I'm looking for...
Jan 5, 2009 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rajveer

New Head-Fier
Since my Rockboxed H10 got stolen...ok I left it in a lecture theatre :/...along with my headphones I've been looking for replacements for both. I used to use Creative EP630s which broke, and got replaced with Sharp FX33s (I used the EP630 tips instead of the Sharp marshmallow ones, and they sounded pretty good so I kept them).

Now I'm looking for a new set of IEM phones, I wouldn't mind something better but I don't really want to go above £40, although for something worth it I'm flexible.

I'm looking for:

- Isolation - isolation in the London Underground is a godsend. I'd buy it without a new DAP just so I don't have to hear the crap the train makes!
- Minimal Leaking - I hate when others can hear my music, and when I can hear theirs
- Low Microphonics - or high...whichever means little noise when the cord gets tapped
- Ergonomic - no unnecessary crap, just a simple lightweight cord which won't weight down and keep causing the buds to fall out of my ears. Oh and no J-type coords, just the standard Y-type, or anything else I don't know about but which is good lol
- Comfortable - something which will stay in my god damn ear and won't keep falling out, coughcough*In-Ear-Phones-That-Came-With-My-w850i*coughcough

As for sound, I want:

Good, clean, deep, fairly loud bass but not overpowering and no sacrifice on the mids and highs. I like bass but I'm going out of hiphop music these days and learning to appreciate the highs and quiet sound effects in the background too
biggrin.gif
With the EP630 tips I think my FX33s got a reduction in bass but for a gain in clarity, which was all good with me

Since my old phones weren't really accurate, rather more "fun" sounding, I'm not sure what I should be going for. I just want something that sounds alive, but not to the point that effects get drowned out. Erm what other words can I come up with...Clean, Clarity, Immersive, Good Bass, Sensitive (i.e. allows the little things to be heard too)

Oh and I hate it when you have a set of earphones which really emphasise something, to the point where every now and then someone singing or a high-hat really screeches in your ear! Think my FX33s did that, can't remember.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Strange, I can't find them on Amazon except for on the US site, mind sending a link?

Also, since these have an integrated mic, is there a converter so it's compatible with the normal 3-pin connector?

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 10
It should be compatible with the regular 3.5 connector by default (the microphone connection just goes into the ground). You aren't going to find many earphones in your budget that will have a low amount of microphonics without wearing them over ear or using a shirt clip.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Ah cool, that makes sense about 4-pin compatibility, thanks for clearing that up. I've read a few reviews on the NE-7Ms and one does mention that since the cables are quite stiff, there is no "rubbing" sound coming through from the earphones which sounds good.

Hmm these look better and better the more I read about them, shame I can't find any distributors in the UK, don't really want to pay any import tax or anything.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 10
If you're looking at the 500's I can't offer an opinion yet. I have the CX400's and Nuforce NE-7M's coming in this week so I'll be able to offer my opinion but you'll have to wait a while. Supposedly the 400's are virtually identical to the 500's but I haven't used both so I have no idea.

I primarily listen to metal, but also instrumental music including anime, gaming music and then random alt rock/radio friendly stuff occasionally. Even if you pay import tax (I have no idea how much that would be) I can't imagine they would be out of your budget with shipping/tax included.

Also, it is sad how slow UPS is. USPS > UPS. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back