I'm looking for headphones+dac+amp under 500$
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

IgorENKO

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am newbie. I have got 500$ and I want buy headphones for PC. I playing games 50% , listen music 40% and watch films sometimes 10%. I decided Beyerdynamic DT990 is the best option for me(Am I right???). I'm thinking about 600ohm (230$) or 250ohm (140$). I haven't got soundcard. I bought Maximus iV gene z and i have sound from this motherboard. So which dac+amp is good for me? Remember I must have good audio in games :D I want real experience in games and positioning.

/sorry for my eng i still studying :wink:

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 14
  Hello, I am newbie. I have got 500$ and I want buy headphones for PC. I playing games 50% , listen music 40% and watch films sometimes 10%. I decided Beyerdynamic DT990 is the best option for me(Am I right???). I'm thinking about 600ohm (230$) or 250ohm (140$). I haven't sound card. I bought Maximus iV gene z and i have sound from this motherboard. So which dac+amp is good for me? Remember I must have good audio in games :D I want real experience in games and positioning.

/sorry for my eng i still studying :wink:

What area (country) do you live in?

Your motherboard comes with fairly decent on-board audio, you might try plugging headphones straight into the motherboard first, see how it sounds, before buying a sound card or DAC or amp.

One option is to get a Schiit Modi (optical) DAC, $99, and a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Connect it to the optical output on the motherboard, so use the on-board for headphone surround sound feature and the DAC/Amp for sound quality.

You might consider the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, as they are only 40-Ohms.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 14
I am from Poland. Soundcard in this mb is very low you can go to asus site, write "maximus iv gene-z" and see soundcard in this mb. I can buy dt990 for 200$ and i am thinki about Aune T1 but it is bad idea for games yes? Or i can buy asus xonar soundcard. I dont know. Can any1 other say something.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 14
In your case, I wouldn't spend too much money on amp/DAC. Remember that the headphones have the biggest influence on sound quality. So $400 for headphone and $100 for amp+dac seems to be a better idea.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 14
I am from Poland. Sound card in this mb is very low you can go to Asus site, write "Maximus iv gene-z" and see sound card in this MB. I can buy DT990 for 200$ and i am think i about Aune T1 but it is bad idea for games yes? Or i can buy Asus Xonar sound card. I don't know. Can any1 other say something.

I would say to get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, here in the USA it sells for around $85
Comes with a DAC chip, a headphone amplifier and headphone surround sound.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Sound Blaster Z ty bro but i dont rly want this card. So many bad reviews. I need dac+amp for dt990 600ohm/250ohm but i must get good sound in games soundstage, positioning etc. When i listen to music i want feel like i can listen it on festival :DDD

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 14
  Sound Blaster Z ty bro but i dont rly want this card. So many bad reviews. I need dac+amp for dt990 600ohm/250ohm but i must get good sound in games soundstage, positioning etc. When i listen to music i want feel like i can listen it on festival :DDD

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270+shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/amp, $355+shipping
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Connect them to the optical port on the motherboard.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Can someone else say something? :p PurpleAngel you said i can buy Schitt Magni+Modi, I'm thinking about it, but O2+ODAC will be better option or not? :/ I read Mad Lust guide and now I dont know whats is better for me AKG K172 Pro or Beyerdynamic DT990 250/600. Help me please :D

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 14
The design goal of O2+ODAC was to provide most transparent sound, so you don't get any special effects. For that, a dedicated gaming soundcard might be more suitable (if it really works, I believe it's possible to add all these effects at software level).

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 14
  "O2+ODAC is very good" when i buy it with dt990 Have I got positioning, surround etc. ? +Better o2+dt990 250 or dt990 600ohm?

USB bypass the sound card features, where as the Audio-GD units come with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs, which work with sound card features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back