1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I'm looking for headphones+dac+amp under 500$

1. IgorENKO
    Hello, I am newbie. I have got 500$ and I want buy headphones for PC. I playing games 50% , listen music 40% and watch films sometimes 10%. I decided Beyerdynamic DT990 is the best option for me(Am I right???). I'm thinking about 600ohm (230$) or 250ohm (140$). I haven't got soundcard. I bought Maximus iV gene z and i have sound from this motherboard. So which dac+amp is good for me? Remember I must have good audio in games :D I want real experience in games and positioning.

/sorry for my eng i still studying :wink:

2. PurpleAngel Contributor

What area (country) do you live in?

Your motherboard comes with fairly decent on-board audio, you might try plugging headphones straight into the motherboard first, see how it sounds, before buying a sound card or DAC or amp.

One option is to get a Schiit Modi (optical) DAC, $99, and a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
    Connect it to the optical output on the motherboard, so use the on-board for headphone surround sound feature and the DAC/Amp for sound quality.

You might consider the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, as they are only 40-Ohms.

3. IgorENKO
    I am from Poland. Soundcard in this mb is very low you can go to asus site, write "maximus iv gene-z" and see soundcard in this mb. I can buy dt990 for 200$ and i am thinki about Aune T1 but it is bad idea for games yes? Or i can buy asus xonar soundcard. I dont know. Can any1 other say something.

4. ieee754
    In your case, I wouldn't spend too much money on amp/DAC. Remember that the headphones have the biggest influence on sound quality. So $400 for headphone and $100 for amp+dac seems to be a better idea.

5. PurpleAngel Contributor

I would say to get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, here in the USA it sells for around $85
    Comes with a DAC chip, a headphone amplifier and headphone surround sound.

6. IgorENKO
    Sound Blaster Z ty bro but i dont rly want this card. So many bad reviews. I need dac+amp for dt990 600ohm/250ohm but i must get good sound in games soundstage, positioning etc. When i listen to music i want feel like i can listen it on festival :DDD

7. PurpleAngel Contributor

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270+shipping.
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/amp, $355+shipping
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Connect them to the optical port on the motherboard.

8. IgorENKO
    Can someone else say something? :p PurpleAngel you said i can buy Schitt Magni+Modi, I'm thinking about it, but O2+ODAC will be better option or not? :/ I read Mad Lust guide and now I dont know whats is better for me AKG K172 Pro or Beyerdynamic DT990 250/600. Help me please :D

9. IgorENKO
    @refresh

10. IgorENKO
    @refresh :DD

11. cel4145
    O2+ODAC is very good. NFB-15 has a better headphone amp than the O2 in terms of power.

12. IgorENKO
    "O2+ODAC is very good" when i buy it with dt990 Have I got positioning, surround etc. ? +Better o2+dt990 250 or dt990 600ohm?

13. ieee754
    The design goal of O2+ODAC was to provide most transparent sound, so you don't get any special effects. For that, a dedicated gaming soundcard might be more suitable (if it really works, I believe it's possible to add all these effects at software level).

14. PurpleAngel Contributor

USB bypass the sound card features, where as the Audio-GD units come with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) inputs, which work with sound card features.