I'm lost... I don't know what DIY Headphone amp to build.
Aug 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 23
1. 390uV is not that great for ripple, considering audiophile specs.  Most quality DIY power supplies are going to be 60uV or less.
2. Messing with a transformer and line-voltage wiring is something that can do great damage, if not done right.  Further, line voltage wiring with a bare transformer is something that has the potential to kill you under the right circumstances.  It is not a suitable project for a beginner.
3. Casework - the link they give for the ready-made case doesn't work.  I don't know if that was a mistake or they simply don't have stock anymore.  The error message appears to indicate no stock.  In any event, casework can be daunting for a beginner.  Also, see Item #2 above.  Locating the transformer so that it doesn't increase ripple and hum into the circuit is not trivial.  You should probably build a separate enclosure attached through an umbilical, but again - more casework.

At least it's not like many of the Chinese ebay amplifier kits I've seen.  Most have no power supply at all - and I'm not talking about the lack of a walwart.  Every amplifier circuit has a sophisticated power supply circuit of some sort, unless it's powered with batteries - and then a charger is usually in the circuit.  Anyway, it's a good thing that it has the power supply, even if that means a bare transformer and messing with line voltage.  It just depends on whether you have the experience to mess with that.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 23
I've built a bunch of these eBay amps of various designs and all of them now reside in my spare parts bin. Don't waste your time.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 23
Hi,

I'll second MisterX's opinion.  I have built the CK2III and was duly impressed.  While you are on AMB's web site, check out the M3.  Another great amp, but it is a bit bigger and a bit more expensive.   Support is excellent, parts are easy to obtain and building is a snap. 

Me

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 23
I second anything from AMB.  I have only built one of his boards, but It was very well designed, and I am in fact in the process of buying boards and components for a B22 build.

If I may suggest, if you are looking at a O2 kit, go over to the DIY Audio forums.  They have a thread that goes over building the O2, which helped me a great deal when I built mine.

If I may also suggest, Look at AGDRs take on the O2 Desktop amp.  his boards are also excellent, and this project has the benefit of being built/designed with a specific case in mind.  In addition, he has the files for the front and rear panels, so you could just send those to Front Panel Express to have custom panels made.
Look under the Headphone systems sub forum.

Elmer

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 23
just avoid the "3-channel" silliness - active ground split supply is a useful, valid technique, but using separate "gnd" for signal and load isn't  - no amount of "testimony" will change the technical defects

I can't believe the waste of all the "3-channel" B22 builds - when you are running from very good-to-excellent dual linear supplies with a "real" ground implemented in perfectly linear, low noise Copper

well implemented two channel B22 should be better on several measurements the "3-channel" crowd mistakenly claim they are improving - other "3-channel" amps do measure worse

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 23
just avoid the "3-channel" silliness - active ground split supply is a useful, valid technique, but using separate "gnd" for signal and load isn't  - no amount of "testimony" will change the technical defects

A bit too late... As I have already ordered everything from mouser ... Last week lol

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 23
so you have a spare if you don't stuff the 3rd channel

maybe we could round up a bunch of "3-channel" owners willing to upgrade actual noise and distortion performance to 2 channel and get 1/2 a bunch more 2 channel amps "for free"

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 23
Well, I am not going to start a new argument about the benefits of the 3channel layout, there has been plenty of that in the past.  Needless to say, I have 6 boards ordered.  My plan was to start with a 2 board, single power supply build, and then to build 2 more boards for a balanced build.  And then to build the last 2 boards as a second 2 channel rig for my office.

But, you do bring up a interesting point about building a duel mono version which is what I think you were talking about, each board having its own power supply.  So I will be building the second power supply before I build the second set of 2 boards to try this out, and we will see if my old abused ears can hear any difference.

I currently have HD880 600ohm and HD650's to listen to.

and sorry to de-rail this thread!

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 23
  Well, I am not going to start a new argument about the benefits of the 3channel layout, there has been plenty of that in the past.  Needless to say, I have 6 boards ordered.  My plan was to start with a 2 board, single power supply build, and then to build 2 more boards for a balanced build.  And then to build the last 2 boards as a second 2 channel rig for my office.

But, you do bring up a interesting point about building a duel mono version which is what I think you were talking about, each board having its own power supply.  So I will be building the second power supply before I build the second set of 2 boards to try this out, and we will see if my old abused ears can hear any difference.

I currently have HD880 600ohm and HD650's to listen to.

and sorry to de-rail this thread!

Most experienced B22 builders seem to agree that there's no benefit with the active ground channel in a balanced configuration.  Despite what some say, the third channel in a single-ended configuration is much more debatable.  You have to know how to measure one to get truly valid results.  Many don't.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 23
Honestly, I just wanted to build an amp. They all cost about the same amount....

So what if I chose a 3 channel? Literally, so what? It still sounds good, right? There are still people who have built it and love it, right? If there are any issues or problems, I also am building the o2 amp...

If there are further and further issues, I now have MULTIPLE opamps I can use for future builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back