I'm Interested In Rockbox...Help/Questions?
Feb 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone straight up explain to me what rockbox is? I know it is a player and it encodes a certain way.

I have a ipod 5.5g video, I want to get rockbox, how do I go about doing tihs, tutorials. What do I do with all my mpeg song files already in itunes? what is FLAC? any input on people who have already done it?

Is rockbox worth it, my ipod is only 30gb, but i only fill it 10g worth, with 2000 songs. I want to start encoding at higher bit rates/lossless to get better sound..

Thanks for any help.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do I do with all my mpeg song files already in itunes?

Nothing, once they are lossy just leave them be, or they get worse.

Quote:

what is FLAC? any input on people who have already done it?

Its a lossless format, sort of like a CD that was been zipped up or rar'ed.

Quote:

Is rockbox worth it, my ipod is only 30gb, but i only fill it 10g worth, with 2000 songs. I want to start encoding at higher bit rates/lossless to get better sound..

You dont have to have rockbox for lossless on your ipod, you can use apple lossless.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing, once they are lossy just leave them be, or they get worse.

Its a lossless format, sort of like a CD that was been zipped up or rar'ed.

You dont have to have rockbox for lossless on your ipod, you can use apple lossless.

Thanks for the info. I heard that you have a better EQ control with rockbox , and that is what I was most interested in.. I know about apple loseless.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 17
is this in the wrong forum??? Maybe should be in "portable"

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

Thanks for the link but need more info. How does it work etc? User opinions of it??? Can i still play my mp3's???

Maybe i'll just stick with itunes and encode lossless.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 17
You can play all of the same codecs as an ipod, and more!

Basically, you run a bootloader program when your ipod is connected, and it makes your ipod able to dual boot rockbox. Then, you download the current build for rockbox, and a fonts folder, and put them on the root of your ipod's hard-drive. Then, you can boot into rockbox by putting on the hold switch when the ipod boots.

There is a much better parametric EQ, as well as a lot of cool features.

The only real problem is that it eats battery life.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

You can play all of the same codecs as an ipod, and more!

Basically, you run a bootloader program when your ipod is connected, and it makes your ipod able to dual boot rockbox. Then, you download the current build for rockbox, and a fonts folder, and put them on the root of your ipod's hard-drive. Then, you can boot into rockbox by putting on the hold switch when the ipod boots.

There is a much better parametric EQ, as well as a lot of cool features.

The only real problem is that it eats battery life.

you cant play apple lossles on it... :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

uh....yeah you can. I have been for some time.

where is a download link/ instructions?

What about games i have on my ipod???

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Current Rockbox Builds

Then click 'ipod Video 60/80gb' and follow the readme. Also, if you don't like rockbox you can easily reverse it so its just the normal apple firmware.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current Rockbox Builds

Then click 'ipod Video 60/80gb' and follow the readme. Also, if you don't like rockbox you can easily reverse it so its just the normal apple firmware.

Thanks. I can't find the readme file? i found the manual thoughh...

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Ok got it on my ipod. i did the manual installation. Do i have to enable ipod for disk use?????

and also, how do I put playlists and stuf on roxbox? how do I manage my songs???

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 17
if you have a Window-based PC, download MediaMonkey. You can export your playlists (.m3u) to the Rockbox. Also, this is a VERY easy program to manage your music...

iPod Video tutorial
YouTube - IPod Rockbox installation video for 5g or 5.5g video ipod.

I used this, very easy and informative...
Only, I removed rockbox since I have MANY purchased iTunes songs that have the DRM... (remember, you have to install yet ANOTHER program if you have purchased through iTunes). However, you're sound will be excellent, no joke about that!

Quote:

Do i have to enable ipod for disk use?????

Yes, you have to... (You export your .m3u to your ipod drive via Windows Explorer or whatever.)

Also, I have not yet tried to run it through my car stereo, but I tried through my iHome and, yeah... not very compatible (so be careful about your compatibility).
P.S. Remember to research/search before you post to avoid expert frustration and lack-of-patience... Trust me, I [unfortunately] know from experience...

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #15 of 17
^thank you! i dont like roxbox because of the battery draining. otherwise its cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back