im looking for a good headphone
Apr 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FrogYS

New Head-Fier
im looking for high quality headphones that will connect to a dac, pc (wired) and tv.

my current headphone lasted 10 years (i think) i used Sennheiser Momentum and was happy with it. but its pretty much done so time to upgrade. and i really dont know where to start.
my budget can go for 500$-700$, i intend to use them for a very long time.
regarding the budget, since i dont trust online shopping with expensive electronics (although i am a flexible guy) and headphones are far more expensive in my country than in other countries, its kinda hard to measure the price.

i read the type of music matters, but i listen to pretty much everything.

any help would be helpful. thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 13
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AIVA ear pads, about $250 total, shipped to your door.

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 13
It would help to know whether you are in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, USA.

And while you listen to everything, what bands/groups/orchestras/choirs do you listen to most?
you are asking region because of shipping stuff, well, i guess its europe.

its hard to say what type of music i listen to. it changes frequently, depending what i want to listen to at that moment.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 13
I've had a lot come in this week for a business, here's a couple that stand out I really like.
Bose quiet comfort II 35 In low noise cancelling mode they sound better than the Sony X3 or Sennheiser Momentum 2 (we have both wired and wireless of those).
AKG k371pro, best mobile device sound I've heard so far. Better bass than a SHP9500.
Hifiman HE400i with EQ, best value in planar magnetic. The 2016 version is what I have, the flat headband is so much more comfortable.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 13
I've had a lot come in this week for a business, here's a couple that stand out I really like.
Bose quiet comfort II 35 In low noise cancelling mode they sound better than the Sony X3 or Sennheiser Momentum 2 (we have both wired and wireless of those).
AKG k371pro, best mobile device sound I've heard so far. Better bass than a SHP9500.
Hifiman HE400i with EQ, best value in planar magnetic. The 2016 version is what I have, the flat headband is so much more comfortable.
im not using my headphones with anything mobile. its for home usage only.

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 13
Apr 28, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Your Momentums are closed-back headphones. Found sound quality, open-backed cans are generally considered better (for a price point I guess), so how important to you is isolation? Are there others around who would be bothered by leaking sound? I recently got a pair of Sennheiser (Drop) HD6XX, which are open-back. The sound is well known and like nothing I've had before, but my PC fans are noisy enough to bother me.

I would chip in that in the open-back category you could consider the Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX and the similar in quality ATH-R70X. Do you have a store in the area where you could try out quality heaphones?

I take it from the original post that you already have a dac + amp.

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 13
im looking for high quality headphones that will connect to a dac, pc (wired) and tv.

my current headphone lasted 10 years (i think) i used Sennheiser Momentum and was happy with it. but its pretty much done so time to upgrade. and i really dont know where to start.
my budget can go for 500$-700$, i intend to use them for a very long time.
regarding the budget, since i dont trust online shopping with expensive electronics (although i am a flexible guy) and headphones are far more expensive in my country than in other countries, its kinda hard to measure the price.

i read the type of music matters, but i listen to pretty much everything.

any help would be helpful. thanks.
I had the Sennheiser Momentum a few years ago and gave them to my son after a while.
They have a very mainstream tuning with thick, heavy bass somewhat balanced by a decently resolving upper midrange and treble.
It was a wired Momentum, I think it was the 2nd Generation.

If you like that kind of tuning I'd look at the Meze 99 Classic and Neo 99 models.
If are looking for something more "audiophile" and neutral, then the Sennheiser HD650 and HD600 are really legendary, easily available and well within your price range.
Both are slightly rolled off in the lower bass and the HD650 is a little warmer. Both are famous for excellent midrange and a rather limited in-your-head soundstage.

If you want to have a more open sounding, slightly brighter sound with very good detail and layering for the price, the Hifiman Sundara is a good choice.
I was originally looking at a headphone in your price range and the Sundara was my favorite, just didn't buy it because I increased my budget. The Sundara is a Planar magnetic headphone and as such will need a dedicated DAC/Amp with enough power to be driven well. But in this price range a decent source is anyway a worthy expense to make the headphone sing!

My personal choice for a headphone and source at your budget would be the Hifiman Sundara or one of the Sennheisers with a used Chord Mojo (original), but other DAC/Amps might be easier to come buy.

And it would be best of course if you could listen to the headphones before you buy!
Cheers and good luck!

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Although in several ways they're almost impossible beat at any price, I don't recommend HD 600/650/6XX unless you already have, or are willing to spend significant money on an amp.

Depending on where in Europe you are, and if you can afford it, the Audeze LCD-2C (classic) is a wonderful all around set of headphones. They won't sound their best off a laptop, but they're relatively easily driven if you have a receiver or midrange DAC. They are warm, a bit dark, with good slam and no sonic defects at the price.

I haven't heard the HE 400i nor the Sundara mentioned in this thread but they might be a good start also, even if not as good as the LCD-2C.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 13
BTW I have a 1st gen Mojo with a dead/dying battery which works fine off a Samsung phone charger. I haven't put it up for sale but since @surfgeorge mentioned it, FYI I have one available.

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 13
If you're willing to go open-back and use part of your budget for a little amp, I'd second the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. A-T looked at the Sennheiser HD600, made it superlight and more comfortable, and opened up the bass and treble.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Thomann.de probably has the best price in Europe. I was torn between ATH-R70X and Sundara and I chose the ATH-R70X. I think I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back