdy:

They haven't been pulled/twisted in any way, I've been very careful with these.

I had this on my first pair of SR-80s too, and one side eventually stopped working after a year or so of use. (was replaced under warranty) My replacement SR-80s seem better than this, but is that normal / acceptable on GS-1000s?

My other slight concern is just that the wood used seems a lot darker compared to the photos on the Grado website:

I assume this is just due to variation in the wood used?

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have a couple of slight concerns about the actual headphones now though.
Firstly, the "Y" join for the cable doesn't seem all that sturdy:
is that normal / acceptable on GS-1000s?

All Grado's look like that at the "Y."

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewfee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My other slight concern is just that the wood used seems a lot darker compared to the photos on the Grado website:
I assume this is just due to variation in the wood used?

The difference could be due to variations in the stain used. However, it is most likely due to differences in lighting and/or exposure of the pictures. Yours looks a little underexposed. If you use the "curves" tool in Photoshop on your photo, I bet it will look more similar to the one shown on Grado's website.

Enjoy your new cans!

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #18 of 48
Although I've owned Grado RS1 and SR325 (and sold them), I really want to get a pair of GS1000. I have owned the Grado RA1 amp, along with Creek OHB11SE, Antique Sound Labs OTL Mk 1, Mk2, and Mk3 tubed headphone amps, as well as the Sugden Headmaster and I prefer the sound of the Sugden Headmaster. I especially appreciate it's robust build quality and three inputs, a Record Out output, as well as a volume-controlled set of outputs so you can use it as a preamp in your main system. I'd buy a second Sugden if I had the money right now. It works well with high and low impedance headphones, too, and is quiet as a church mouse and sounds as close to tubes as you can get but without any hint of microphonics. The little Grado RA1 amp is okay since it's battery-powered, very portable and quiet, but does not warm the sound like some other amps can, plus it has "Grado" written on the front to imply synergy (at least in looks). The RA1 won't break the bank, at least, but you might find something like the Sugden more of an investment for multiple sources.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 48
10 000 hours for tubes = LOTS of time. How often do you listen? 10 000 hours = 1.2 years of SOLID listening, that means 24 hours a day. Figure 8 hours a day for a really active listening and you are now up to around 3.5 years. A typical quad of 6sl7s is about 50 bucks, maybe 100 if you want to get into premium tubes, but if you go stock you are under 50 bucks. So at 8 hours a day...or replacing tubes every 3.5 years you are looking at 14 bucks a year, or less than £7/year. Not bad huh?

Power tubes like those typically used in SETs (2a3's, 300b's, 805's etc.) they are in the 3000-4000 hour range, so you you can immediately recognize 10 000 as a great time...but I believe 12au7 and the 6dj8 variety of tubes (6dj8 is what the Earmax uses I think) they are in the 10-25 000 hour range depending on the tube type. You only need three to run it so imagine the possibilities! You can get those as cheap as £1/tube or cheaper, of course the really good ones will run you £50/tube but still, that would be every 4 years, if using the amp 8 hours/day 365/yr.

Honestly, if it were me, and this is exactly how I did do it, I found the phone I thought I would like...then I bought an amp renowned to work well with the headphones but not break the bank (namely the RA-1) and then I bought the best source I could afford. For me I place audio purchases in this priority sequence:

1) tranducers (you don't have to break the bank here because headphones are cheaper than speakers but find the sound you like and buy it and build around it)

2) source (perhaps more important to some than the speaker/headphone but really, if you hate the sonic signature of a transducer, no source/amp combo is going to make that headphone or speaker sound awesome to you, so buy the sound you like first then get a source that offers what you want...smooth sound? super resolving? uber linear? etc.

