I'm in China, HELP!
Jul 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
haha i'm in china (beijing)for the summer visiting my parents, i live in haidian district

however, my chinese is horrible, not to mention i cant read or write.

anyways, to the point. where can i go to do some nice audio sampling and shopping? or better yet, anyone in town want to meet up and show me around.

coolbeans.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Youre visiting your parents, so i assume you were born in China , and you cant speak,read,or write Chinese? What made you leave China if your family is there?
I hope your not in the area where the fighting is going on.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youre visiting your parents, so i assume you were born in China , and you cant speak,read,or write Chinese? What made you leave China if your family is there?
I hope your not in the area where the fighting is going on.

i was born in taiwan, my family moved to NY when i was young.

my parents moved to beijing 2 years ago due to my dad's work, this is my first time in mainland china, and my parents never lived in mainland until they moved here neither.

ps- is there a better section to post this in? this is such a random section.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 7
in shanghai right now; posted a similar question recently about audio shopping in china. the consensus seems to be (in guidebooks, websites, and forum communities like this one) that you can find (mostly chinese-made) audio gear in certain gadget malls, and music (almost exclusively CDs) in many streets. I haven't as yet seen any hardware for sale at a significant discount to anywhere else (and didn't expect to, given the web-based business model adopted by more and more merchants).

a better plan for a music fan traveling places is to try and catch some live music!

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Equally important as anything else is to know where to eat in Beijing. Check out some travel review websites like tripadvisor, frommer, or virtualtourist.

Albeit a bit pricey, a very good Peking Duck is offered by Da Dong Roast Duck in the Chaoyang District. Just don't go to QuanJuDe whose Peking duck is just as bad as the restaurant is famous.

If you go to the Great Wall, try to venture to "Simatai", which is the furthest of the three Great Wall spots but also by far the best and most authentic.

Plenty of spots to go shopping and the experiences are all very similar. There a huge malls everywhere if you're into that. I would recommend shopping for some tea in traditional tea shops.

Also don't miss out on a foot massage. Just pick a place that looks respectable.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 7
My Shures fell apart in Shanghai and I did a little bit of searching and found this reputable dealer: ¶ú»ú¡¤Öйú£*°²Èó¹«Ë¾´úÀí¸÷ÖÖÊÀ½çÃûÅƶú»ú Address is here: 北京西城区车公庄大街甲4号物华大厦B0902 (chegongzhuang da jie, jia 4 hao, wuhuadasha #b0902). The place is called "安润" (An Run). (I went to their Shanghai outlet)

This is probably the best place to get Westones.. On the website they list the price for the 3's and UM3x as 2800RMB (about 400 USD), but when you show up in person they give you their ebay price of 2100 RMB (about 300 USD), which is a hundred less than it goes for in the US for a new pair. They're also authorised dealers for UEs, shures, etc.. Not sure if any other brands have discounts though.

It may take more Chinese ability than you have, but all the brand names are in English so you may be able to get around just by clicking. But their ebay shop/prices are here (which is what you should get in person, so don't pay more than you should):

°²Èó¶ú»úÉϺ£Æì½¢µê-¼ÒÓõçÆ÷/hifiÒôÏì/¶ú»ú - ÌÔ±¦Íø

For massage, check this place out: Bodhi è©æ - Beijing Health & Beauty Blind Massage/Spas Listings - City Weekend Guide

It's right opposite Vics and Mix, the two best hip hop/R&B clubs in Beijing, if you're into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back