I'm Lovin' It? More like I Hate It.
Apr 22, 2004 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone, like myself, started hating Mcdonald's from deep down their guts after seeing their new marketing campaign of all that hip-hop stuff and the line "I'm lovin' it"?

I personally think that they are having an identity crisis (playing with the younger generation's stereotypes and all) right now and trying too hard with their new campaign doesn't help much.

It's about the food, and I don't see any improvements in the Mcdo's down on my street.

Being brought up with the "mentality" that no food is better than Mcdo's, even I have to say I freaking hate them now.

Anyone with me?

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 41
It's about the image now, not the food. With the death of their CEO, at least I think he was the CEO, someone nwe is at the helm, and as such is taking things in a new direction. He's trying to get kids hooked on McD's so that they are lifelong customers.

Apr 22, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 41
I agree 100%. It's their food that's the problem. No amount of flashy marketing is going to change that.

The food is terrible in terms of quality and the prices are surprisingly high for what you get (wafer-thin burgers). The restaurants are usually either dirty or filled with screaming kids. I will say that the staff are usually pretty friendly though.

Then there's the small matter of their CEO dropping dead last week from a heart attack at an early age. Turns out he was eating lunch at the company cafeteria (a working McDonalds) every day as well as eating the food whenever he'd visit a franchise. Guess he was "lovin' it" a little too much.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a link to Maddox's opinion on this:
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=lovin_it

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 41
Yes, their latest ad campaign is silly, but their marketing is not why I've avoided McDonald's like the plague for the last 15 years. I refuse to eat McDonald's food because it's flavourless and unhealthy.

D.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Then there's the small matter of their CEO dropping dead last week from a heart attack at an early age. Turns out he was eating lunch at the company cafeteria (a working McDonalds) every day as well as eating the food whenever he'd visit a franchise. Guess he was "lovin' it" a little too much.

Now there's a PR nightmare I am just waiting to see how they wiggle out of.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 41
I'm convinced their food has gotten worse since the mid 90's. I'll bet at some point (maybe late 90's) they started cost-cutting by using fattier beef, lower quality potatoes, etc.

The last time I ate there (several months ago?) I got a cheeseburger literally dripping with grease. It was really pretty gross... tilt it to one side and the grease just runs off like a river. The bun was practically soaked through. Uggh...
plainface.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 41
mmm...don't care too much for Rotten Ronnie's....wafer thin burgers...I thought the Big Mac was pretty large...but it seems to have gotten smaller and smaller...I don't remember the last time I went there...it was quite a long time ago...and I don't see their advertisements too often...don't watch much TV...but that 'ba da ba da da' theme by Timberlake just annoys me...

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 41
Living in SoCal means one incredible thing: In-n-Out Burgers. MAN, these are the best burgers in teh world. When my dad flies from MD to visit us he goes there for his first meal in CA. I got him hooked years ago while I was in the Navy.

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 41
I've always hated McDonalds. The only thing that used to be good was their fries, and that was back when I was a kid.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Living in SoCal means one incredible thing: In-n-Out Burgers. MAN, these are the best burgers in teh world. When my dad flies from MD to visit us he goes there for his first meal in CA. I got him hooked years ago while I was in the Navy.

In-N-Out is definitely addictive. Give me a double-double (minus the cheese), extra onions, and an order of fries...I'm good to go. On a more unhealthy note, there is a chain around here called "Superb Burgers" that serve a mammoth sized hamburger topped with hot pastrami. Man I can feel my arteries hardening and my blood pressure peaking just thinking about it.

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 41
Didn't the CEO of McD die yesterday? These commercials have been going on for a while, and they're all disturbing. The most disturbing? The won where the little kid is so happy that his mom brought him McDonalds that he sings "now I know why my dad made mom his wife." uuhhhh...

In-N-Out -- now that is quality fast food. I'm even willing to ignore the religious messages on their wrappers to have these burgers. It's been so long since I've had one though.
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 41
I ate a lot of McD when I was in the states - usually before every homegame - but not so often anymore. We don't got free refill.

My favorit fastfood is proberbly Taco Bell or Subway. Taco bell is okay but it dosen't beat a "real" mexican resturant. Subway is good, but expensive. It also tend to like the "smaller" local sub places... there's one in Boulder, Co. but I don't remember what it's called. Same area as the Whole Food (which by the way got pretty good food too.)

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 41
McDonalds is still the bomb. I don't care if the quality is low, there is nowhere else on earth that you are going to get a cheeseburger quite as tasty as a classic McDonalds burger. I don't know what it is, i admit its a pathetic thin, little burger, but the flavor is unique.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 41
Speaking about marketing campaigns, what about those Quizno's commercials? Those furry little things creep me out. They remind me of not quite dead roadkill. I'm never eating there again. I'd be thinking I'm eating one of those things anytime I bit into a sub.

Tom

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by hero zero
mmm...don't care too much for Rotten Ronnie's....wafer thin burgers...I thought the Big Mac was pretty large...but it seems to have gotten smaller and smaller...I don't remember the last time I went there...it was quite a long time ago...and I don't see their advertisements too often...don't watch much TV...but that 'ba da ba da da' theme by Timberlake just annoys me...

Which brings us to:

Old lady #1: "It's a big, fluffy bun."

Old lady #2: "Where's the beef?!"
biggrin.gif

The Big Mac is nothing but bun and lettuce with thousand island dressing and maybe some cheese. I think the last one I had had beef patties the size of a dime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back