3) amp (spend enough that you get to drive your headphone superbly well, and if you don't like the sound absolulely, leaving some things to be desired, use cables and tubes as tone controls)

4) tubes
5) cables
6) power related accessories

The RA-1 will work with the GS-1000's and keep you happy for a long time. You can resell it and be very happy with the next amp in the line. However, the RA-1 is the RA-1, you can't tweak the sound much beyond cables. With the Earmax Pro Silver you can fool around with tubes. If anything goes wrong you are in the UK, you ship to Earmax. If something goes wrong with Grado, you go to your dealer if you bought it through them...or you ship to Grado. Have fun with the shipping rates
biggrin.gif

Honestly, I love Grado products, I love the RA-1, I really like how the GS-1000's work with the RA-1, but if I were you, I would stretch the budget just a bit more and go for the Earmax Pro Silver because you are in the UK. It is built like a tank, the tubes are nearly a non-issue, and it will provide everything the RA-1 does (if not, nearly so) and in many cases, it will smoke it (in that relative audio sense
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #20 of 48
Hi Andrew, good to hear you're enjoying the GS1K. I'm in the UK too and was looking at both SS and tube amps (and a new source) to get the best out of the cans.
Because of temporary money contraints I ended up with a HeadFive for now which is very, very good. I'm sure there are better amps out there, many of which are mentioned above.
How about getting a battery powered RA1 for now and trying a tube amp later?
There seem to be some coming up for sale here, in fact a HPA1 has just sold on eBay for £300. An RA1 from a US seller would only cost around £150.
The Sugden Headmaster was mentioned above and IIRC this has a remote for the volume which should make life easier (let's face it it would make life easier for us all!).
I would definately try a Meier amp, judging by what I've heard. The HA2 SE is on sale from Jan at the mo. Email him to get the price.
As for sources, I'm currently scouring the mags and web for some definitive sub-£600 player; there are some very tempting deals (although not the most exotic of hardware). But at the end of the day, it's all about sound. Whether that's achieved by boatloads of cash or fortunate synergy, that's what we all strive for.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #21 of 48
I live in the US but prefer the British sources. I replaced my Creek CD43Mk2 with a CD53 and love it. If I ever upgrade it, it'll be in favor of Arcam's latest FMJ-series CD players. (For analog, I use the Michel Gyrodec SE TT, but use a Magnum Dynalab FM tuner (Canada) and again, love my Sugden Headmaster. Definitely check into the Sugden before you put down any money.)

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 48
The Cyrus 7 Integrated I am sure is great for speakers. I've got a Cyrus 8vs integrated and have sampled the headphone out simply out of curiosity and it is OK at best.

All my other headphone amps leave it for dead. I would say the GS-1k's really do deserve better IMHO.

I am currently enjoying my Sugden Headmaster for use with my RS-1's and 225's. From what I read the GS-1k's are a different beast to your typical Grado but I would say the Sugden is worth consideration.

There is nothing like slipping into bed to relax and listen to a CD and actually having remote control volume. Not the be all and end all I know, but it is kind of nice.

I have listened to Grado's on the Graham Slee Solo with pretty good results. I find it is a bit forward with Grado's and becomes a bit fatiguing. Gives a better extended bass than the Sugden though. The slightly more laid back nature of the Sugden works better in my system, my source tends to be quite forward sounding as well.

From what I read the GS-1k's are a bit more laid back than your average Grado so a slightly more forward sounding amp may not be such a problem.

IMHO the Solo is another cracking amp worthy of consideration that is easily accesible in the UK.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 000 hours for tubes = LOTS of time. How often do you listen? 10 000 hours = 1.2 years of SOLID listening, that means 24 hours a day. Figure 8 hours a day for a really active listening and you are now up to around 3.5 years. A typical quad of 6sl7s is about 50 bucks, maybe 100 if you want to get into premium tubes, but if you go stock you are under 50 bucks. So at 8 hours a day...or replacing tubes every 3.5 years you are looking at 14 bucks a year, or less than £7/year. Not bad huh?

Thanks again - I have no problem going with a valve amp if it's only going to cost that much, this post is what put me off:

Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earmax Silver uses three tubes. It is possible to find all very best three within the price range $300-$1000. All the Earmaxs sound harsh and un-refined with not very "good" tubes.

I didn't realise the RA-1 was battery powered, and if the tubes are as cheap as you say, I'm leaning towards the Earmax Silver again especially as the RA-1 is so overpriced here. If it was equivalent to $350 US, I'd probably just go for it, but $775 is offputting to say the least.

From the way you're praising the EAR HP4, I'm now wondering if I should maybe just wait a bit longer and buy one of them as my first amp, rather than pick up an Earmax and then go through the hassle of selling it, and just focus on getting a good source sorted out just now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing like slipping into bed to relax and listen to a CD and actually having remote control volume. Not the be all and end all I know, but it is kind of nice.

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought about, and I do make a lot of use of that with the Cyrus, as some CDs just seem to have completely different volumes, and none of the volume levelling software I've tried has sounded right.

I suppose I could try to find a source that allows me to adjust the volume there, rather than adjusting the amp.

The Sugden Headmaster (this?) does seem like a good choice, as it has three inputs and a remote, but again, that's getting even more expensive...

Thanks again for all the advice everyone, but it seems that the more I read, the more complex this is getting! It would be so much easier if I could actually get out and demo these somewhere.
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be receiving a Melos SHA-1 (w/upgraded caps and power supply) today that I want to try with the GS-1000s. I'll let you know how it compares. If it weren't for the Melos coming in, I'd get my PPX SLAMed.

I received my Melos SHA-1 last night. I listened to the GS-1000s before even trying my HP-2s. I was hoping the Melos would deliver close to the same level of sound that the PPX did with the GS-1000s, so that I can just use the Melos for everything outside the K-1000. I'm trying to downsize.

Well, I was more than pleasantly suprised. It bettered my PPX in every area. I didn't get a chance to listen for too long (life tends to get in the way), but I was blown away by how effortlessly it controlled the bass. The transparency, layering, and detail were all increased. While listening to the SACD: Shostakovich - Symphony 7 "Leningrad" / Gergiev" which is a torture test for transducers I could hear the air around each instrument. Considering the amount of instruments that were involved, that's an amazing feat. One thing that amazed me was the echo of the final chord of the last movement. The reflection of the sound bouncing off of the walls was so localized and detail, that it was as clear as the chord itself, just softer. I was also blow away by how much the GS-1000 can scale up - either that or the Melos is just that good. As a side note the HP-2/Melos is everything they said it was
wink.gif
. I'll leave it at that.

My point is - the Melos synergizes with the GS-1000 very well to say the least if you are able to find one.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #27 of 48
My only issue with Melos is that they are finicky. Once overhauled and or checked by an expert one should run for a good long time, but most often, these units need a bit of technical love to get them going. Being in the UK, under the circumstances, I would not want to bother. I love them no doubt, and if I had an HP-1000 I would search one out without thinking twice and deal with the QC, but we are talking GS-1000's and they sound fantastic with a good many amps. I just happen to love the HP4 the most.

That said, HP4 is an investment, one that many won't want to take. By that I mean, dropping 4K on an amp is a big chunk of change for most, even if it is the bestest ever
smily_headphones1.gif
The Earmax, is what? £700-750? That is a no brainer. I would go this route first. Try it out. If the Silver is a limited edition, you won't have any troubles reselling.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 48
Here's a wacky thought, if you are handy with a Soldering iron....

The Bottlehead SEX (single ended experimenters) amp. It's about 2watts
per channel and sounds great with a pair of GS1000s....

It's about 400US, and I don't know what shipping would cost. I use one myself and it's quite good. I also have a 300B amp that I use for super serious listening, but the Bottlehead amp is very good. It's a touch on the warm side, but it has a very 3D sound. Also, if you enjoy additional tweaking, you can get better transformers and capacitors later if you want to take it to the next level

www.bottlehead.com

Doc Bottlehead is a great guy too! They might even offer assembled ones, if you don't want to solder.

Good luck on the search.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #29 of 48
Talk about using using sex to sell. Is that his daughter posing in the products page?

I would agree that the GS-1000s respond very well to more power.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk about using using sex to sell. Is that his daughter posing in the products page?

Thats his wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back